Plywood Replacement - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Some manufacturers do use cored composites for floors, as well as for wall and ceilings. Most don't, because it is more expensive (in materials and labour) than using plywood.
The foam is cheaper. However, in order to obtain equal strength you would need specific engineering to determine the exact layup requirements for a foam core floor.

Foam coring also creates it's own issues. Foam is actually more susceptible to water intrusion than marine grade plywood. When penetrating foam cored fiberglass you need to drill over sized holes through at least on side and the foam. Fill the void with epoxy and then drill your actual sized hole through the epoxy core to ensure the edges of the foam are sealed.

So, IMO the extra cost of a foam cored floor would not be in the floor itself, but, in the extra labor required every time you need to penetrate it.

I've owned a foam cored Corsair F24 Mk II for many many years. Prior to his death in 2017 the designer Ian Farrier sold plans to self-build his designs. He had online courses in fiberglass foam core construction which I completed.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
When you get the spray foam they add clear plastic tubing to the drain holes that extends down and sticks out of the foam - you should see that clear plastic tubing and that will tell you where the drain holes are.
Thanks, I'll check this afternoon when down where I keep it.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Foam is inside the frame, drain holes are outside the frame.
Thanks all. I'll find the little suckers! Glad to hear they are not fouled by the foam.

When I was first under it after delivery to check brake adj, I remember thinking "Please don't let me have a problem under here with plumbing , wiring, etc.".
Old 05-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just took pictures, there are 4 drain holes, one right behind the rear wheel and one right in front of the front wheel, and pictures of foam...only the foam that is visible is painted black the rest unseen is the natural color.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1543 2.jpeg   IMG_1545.jpeg   IMG_1546.jpg   IMG_1547.jpg   IMG_1548.jpeg  

Old 05-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by koldewaj View Post
Does anyone know if Escape will install Coosa Board instead of plywood for the floor? I'm sure the materials are significantly more but it would be worth it to me to know my trailer can't rot.
In this video Escape explains that the wood floor is elevated in the 'bathtub' and that there is space below it where any water incursion that did occur would go. This keeps the wood floor from 'soaking' in water. The drain holes that people are talking about are explained also.

https://youtu.be/KqgXkDCrMSw?t=678
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Ditto...and nice reply.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 5.0
“ From Coosa’s web-site“

It could save weight...

Strongest Fiberglass Composite Panel
Coosa Composites' premier product is its Bluewater Panel - - a high density, closed-cell polyurethane foam reinforced with woven roving and continuous strand fiberglass that can be utilized for multiple applications, including:

Marine
Industrial / Commercial
Transporation
Architectural
The woven roving fiberglass in addition to continuous strand fiberglass in Bluewater Panels adds additional flexural strength (stiffness) for demanding applications where structural integrity and/or greater span lengths are appropriate. Bluewater Panels are available in densities of 20- and 26-pounds lbs/ft3 (pcf) and sizes: 4 ft. x 8 ft. up to 5 ft. x 12 ft. Thicknesses are available from: 0.25 inches up to 2 inches.

Click Here to view our Test Data Sheet for more physical property information.

bluewater2
Coosa’s Bluewater Panels are manufactured by our skilled employees in a safe and environmentally friendly facility. We use the finest polyurethane and fiberglass available, ensuring our quality products will remain non-absorbent, stable, and tough under normal and non-abusive use. It is the responsibility of the customer to ultimately qualify the product for its intended specific application.

Bluewater 26
Coosa's strongest and stiffest panel
Ultimate high strength-to-weight ratio
Density of 26 pounds per cubic foot
Typically used as a structural component
30% or more lighter than plywood

Bluewater 20
Coosa's economical alternative
Density of 20 pounds per cubic foot
Typically used as a semi-structural component
45% or more lighter than plywood

Coosa Composites' panels do not attract mold or fungus, offer a very low water absorption, 1.5% or less, are very user friendly and can be worked with normal woodworking tools.
Scotty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's nice that Coosa properties are on a higher level than plywood. But then, constructing the shell using carbon fiber composites would be lighter stronger etc. etc.

If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. There's not a lineup of folks asking for anything else than what's supplied now.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote