2023 Pricing - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2022, 07:01 AM   #181

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's a sore spot for sure and would give me pause. Setting the USD price regardless of the exchange rate means one price for Americans and another for Canadians. Nonsensical at best and greedy at worst.
If I want somwething and can see the value, I'll have it. I don't care what someone else pays for it.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:04 AM   #182

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Just priced out a build sheet using essentially the same options as are on our trailer. Result: It would cost us today just slightly shy of double what we paid 5 years ago.
I just calculated my 5.0TA based on what I paid January 2017 and the increase is just over 30%. That is near 6 years ago. I did not opt for many options, choosing to do the work myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
I was talking to a local home builder last week and I asked him how he prices out homes with the cost of material going up so much and he said he agrees on an initial price with the customer and now he has a monthly meeting/call with the client and if the cost goes up a certain amount then that increase is passed up to the customer.
That never used to be a thing but with homes taking a year or more to build he has to now.
If I recall the cost of lumber went up %40 last year.
I always charged on a cost plus basis as often many decisions were made on the fly. Even with new homes I only would work on a cost plus basis, though the markup was a bit smaller.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:32 PM   #183
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I just calculated my 5.0TA based on what I paid January 2017 and the increase is just over 30%.
My percentage increase would be much higher than yours Jim at 54%, but it's even worse with the fixed USD pricing. Factoring in the 5K+ premium a US buyer has to pay for a new 19, the increase for me would be over 72% compared to 2015. I've never hurt for money and I do make a very comfortable living, but at those prices, I'd be out of the market.
Old 10-21-2022, 07:11 AM   #184

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I just calculated my 5.0TA based on what I paid January 2017 and the increase is just over 30%. That is near 6 years ago. I did not opt for many options, choosing to do the work myself.

When we put our deposit down in March 2021 the base price of the 5.0 was $29,995 USD. The current base price is $44,510 USD. That's a 48% increase over the past approx 18 mos.
Chamberman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:41 AM   #185
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
FWIW, I have a Casita brochure from 2016. Base price of their Spirit Deluxe model was $20,978. Current base SD base price is $32,694. That's a 56% increase. Yes, that's over six years, but in 2020 the base price was $22,694, or a modest 9.7% increase over four years. The remaining 46% increase over 2016 has taken place over just the last two years.

We all know why (or some of us, anyway), but I'll leave it here, as politics is not allowed on this board.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:22 AM   #186

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
FWIW, I have a Casita brochure from 2016. Base price of their Spirit Deluxe model was $20,978. Current base SD base price is $32,694. That's a 56% increase. Yes, that's over six years, but in 2020 the base price was $22,694, or a modest 9.7% increase over four years. The remaining 46% increase over 2016 has taken place over just the last two years.

We all know why (or some of us, anyway), but I'll leave it here, as politics is not allowed on this board.
No politics for sure! I've been admonished by the administrators several times for my wayward discussions. You know why prices have gone up. But an ignoramus like myself is in the dark. Could you shed just a teeny bit of light?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:30 AM   #187

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
No politics for sure! I've been admonished by the administrators several times for my wayward discussions. You know why prices have gone up. But an ignoramus like myself is in the dark. Could you shed just a teeny bit of light?
Comeonman, offhand I can’t think of something that hasn’t skyrocketed in price, or will be after the first of the year.

Hopefully people won’t go into big credit card debt over Christmas this year. It would be a great time for families to start some different traditions, other than spending.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:57 PM   #188

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Comeonman, offhand I can’t think of something that hasn’t skyrocketed in price, or will be after the first of the year.

Hopefully people won’t go into big credit card debt over Christmas this year. It would be a great time for families to start some different traditions, other than spending.
We gave up "Hallmark" gifting a couple decades ago. Most of the gifts we didn't need or want and it left more money for needed items during the year. Now we feel lucky if we can just get together for the hollidays.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #189

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
It doesn't help, in my opinion, when ETI is currently getting about a $4,000 premium from US customers versus Canadians on the current exchange rate for a moderately equipped 17B.
You could look at it that Escape a Canadian Company is giving Canadian residents a $4,000 discount.

Disney World gives Florida residents a substantial discount.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #190

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
We gave up "Hallmark" gifting a couple decades ago. Most of the gifts we didn't need or want and it left more money for needed items during the year. Now we feel lucky if we can just get together for the hollidays.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry we suggested that for this year, just buying a simple gift $5-10 but some of the family want to continue the tradition.

