Kids these days - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Wobbling back toward the subject matter of the thread, but not too close, I have a question about cellphone size. I have a small, cheap Android smartphone that works with the TracFone service. I find that the phone with its four-inch screen is easy to hold in one hand and be able to manipulate with my thumb. I don't send texts that way, but everything else is convenient.

But the girls in the elevator, and almost everyone else I see, use phones substantially larger. When I tried a larger phone I found it to be unwieldy; you had to use two hands to interact with it. So what is the attraction of a larger smartphone? A more easily visible screen? Four-inch smartphones are getting hard to find because they are so unpopular, and I don't get it.
For text messaging, reasonably small works well (and is easy to carry); however, some people do almost everything on this device, and for some purposes (such as online shopping, watching videos, and sharing photos) the extra size and resolution are valuable.

When I needed a phone a couple of years ago I bought the least expensive Android device offered by my preferred mobile carrier (which turned out to be a Moto G3)... and while it is smaller than many popular phones, it is still larger than most smartphones from a few years ago, including my wife's iPhone 5S.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #62

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
This is how my wife and I roll. The "alltel" logo on the bottom tells you all you need to know regarding our lack of coolness. They've got to be at least 10 years old, and I still only know about 10% of what all it can do. I tried taking some pictures once, but now I don't know how to do anything with them. We still carry the original AllTel plan grandfathered through Verizon - $100/year prepay (yup, that's $8.33/month for minutes, not megabytes), and we don't even use that up. They are mostly just a comfort in case we have trouble on the road or can't find each other in Lowe's.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09491.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Well, I mostly read ebooks on mine. And also on my tablet, and occasionally on my laptop. I must have well over 100 ebooks, most of which I haven't read yet. The smartphone enables a new bad habit: reading in bed with the light out. Since I'm nearsighted I can put the phone screen a few inches away from my face and read. Yeah, I know, probably not good for me, but at least I have a blue light filter app on the phone.

I also store owners manuals in PDF on the smartphone so that, for instance, when my digital camera pulls a fast one on me I can look up a workaround.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #64

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Yes Mike that is a bad habit of which I am also guilty but can partly solve it two ways. One is reading from iBook app on the older iPhone 5 which a turn to white font on black screen or the newer iPhone 5s which you can set to have a yellowish backlight at night which is supposedly better for you. I still prefer though an actual non back lit Kindle or even a regular book for late night reading.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:29 AM   #65

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
At the risk of sounding like an old "Fuddy-Duddy " at 50, I think cell phones are absolutely an addiction. I teach at a college and most of those kids would rather chew off their arm than not have constant access to their phones. One in particular comes to mind (who is no longer there) - I'll just say that I taught anatomy labs and she still had to have her phone on the floor because "she had to be able to see it". The other issues were that the constant texting by some was distracting to other students, never mind the ones that were texting. And it reinforces the whole idea of "instant gratification" and constant stimulation. It wrecks their sleep cycles. And if there is any "cyber bullying" or anything else negative, they never get away from it. ( I was picked on in school, but at least once I got off the bus, I was free of it.). And many of them find it very difficult to actually "talk" to clients, co-workers, etc. I've told my neice that I will have no cell phones st the Christmas dinner table, but she can't be without it. She will not go camping with the family if there isn't excellent internet access. Ok, I'll stop now.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #66

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
I am a firm believer in government contracting; for some jobs we would never get the level of expertise we need if we had to rely on offering government salaries.

Given that, I want to warn folks that the Park Service has made a bad deal / deals when it has contracted out National Park campgrounds to concessionaires. For instance, the concessionaire at Crater Lake National Park charges $33 per night for a site with no hookups. That's ridiculous! The same thing is true at Mesa Verde NP. So-- when you make reservations to stay at the national parks, keep an eye out to see if the campground is run by the Park Service or by a concessionaire. If it is the latter, it might be a ripoff.
It would be interesting to review the regulations governing the leases private companies must adhere to to operate these national park campgrounds. I would expect that rate setting guidelines are included(?). If so, proposed increases would be subject to public hearings where the rationale for any increase would have to be made. While I agree that $33 for no hookups is not a good deal, if folks are paying it, it is by definition a "fair market price." This issue is really making me think about how highly subsidized many public services are by general tax revenues. "The times they are a changing' ..."
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
While I agree that $33 for no hookups is not a good deal, if folks are paying it, it is by definition a "fair market price."
It is monopoly pricing-- if one wants to camp in the park, one has to pay that price. A fair market would have price competition from other campgrounds within the park.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #68
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
It is monopoly pricing-- if one wants to camp in the park, one has to pay that price. A fair market would have price competition from other campgrounds within the park.
It's what the market will bear. If they charge more than that, it will probably get corrected once people have voted with their feet.

And, it's just the nature of the beast that some campgrounds are more scenic and desirable than others, so a level playing field and equal competition doesn't really apply.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And, it's just the nature of the beast that some campgrounds are more scenic and desirable than others, so a level playing field and equal competition doesn't really apply.
Fortunately, many parks have fancier campgrounds run by a contractor and primitive campgrounds run by the Park Service (e.g. Olympic National Park, Big Bend NP). This at least provides some competition if you're willing to accept fewer amenities.

