Flopping on the u-shaped dinette - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Flopping on the u-shaped dinette

Okay, for those eagerly awaiting my review of flopping around on the u-shaped dinette, here it is! You don't have to wait with bated breath any longer.

Thanks to Sylvia and Ken for letting us view your trailer. Have fun at the rally!

Anywho, I now have a $350 item to add to my "must have" list of options! Yeah, I liked it quite a bit!! I could not see having a trailer (for me) without it.

I like to stretch out while reading (which I could not do on the regular dinette and I don't use my bed that way). Without the filler board, there was not enough room to do that. My upper thighs were kind of hanging off the side a bit (I'm 5'10", appx 220# and have a 36" inseam). When Sylvia added in the filler board, I just naturally turned a bit to the side and stretched my legs across that wider area (see photo; yes, those are socks with cats on 'em that I'm wearing). I didn't even think about it - I just did it. I had to concentrate more without the filler board - in terms of "don't fall off, don't fall off" - it was not very relaxing to say the least. And there would not have been room for Lucy to snuggle next to me without that filler board. She likes to start off on my lap and then move next to my legs/thighs after I fidget too much for her liking (I fidget a lot).

They added two of the flip-up tables/counters on either side of the dinette. With or without the filler board, it wasn't that difficult to sit there and imagine eating off a plate that's set on it. Heck, many times at home we eat with a plate on our laps. The flip-up is also large enough (according to Dirk, as we didn't test it out) to put my laptop on there if I wanted to watch DVDs while stretched out.

For my crafting, I would be coloring in stamped images and I would just bring along a lap tray. I've done that at home and I know it works just fine.

Their cushions weren't any thicker than usual; I've seen mention of thicker cushions. They were just fine the way they were and if you had thicker ones, you'd lose some of the space for your posterior to rest on. Sylvia had a bunch of throw pillows scattered around and it was nice to flop against them.

So, yeah, I really liked it. Dirk said if it works for me, it works for him. (smart man) I'm really glad I got the chance to test it out, especially after seeing the regular dinette in the other trailers.

We talked about it at lunch afterwards and figure we'll get recessed holders for the table posts (heck if I know the technical term for 'em), which is what Rich has in his 19 footer. That way Lucy's cat box would fit under there, for when I travel with her. As well as her steps to get up since she's crippled and can't jump. That way the post holders aren't in the way and Dirk doesn't have to try to install the screw-in holders later on and hopefully not goof it up. The table would rarely be used, as you could use 1 or 2 filler boards for when it's made into a bed.

Also including a photo of Lucy, snoozing away on her shelf, which is next to my computer/crafting space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02549.jpg (207.7 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02550.jpg (204.4 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02553.jpg (200.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00464.jpg (285.8 KB, 140 views)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote