Prewire for Solar with Roofmount MC4 Connect $200 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #21

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Thanks for the photos tdf-texas! We will have a 21NE so my batteries will be in the front storage box. What if I mounted the Go Power GP-CEP cable entry plate over the front drivers side overhead cabinet, then ran the wires down behind the interior vinyl corner panel to beneath the dinette bench, and then out to the batteries in the storage box? If I come down the refrigerator area I don't know how I'd get the wires forward past the bathroom. Thank You!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
Thanks for the photos tdf-texas! We will have a 21NE so my batteries will be in the front storage box. What if I mounted the Go Power GP-CEP cable entry plate over the front drivers side overhead cabinet, then ran the wires down behind the interior vinyl corner panel to beneath the dinette bench, and then out to the batteries in the storage box? If I come down the refrigerator area I don't know how I'd get the wires forward past the bathroom. Thank You!
That's what I would do if I owned a 21NE. Clean install with easy access to the wiring for maintenance later. The solar wiring should go to a solar controller first - not directly to the batteries. I mounted my solar controller underneath the seating in the dinette - that should work for the 21NE too.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Controller.jpg  
Old 12-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #23

Thanks tdf-texas! I'll forgo the Escape Prewire for Solar which runs down the refrigerator vent and install the Go Power GP-CEP cable entry plate as described above. Thank You!
Old 12-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
What if I mounted the Go Power GP-CEP cable entry plate over the front drivers side overhead cabinet, then ran the wires down behind the interior vinyl corner panel to beneath the dinette bench, and then out to the batteries in the storage box?
Oh! This would be ideal for my 21C too (opposite corner), since the fridge is on the opposite side from the batteries. I've contemplated running the wires down the rear outside, but I really don't want to do that ugly job.

How is that corner panel attached? (I'm weary to just start ripping things out without knowing how to put them back!.)
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Thanks tdf-texas! I'll forgo the Escape Prewire for Solar which runs down the refrigerator vent and install the Go Power GP-CEP cable entry plate as described above. Thank You!
I would call Escape and see if they use the refrigerator vent to route the wiring on a new built 21NE. As I said in an earlier post, I had the solar provisions done on my 2019 Escape 19 and they installed an MC4 connector on the roof and all cables up to the converter area and to the battery. They did NOT use the fridge vent and I would be surprised if they did so on any current builds. It was a huge time saver for me as I just had to install the solar panels, MPPT controller and remote head, and connect it up and did not have to take anything apart to install the MP4 connecter in the roof, or pull the interior apart to run wiring behind cabinets. It was one of the cheapest mods you can have them do.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #26

Escape Solar

Thanks Mark I will clarify with Escape. They have sent me two pictures already and I'm still confused so need to clarify with them. One picture is of a new 19 with two solar panels which seems to show the wire running down the refrigerator vent. The other picture shows a 17 with the solar prep and it has the MC4 Connector installed (with a pretty sloppy caulking job). I don't want to pay $200 if it's run down the refrigerator vent but agree with you it's probably money well spent if it's a properly mounted MC4 connector. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
17' pre-wire for solar (2).jpg   Dual Solar Panel no AC.JPG   Solar MC4 Connector (2).jpg  
Old 12-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks Mark I will clarify with Escape. They have sent me two pictures already and I'm still confused so need to clarify with them. One picture is of a new 19 with two solar panels which seems to show the wire running down the refrigerator vent. The other picture shows a 17 with the solar prep and it has the MC4 Connector installed (with a pretty sloppy caulking job). I don't want to pay $200 if it's run down the refrigerator vent but agree with you it's probably money well spent if it's a properly mounted MC4 connector. Thanks!
I would think if they are doing the solar previsions only they would not go through the vent as it would leave wires unterminated on the roof, where the MC4 connector leaves nothing unterminated on the outside of the trailer. Just my thought.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
On the 19 the solar prep that I ordered came with the MC4 connector on the roof just behind the fridge vent. I didn’t try to follow the cable routing but they ended up under the driver side bench where I installed the charge controller. I felt the $250 was a bit high but I ordered anyway, nice to see someone at Escape came to the same conclusion and lowered this option charge to $200.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
On the 19 the solar prep that I ordered came with the MC4 connector on the roof just behind the fridge vent. I didn’t try to follow the cable routing but they ended up under the driver side bench where I installed the charge controller. I felt the $250 was a bit high but I ordered anyway, nice to see someone at Escape came to the same conclusion and lowered this option charge to $200.
Mine was $250 Canadian in 2019 which is about $195 US.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
One picture is of a new 19 with two solar panels which seems to show the wire running down the refrigerator vent. The other picture shows a 17 with the solar prep and it has the MC4 Connector installed (with a pretty sloppy caulking job).
That 19 probably has the MC4 connector next to the vent, coming down the fridge cabinet but not through the vent.

The caulking (technically sealant) job looks correct. Those extra blobs aren't slop, they are covering the screw holes.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would skip the factory prewire and get the full factory installed solar package
Considering what Escape charges for the complete install and if you place any value on your time , the DIY cost savings just aren’t there
We have the dual factory solar panels and they has met all our needs , in fact one factory solar panel probably would gave been adequate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
With the exception of the solar controller Escape uses.

There's an easy fix for that though - tell them not to mount the solar controller, trash it, and install a good MPPT controller in it's place. The Victron 100/30 SmartSolar is a good choice.

Of course, a battery monitor install is a good idea as well.
I was a little disappointed to find out that with my Escape installed solar panel they didn't use and MC4 connector on the roof and instead ran the wires in through the refrigerator vent on the roof. I'm not a fan of unnecessary holes in the fiberglass shell, but, running through the fridge vent wasn't expected.
TTMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernwig View Post
That 19 probably has the MC4 connector next to the vent, coming down the fridge cabinet but not through the vent.
Nope!!! The solar wiring on my 2020 Escape 19 was run through the refrigerator vent, and NOT through an MC4 connector.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #33

I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that if you call Escape they will tell you they run it through the vent on factory installs, and they use an MC4 connector at the roof penetration to terminate the wires when they are only installing wiring provisions as the can't leave wired dangling out of the vent.
My trailer was completed in December 2019 and the solar wiring provisions has the MC4 connector.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:25 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that if you call Escape they will tell you they run it through the vent on factory installs, and they use an MC4 connector at the roof penetration to terminate the wires when they are only installing wiring provisions as the can't leave wired dangling out of the vent.
My trailer was completed in December 2019 and the solar wiring provisions has the MC4 connector.
That would make sense, they can't run the wire through the vent if it is not going to be attached to anything.
Personally I do not have a problem with the wire running through the vent, it should not affect anything so why not?
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:07 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post

Personally I do not have a problem with the wire running through the vent, it should not affect anything so why not?
Why not? For me it looks jury rigged and not professional.

The entry plate allows for connecting and disconnecting, looks good (real really good not seeing it) and is great for a roughed in solution, so why not? [emoji4]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
That would make sense, they can't run the wire through the vent if it is not going to be attached to anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

The entry plate allows for connecting and disconnecting, looks good (real really good not seeing it) and is great for a roughed in solution, so why not? [emoji4]
Why not? I'm concerned about the insulation on the wires chaffing on the vent and getting rubbed through. It is just bare wires without any wire loom around it. I agree Jim it doesn't look like a very professional installation to me.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Don't get me wrong, I think the entry plate looks good and is functional, I just do not have a problem with the cables also going down through the vent. I have 2 panels, one at the front and one at the back so they are joined by around 12 feet of cables so 2 more feet going down the vent don't bother me. You cant see them unless you are on a ladder.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Why not? I'm concerned about the insulation on the wires chaffing on the vent and getting rubbed through. It is just bare wires without any wire loom around it. I agree Jim it doesn't look like a very professional installation to me.
I checked out the cables as part of my roof inspection and found where they were ty rapped to the panel supports they looked like they might be an area where they could chafe so I cut some water hose I had and sliced it down the middle and put it around the cables to protect them against the panel supports.
When I looked where the cables go down the vent they were not rubbing on anything but it is something I will check when I inspect the roof for sure.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Send a message via MSN to ridinbarney Send a message via Yahoo to ridinbarney
Hi, I have a 2015 Escape19 and as everyone is talking about, I am trying to figure out how to get wire to under the drivers bench seat. I understand about going down the 'fridge vent, but then how do you get past the bathroom and shower? do you go outside at the bottom of the fridge, then back up inside under the bench seat? Am I missing something obvious here? I have not yet pulled the 'fridge.
Thanks, Clem
ridinbarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbarney View Post
Hi, I have a 2015 Escape19 and as everyone is talking about, I am trying to figure out how to get wire to under the drivers bench seat. I understand about going down the 'fridge vent, but then how do you get past the bathroom and shower? do you go outside at the bottom of the fridge, then back up inside under the bench seat? Am I missing something obvious here? I have not yet pulled the 'fridge.
Thanks, Clem
There is space down low between the exterior shell and bath shell. Some existing wiring runs there. Pretty easy to run wires with a metal fish from front DS dinette to under fridge.