The concession-run parks are still overprice imho. The Park Service needs to do a better job with these contracts.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #70
Site Team

Quote:
Fortunately, many parks have fancier campgrounds run by a contractor and primitive campgrounds run by the Park Service (e.g. Olympic National Park, Big Bend NP). This at least provides some competition if you're willing to accept fewer amenities.

The concession-run parks are still overprice imho. The Park Service needs to do a better job with these contracts.
I agree they are often higher in price. It points out the fallacy, imho, that privatization is always better. Sometimes, a park run by the people who actually own it - (the people, via their government) is just a better idea. The government doesn't theoretically have to make a profit to run a park, just meet operational expenses. A private concessionaire on the other hand is a business, and profit (and sometimes higher prices) is the name of the game.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #71

Quote:
I will concede that there is only one National Park System and therefore no price competition within the parks themselves, but the "market" is bigger and offers you choices ranging from free Walmart parking lots to pricy full-service RV campgrounds. I share your frustration with their pricing, but they're a business that is under increasing pressure to be self-sustainable.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:32 PM   #72

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
I teach at a college and most of those kids would rather chew off their arm than not have constant access to their phones. One in particular comes to mind (who is no longer there) - I'll just say that I taught anatomy labs and she still had to have her phone on the floor because "she had to be able to see it". The other issues were that the constant texting by some was distracting to other students, never mind the ones that were texting.
As a staff member I have had the privilege to audit several classes at Princeton. One class the 4 professors (co-taught) banned phones and laptops and made them keep a journal of notes and thoughts that was turned in weekly and part of their grade. The students were engaged and it was very enjoyable. Reminded me when I was in college before the explosion of phones and laptops. I've been in other classes where laptops are open and the students type a note or two and then click over to some social media or surf the internet.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I think our generation can walk away from technology and enjoy solitude when we want because we grew up in that world and have adapted to technology as needed. I'm not sure that the current generation of youth who are growing up with this technology can or ever will.
I've been pondering this notionfor a while now and I think you're on to something. I'm almost 65 yet I'm very often on one of my two iPads or Smartphone collecting information of one sort or another. I very rarely contribute Facebook and this Forum is my only other social media subscription. I see the web as a tool to serve my needs but consider it a one-way transaction. Social media and internet-related research are two different things now. I hope kids are taking advantage of the research capaabilities of the net - oh How I wish I had access to the internet when I was in school!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I hope kids are taking advantage of the research capaabilities of the net - oh How I wish I had access to the internet when I was in school!
No KIDDING. When I was working on my senior project for my BS, I was still opening file cabinets and grabbing green-bar paper. And eight years ago, I spent HOURS at Portland State University in the library, when I was working on my Masters... and even MORE hours in the "stacks."

Is Google still indexing every book ever written?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #75

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My older daughter is 41. She's a blend of old school education and being in the world of academia at the University of Iowa is up to date on most communication technology, interestingly she gives me field notes booklets as she knows that I prefer to keep information in order that way ( with a pencil). The people who fear a technological apocalypse I really can't relate to. I've spent my life learning to be self sufficient and always considerate of a survival lifestyle. If she all goes in the dumper one of these days, this old man and his family will get by.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #76
Site Team

Well yes Dave, but that's because you're the 'competent man'. America used to be filled with them, but today, not so much.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is from a novel by Robert Heinlein, in which the protagonist of the story says the following:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Old 07-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #77

Kids these days

Thanks Robert,
We're in Fort Wayne this weekend on our way to Ontario Bolerama. My youngest daughter is a true millennial. She and her husband are graduates of THE. They love to camp in their vintage boler. Old guys are guiding the restoration and my wife has done the seamstress work. They are learnin they get dirty, they succeed.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2939.jpg   IMG_2943.jpg   IMG_2938.jpg   IMG_2940.jpg  
Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #78

Technology Hmmmm

Hey Robert,
I'd be remiss if I left out my son. He's a project manager for Rockwell Avionics in Cedar Rapids. He is a computer guy who is currently designing the control displays for the Predator drone. He's an Eagle Scout, weightlifter, tent camper, gardening, cooking, pinball playing machine. I'll have all three of my kids and their spouses at the Mississippi River Rally in late September. If you want to meet three valedictorians and their great spouses I'll be proud to introduce you. Not all of today's young people are head down anti social people.
Dave
Old 07-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #79

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
.... "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
And if you rise with the sun and get all that done before noon (well, all except the die gallantly part), you'll have the rest of the day to do other important humanly things like read the paper, mow the lawn and play with the grand kids.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #80
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If you want to meet three valedictorians and their great spouses I'll be proud to introduce you. Not all of today's young people are head down anti social people.
Dave
True, you can still find great people. Usually, you'll find great parents behind it.

By the way, the Boler looks super. Clean, functional, sleek.