A data backup story - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2023, 10:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
A data backup story

I use a Macbook Air when at home and when traveling. It is my main computer and all of my data is on its 2TB SSD storage. When traveling I use two backup drives, one in the trailer and one stored in the truck, which I rotate weekly more or less. I don't store data in the cloud.

I wanted to make a backup today via Apple's Time Machine program. The external backup drive "backup1" would not mount. I checked it with Apple's Disk Doctor program which told me the drive had an "unrecoverable error". Well okay-- stuff happens. I went out to my truck to retrieve the "backup2" drive.

My Toyota Tacoma extended cab has a tool box compartment beneath the jump seats in the extended section. I store the backup drive not being used there. I opened the lid to this compartment and saw "backup2" was sitting in two inches of water. I stared in disbelief: where did the water come from? I had a gallon container of drinking water that I bought some time ago and left on top of this compartment. I've never opened it. That jug has been from sea level to high altitude several times on this trip and it showed: the jug was crumpled and half of the water was missing. It had drained into the compartment with the drive.

I drove into town (I'm currently in NE California) and bought another drive, then started a fresh backup. Soon I will buy a second drive and start the scheme again. And I'll park the unused drive in the truck's console where I know what's going on.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 E19
The best laid plans...... yikes.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Mike, while your Mac has a 2TB drive, you do not indicate just how much data you are backing up. I have a Dell PC with a similar sized drive but the majority of use is the operating system rather than data. And you mention you do not use iCloud. I’m guessing you have your reasons. I back up all of my data on both the iCloud as well as a high capacity thumb drive (64 GB). While I do pay $3/month for additional iCloud storage (my spouse has lots of photos on her iPhone), I like the iCloud as I can access any data either on my Windows PC where it is mostly created or on my iPhone. Any sensitive data files I store on the iCloud are password protected. You really might want to consider cloud storage. Even though it is a “cloud,” it contains no water to damage your data! Sorry, I couldn’t help saying that, though I have empathy for anyone with any sort of a computer problem.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:11 AM   #4

I'm backing up 1.5 TB. Not a lot these days compared to the video guys, but it's still a lot to upload. Some data storage outfits let you send them a hard drive for the initial backup.

I'm going to resist cloud storage for as long as I think I can do it myself without losing everything. I have a third backup drive at home in a safe deposit box. When I'm home I rotate among the three drives using the "3-2-1" rule: three drives, two local, one remote. I keep one near my computer, one in a storage shed, and one at the bank. Yesterday's drive failure is a reminder that all of my drives are getting old, though, and need to be replaced.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Sid’s are getting cheap enough . A much better experience backing up .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
What's a SID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Sid’s are getting cheap enough . A much better experience backing up .
What's a SID?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 11:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
What's a SID?
Typo
SSD
Solid state drive
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Anyone else use a disk-cloning utility in addition to a 'data backup' for their PC's SSD C: drive with OS and programs / applications?

All of my many SSD's are same-size Samsung brand, by using the compatible Samsung Migration 'cloning' utility for making 'backups' of my PC's Windows C: drive with OS and programs, IF something were to go south with the C: drive I can install the most recent 'clone' in the same machine and be immediately up-and-running without having to reinstall / re-validate licenses for the OS and programs. Within a few limitations described in the Samsung Migration FAQs it works.

The only 'downside' I've observed is it takes longer to run a 'clone' (I let it happen overnight) and you can't 'clone' to the cloud.

Yes, I also do 'data only backups' (belt and suspenders ).
Old 07-19-2023, 01:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Family cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm going to resist cloud storage for as long as I think I can do it myself without losing everything. I have a third backup drive at home in a safe deposit box.
I sort-of have a private cloud: I have a RAID-5 NAS (with 4 spinning disks and an SSD cache) at home on the west coast, and my brother in the midwest has an identical unit. These two devices partially sync several times a day, and fully sync each week. We back-up almost every personal device to this system into encrypted disk image files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
When I'm home I rotate among the three drives using the "3-2-1" rule: three drives, two local, one remote. I keep one near my computer, one in a storage shed, and one at the bank. Yesterday's drive failure is a reminder that all of my drives are getting old, though, and need to be replaced.
In addition, I do what you do with physical drives. One of the at-home local drives is always in a fire-resistant safe.

Now I'm building a separate VPN server so that I can back-up to my NAS from the road.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Typo
SSD
Solid state drive

My near-term goal is to replace my current drives with three 4TB SSDs and continue to rotate them. SSDs that large have been hard to find on the road, so I may have to wait until I'm home then order them. In the meantime I'm using one 2TB conventional disk, which I'm storing in my truck between backups. Beats nothing.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
I sort-of have a private cloud: I have a RAID-5 NAS (with 4 spinning disks and an SSD cache) at home on the west coast, and my brother in the midwest has an identical unit. These two devices partially sync several times a day, and fully sync each week. We back-up almost every personal device to this system into encrypted disk image files.

In addition, I do what you do with physical drives. One of the at-home local drives is always in a fire-resistant safe.

Now I'm building a separate VPN server so that I can back-up to my NAS from the road.

I find your geographically dispersed scheme interesting.

There is a computer industry saying "RAID is storage; RAID isn't backup" implying you also need to backup your RAID array, preferably to a different location. The ability to do a RAID rebuild in case of a damaged disk isn't enough assurance, apparently.

I don't have enough data to justify a RAID scheme. If I exceed the 2TB limit in my MacBook Air it will justify purchasing a MacBook Pro with 4 TB of SSD storage. I'm unlikely ever to exceed 4TB of data-- without any interest in storing video I just don't have enough lifespan left to accumulate another two terabytes of data.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Even though it is a “cloud,” it contains no water to damage your data! (C&G)
Good one! That's pretty sassy for so early in the morning.

I just don't have enough lifespan left to accumulate another two terabytes of data. (Mike)
Mike, I guess your comment must be both comforting and disconcerting.

Thanks, all, for the amusing morning diversion. I'll leave you with Joni Mitchell:

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all.