Escape 5.0 build sheet and recommendations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2020, 01:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Escape 5.0 build sheet and recommendations

Hi all,

I have 2 weeks left to finalize my build sheet for Escape 5.0. It's scheduled to deliver in March 2021, very excited. We plan to use it mostly in weekends and summer, with 2 kids. I'm not a handy person so I've picked most of the options available. I'd love to hear your feedback on these options, floor/formica/color choices.

2021, Escape 5.0 Tandem Axle Base Price: 29,995 29,995
Interior Choice: Maple No Cost -
Standard Options:
Oven with 3 Burner Cooktop (includes bi-fold stove cover and black rangehood) 480 480
Microwave (built into cabinet) 110 110
Two-way Hot Water Tank (Propane & 120V) 170 170
Foot Flush Toilet 48 48
Toilet Shut Off Valve (for winterization) 24 24
Exterior Shower (Driver and/or Passenger Side) Double: One Each Side 140 280
Lithium Ion Battery (100Ah) 2 # 1,150 1,950
Inverter 1500W (Includes transfer switch and all outlets) Note: Option requires battery selection 890 890
190W Solar Panel with Charge Controller 710 710
Additional 190W Solar Panel 480 480
Zamp Solar Port wired to Regulator Note: Only if Solar Panel selected 110 110
Electrical Management System with Surge Protector 350 350
Removable Power Cord 130 130
Power Awning (Dometic 9500E) 950 950
LED Awning Light Strip 150 150
Upgraded Air Conditioner with Bluetooth compatibility (Coleman Mach 10 13,500 BTU) 1,220 1,220
Heat Strip for Air Conditioner 110 110
Number Pad Door Lock (includes key) 155 155
Wireless Back-Up Camera (display monitor wired with 12V plug) 425 425
Tank Level Monitoring System (SeeLevel II) 540 540
Frameless Windows (including split-opening rear window) 930 930
Window in Bathroom (opening, frameless) 250 250
Body Lift Kit (required if truck side wall height exceeds 56") 340 340
Double Step Entry Step (replaces standard single step) 40 40
Exterior Access Hatch (rear passenger side) 140 140
Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter (low pressure) 130 130
Spray Foam Insulation for Under Trailer (without Heat Pads) 640 640
Convert Bench Seat to U-Shaped Dinette 330 330
Stainless Steel Backsplash in Kitchen 72 72
Lagun Adjustable Swiveling Table Mount Only available with U-shaped
dinette 315 315

Reinforced Walls #1, #2, #5 Quantity 3 80 240
Exterior 12V/USB Outlet (passenger side, under rear clearance light) 60 60
Additional 12V/USB Interior Outlet #3, #4, #5 Quantity 3 60 180
Additional Exterior LED Light (centered at rear of trailer, located above belly band) 60 60
Additional LED Captains Reading Lamp ALL 4 locations Quantity 4 32 128
Counter Extension #1 Quantity 1 68 68
Retractable Wall Hooks (3 hooks per set) #1, #2, #3, #5, #6 Quantity 5 47 235
Standard Flooring: New Castle Knights Armor #4031 No Cost -
Standard Formica: Portico Marble #7735-58 No Cost -
Trim Choice: Cream (Note: Relates to trim for Formica) No Cost -
Standard Fabric: Chinchilla Ultra Leather #6009 No Cost -
Full Wrap on Cushions (Standard fabric) 80 80
Graphics Colour: Majestic Blue #625 No Cost -

Filled Propane Tanks 48 48
Water Hose 8 8
Water Pressure Regulator 28 28
X - Chocks 72 72
Extendable Wall Mount TV Arm (For 15" - 22" TVs) Note: Supplied only, not
installed by Escape 80 80
Leveling Blocks (Set of 10) 44 44
Sewer Tube Kit (includes adapter) 40 40
Additional sewer tube holder (for storage purposes) 60 60
Vented Trailer Cover 348 348
dragontale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
There are almost 14,000 members on this forum, so that’s approximately how many opinions you’ll get. There is also a wide range of DIY-ness from people who consider their trailer more or less a blank canvas to people like you and me. There is a broad spectrum of lifestyles from RV park glamping to being totally off the grid in the wilderness. And finally, there’s a broad range of experience from those who have been RVing for decades to those, like me, who are just setting out on this adventure.

A lot of your decisions should depend on how you expect to camp. Are you a hookup to shore power and spend the day at the RV pool, or will you boondock and get your bikes or hiking shoes out to explore the surroundings? To paraphrase others here, if you’re not sure yet, and you can afford it, you are better to have an option you don’t use than to not have an option you need.

Although I’m a year behind you in delivery, I have thought long and hard on the 2021 options list and read extensively here. My current list is very similar to yours.

Some thoughts:
Oven. I watched the ETI convection microwave oven youtube this week and am intrigued. This would replace the oven and would open up the microwave cupboard for storage for only a little more $. If you get 2 or more Lithium batteries this oven will run off batteries.

Electricity: There is a lot of $$ here but I’m planning about the same as you. There is a lot of discussion of Lithium batteries in the cold, so your winter storage plans may be a factor. If you decide to bring them in, it’s nice to know they’re light.

Plugs: The latest iPhone has newer USB-C charging cables which emphasizes that the current USB-A plug is winding down. I plan to just get the 12V sockets, then buy “cigarette lighter” adapters to charge USB devices.

Reinforced walls: This seems like a lot, but rambunctious kids?

External access port: Would like to know your rationale. I think the batteries may be behind that door in the 5? Others will have more knowledge.

Windows: I understand the awning windows are better in the rain and some think they look nicer, but I will be content with the sliders.

Dinette: I would get your tape measure out and mock it up at home. The side seats become 30” wide and the length of the back seat 36” so there may be a bit of pushing and shoving from the rugrats. The extra storage is nice and it’s certainly a more comfortable lounge area.

Decor: Everyone has their own thoughts. This is my current thinking. Floor: Havana Tobacco, Counter & extension: Giallo.
If possible, table: Portico Marble, Cupboards: Maple, Fabric: Summit Ash. (full wrap)

I like to see how people are leaning since it helps me clarify my choices. Thank you for posting yours.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #3

Hi Steve,

My goal for the escape build is to get roughly right so I don't miss anything I'd regret later. These options are expensive and have raised the price by 50% from the base model, I've been debating the things I want to have vs things I can skip, these are what I have now.

Oven. I actually had convection microwave in the initial build sheet, for the reasons you listed. I changed to 3 burner + oven and regular microwave because of the battery power requirement. We cook quite a bit and we like hot food, we plan to boon-dock from time to time, having both propane and battery as two energy sources provides additional energy reliability I wanted.

Electricity: Yes, these options are expensive, but I decided to pay up, as I don't want to run out battery power in the middle of 3-day stay.

Plugs: Yes USB-C is gaining traction, I still have a lot of gadgets with regular USB connection, and there is only $20 difference for the outlet, so I just went with 12V+USB outlet.

Reinforced walls: I definitely need the reenforced wall #5, as I want to install a handle there for getting up/down the stairs; #1 & #2 are locations I could potentially hang other things

External access port: My reason was to get access to battery and inverter easily, working from dinette seems quite limited in space. I'm not sure about this option and would like to hear what others think, I'd love to skip this option and save some $$ if I can.

Windows: I've been debating between frameless and slider myself, I like the slider windows can open more widely, frameless is better in the rain. Would love to hear other folks opinion.

Dinette: It's very limited space for sure, I looked at the videos and think we should be fine.

Decor: I'm getting samples from ESI next week, I like the interior to be light, agree it's very much a personal preference. I'm also considering Havana Tabacco floor. For counter top I'm not really sure which light color I'd like yet. I'd have picked Monroe Steel for fabric, but it's very visible to any stain, can't really have that with 2 kids.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontale View Post
Oven. I actually had convection microwave in the initial build sheet, for the reasons you listed. I changed to 3 burner + oven and regular microwave because of the battery power requirement. We cook quite a bit and we like hot food, we plan to boon-dock from time to time, having both propane and battery as two energy sources provides additional energy reliability I wanted.
Convection Oven / Microwave – Although we like the convection oven, we thought we would be able to use it for lunch stops, overnight stops, coffee / tea etc. It is too energy dependent for use when we are not plugged in

Electricity: Yes, these options are expensive, but I decided to pay up, as I don't want to run out battery power in the middle of 3-day stay.
We are heavy users of inverter electric (battery) and have found the single 170 watt solar and two 6 volts very adequate. Except traveling during winter weather and use of the furnace would the 3 days you mention come into play. I haven't had the need but if I were wanting more battery lasting power I would have a Zamp port installed and then buy a portable if and when the occasion arose that we needed more. Another option to consider is two solar panels.

Reinforced walls: I definitely need the reinforced wall #5, as I want to install a handle there for getting up/down the stairs; #1 & #2 are locations I could potentially hang other things
We are in our 70's and have not found the stairs a problem. I know others have and installed railings. Some have reinforced that wall while others mount to the wall framing thereby not needing to add the wall reinforcement.
We did not reinforce any walls and we have not found a need to

External access port: My reason was to get access to battery and inverter easily, working from dinette seems quite limited in space. I'm not sure about this option and would like to hear what others think, I'd love to skip this option and save some $$ if I can.
We have the all outlet wired inverter and use it extensively, ie: laptop computer with two additional screens (8 or more hours a day), another laptop, our instant pot, toaster, phone charging, hair dryer, 120 volt television streaming. Others find that 12 volt is adequate for them. Depends on what you feel will be your use both now and in the future.

Windows: I've been debating between frameless and slider myself, I like the slider windows can open more widely, frameless is better in the rain. Would love to hear other folks opinion.
Frameless Thermal Windows 440*We have them and like the looks, no problems with them.
Be aware if you get the manual awning, there may be some interference between the closed awning and the open window. I think this is the case with all the models, but maybe not.

Here is our list of "MUST HAVES" including mods we've made
Lagun
Outside dish washing station (Passenger side shower) w/ Flex Spout -
https://www.etrailer.com/search/Flexspout
Soar / dual 6 volt batteries
Rear View Camera / We use it more in traffic than when backing up
Air Conditioning
Split Rear Bench
Rear Seat Addable Extension (7”) MOD
Counter Extension and Electric Outlet at step (5.0)
Medicine Cabinet Bungees MOD
Starter Kit
Leveling Blocks
Foam Kneeling pad (purchased)
Counter Extension by Sink

And here is our list of our Would get Unless on a tight budget
Inverter
Top Step Hinged 5.0 (MOD)
Front Hatch Opened Up (5.0) (MOD)
Rear Seat Extension (MOD)
Bath window
U-Shaped Dinette
All 4 corners cut on table
Full Wrap Cushions
Larger and deeper sink (not sure the good outweighs the bad (extra
water usage)
White Belly Band
ETI Step Stool
Spring Loaded Storeage Bars
Ryobi Cordless Tools – drill (socket for stabilizers) leaf blower, work
light, lantern, vacuum, fan, 2 batteries, charger
Old 11-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
"ETI step stool"- never seen one.............?
Old 11-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"ETI step stool"- never seen one.............?
Similar to this, we bought it from ETI when picking up the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Step Stool.jpeg  
Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
This one makes you look good using it.
Attached Thumbnails
stool.jpg  
Old 11-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #8

Thanks for your reply Ron, that's very helpful.

I've been debating whether to go with dual 6V battery or to go with Lithium battery, there is huge cost difference, ESI told me the inverter and control would be different for lead battery vs lithium battery, lithium seems to be the way to go in the future, I thought I'd just pay up and get lithium.

It's great to know you don't find steps to bed to be an issue, I hope I could say the same when I'm in my 70s! :-)
Old 11-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Reinforcement: I was very fortunate to see a 5.0 recently and they had iinstalled a vertical grab handle at the top of the stairs right at the corner in the driver side. It was very secure and helpful for this old codger and would not need reinforcement. I will still plan to reinforce wall 5 because I might eventually want a grab bar inside the bathroom.

Batteries: Couple of points re access. With the Laguna mount, you can remove the table to get to the battery compartment fairly easily. So that should be easier. With Lithium you won’t need to access them to check fluid levels whereas with lead you would. Many/most find the lead acid very acceptable but I plan to spend the $ on lithium for lighter weight, better charge/discharge behaviour and no maintenance. It might make that external hatch less critical for you unless you want to store long things (pool noodles, skis, paddles, outdoor play stuff) or have a place to stuff the kids if they’re misbehaving. Kidding!!!!

All the best.

I’m reading these other comments with interest. I too will be getting that second stool.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Get a bigger sink!

Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We had a much larger 5th wheel previously with a large convection microwave. It was a big power hog and needed a lot of ventilation. I just don't think the one offered would work very well as a convection oven because it's awfully small. It's a different way to cook and once we got used to it we liked it so I'm not against them but just not in that small environment.
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthorns View Post
We had a much larger 5th wheel previously with a large convection microwave. It was a big power hog and needed a lot of ventilation. I just don't think the one offered would work very well as a convection oven because it's awfully small. It's a different way to cook and once we got used to it we liked it so I'm not against them but just not in that small environment.
We have the Convection/Microwave in our 5.0 and have no problem with heat.

Per H46Driver " We love ours. Reace made the cabinet to the exact specs required for clearances and heat is NOT an issue at all. I've checked it with a temp gun by removing the adjacent drawers and shooting all around it - negligible increases in temps."

That said, although we do like the convection oven/microwave, had I known then what I know now about the wattage use I would have foregone the convection microwave and gone with an after market inverter microwave.
Per Vermilye "my 950 watt microwave draws 140 amps when run at full power. It is an inverter microwave that can be "turned down" to as little as 250 watts".
Old 11-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Get a bigger sink!
A bigger sink will use more water, remember that.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A bigger sink will use more water, remember that.
You can always use a tub or container of some sort in the sink for washing the dishes. You don't need to fill the whole sink with water. Remember that. What a deeper sink does do, is it keeps the water inside the sink, not splashed all over... like the counter, blinds, floor or me!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Get a bigger sink!
This is the larger stainless sink we ordered. It was 16X16X8. it says UNDERMOUNT, but it works either way. It is from Wayfair.ca and they shipped it to ETI. We are happy with the size, doesn't seem too large.

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...-ruvt1499.html

https://www.wayfair.ca/home-improvem...-ruvt1499.html

If doing it again we'd probably check out the Houzer Quartztone*sink (for it's good looks).
Attached Thumbnails
Sink Parmi+16%22+L+x+16%22+W+Undermount+Bar+Sink.jpg   Before turning Counter Extension at door.jpg  
Old 11-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Ronn,

Is this what you mean? Dimensions are: 15.75” x 15.75” x 8”
https://www.houzersink.com/product/q...bar-prep-sink/

This is quite similar to another (Cristalite) that Dana suggested, but the good part seems that we could buy / have it delivered to ETI directly in Canada...
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:49 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
That’s the one
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Ronn,

Is this what you mean? Dimensions are: 15.75” x 15.75” x 8”
https://www.houzersink.com/product/q...bar-prep-sink/

This is quite similar to another (Cristalite) that Dana suggested, but the good part seems that we could buy / have it delivered to ETI directly in Canada...
Yes, I haven't done any research into it, I just wanted to put out the general idea in my post.
I think it is a good looking sink and now I think I should not have overridden Colleen. I actually didn't override her choice, I just didn't show her that sink option as I was trying to stay with the stainless theme. I should have guessed she'd see it in someone else's trailer someday!
Old 11-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0ta
When we bought our 5.0 wanted maple also until we found out there was no back splash on the kitchen counter so went with oak glad we did. I'm not sure but I think they offer a stainless steel backsplash now. The idea of silverware and pans on the counter next to vinyl made us switch to oak
Me@42659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
This is the larger stainless sink we ordered. It was 16X16X8. it says UNDERMOUNT, but it works either way. It is from Wayfair.ca and they shipped it to ETI. We are happy with the size, doesn't seem too large.

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...-ruvt1499.html

https://www.wayfair.ca/home-improvem...-ruvt1499.html

If doing it again we'd probably check out the Houzer Quartztone*sink (for it's good looks).
Can it be mounted in the Escape as an undermount?
lbrower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape 5.0 build sheet