As far as previous post about Disney giving FL residents a discount, we Canadians lucked out in 1993 when we went to Disneyworld with our family. They had an offer just for Canadians, $85 for unlimited entry to the parks for THREE months!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:29 PM   #191

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I happened into a local (one of a few remaining) meat lockers yesterday. staffed mostly by geezers and geezerettes like me and one young guy (the lugger). We all had grown up in the same town on mostly the same quadrant. The talk soon turned to the Mom and pop stores we used to frequent. That was a fun discussion. There were no politics, just memories, I did not ask the cost of my order and knew in my heart their pricing would be fair. You don’t usually stay in business over 50 or 60 years gouging customers. I have a few glass Skippy peanut butter jars. They still have the ink price stamped on a circle on the lid. Some are 20 cents some are 22 cents. I imagine my mom and dad noticed the 10 percent increase but we still had good peanut butter on the table, Art Baker on the black and white TV showing how Skippy was made on “You asked for it” and Dinah Shore singing “See the USA in your Chevrolet, America’s the greatest land of all. Politics does not have to enter into every discussion. In a blink of a decade or two we won’t have to worry about it. I remember when……
Iowa Dave
Old 10-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Perry we suggested that for this year, just buying a simple gift $5-10 but some of the family want to continue the tradition.
Our families do a $30 gift exchange.
  • Each player brings one wrapped gift to contribute to a common pool
  • Players draw numbers to determine what order they will go in
  • The first player selects a gift from the pool and opens it
  • The following players can choose to either pick an unwrapped gift from the pool or steal a previous player’s gift. Anyone who gets their gift stolen in this way can do the same – choose a new gift or steal from someone else.
  • To keep things moving along, there are a couple of limits on gift swapping. A present can only be stolen once per turn, which means players who have a gift stolen from them have to wait to get it back.
  • After three steals a gift can no longer be stolen.
  • After all players have had a turn, the first player gets a chance to swap the gift he or she is holding for any other opened gift. Anyone whose gift is stolen may steal from someone else as long as that gift hasn't reached the 3 steal limit. When someone declines to steal a gift, the game comes to an end.

This provides good fun family interaction. Some people do this with 'White Elephant' gifts. Ours are generally things people actually want. In fact a good strategy is to buy a gift you want. Then open it when it's your turn. If someone else wants it you're happy they like your gift. If not you have something you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
As far as previous post about Disney giving FL residents a discount, we Canadians lucked out in 1993 when we went to Disneyworld with our family. They had an offer just for Canadians, $85 for unlimited entry to the parks for THREE months!
Floridians do love Canadians and the money you bring each winter.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #193

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I have four kids, and my wife and I buy them nice gifts for Christmas because they are our kids.

We also have ten nieces and nephews who happen to pretty much perfectly overlap with our kids in age.

So years ago, we (the parent age group) all gave up on trying to buy gifts for each other's kids. Instead, as the kids had all become teens we let them form their own large white elephant exchange. In this fourteen person gift exchange, the cost is low, creativity and expression are largely valued. And the kids all have a ton of fun with it.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:00 PM   #194

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
It doesn't help, in my opinion, when ETI is currently getting about a $4,000 premium from US customers versus Canadians on the current exchange rate for a moderately equipped 17B. If that weren't the case, my order would still be in because I wouldn't have felt priced out of the market at 10% lower cost.
https://www.fidelity.com/learning-ce.../strong-dollar
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #195

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
"The dollar is strong because the US economy is healthier than those of many other countries and because the Federal Reserve keeps raising interest rates."

The dollar is strong because capital is fleeing countries where the situation is more shaky. Europe is on the verge of financial meltdown (their government bond market has been destroyed). China keeps buying farm land and other assets. The US Dollar will be the "last man standing," but when the house of cards topples it will eventually take the Dollar with it. No country will be immune, ultimately, from the coming worldwide economic collapse. Sorry to see it coming, but there's no stopping this one.

But anyway, that has nothing to do with the fact that ETI purposely built in a pile of extra profit on the exchange rate. Maybe "just in case" it happens to turn the other direction for a while. Or maybe just because they can.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:17 AM   #196

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Yeah, but always worth remembering that the world economy has been on the verge of collapse pretty much my entire life. It seems to get a bit closer to it (per the pundits) with every recession or what have you, and then it retreats again. Maybe one of these times, it will actually happen. Or not. I'm not going to put my entire portfolio into MREs and AR-15s in any case.

I remember this one guy, called himself "The Contrarian" and wrote about financial matters. In the early 2000's he often boasted about "having called it right" regarding the market collapse of 2000-2001. Sure. He did. But he was calling for it and telling everyone to dump stocks in 1996. Following his advice would have resulted in a lower yield than holding on through the collapse, because you would have missed three of the best market years ever.

Jim Cramer was "Buy! Buy! Buy!" in August 2008. The guy is still out there giving advice. How wrong do you have to be to not be able to give advice anymore?

None of these financial writers know what's going to happen, and most of them are wrong one way or another. As my all time favorite ad used to say "The price of gold has never been higher. Now is the time to buy!" Excellent advice from people who are selling!
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:43 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Jim Cramer was "Buy! Buy! Buy!" in August 2008. The guy is still out there giving advice.
I don't follow the market that closely or actively trade anymore, when I did, I considered Jim Cramer as a contrarian indicator. If he said buy you should sell, if he said sell you should buy. Or better yet just ignore him entirely.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #198

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
My percentage increase would be much higher than yours Jim at 54%, but it's even worse with the fixed USD pricing. Factoring in the 5K+ premium a US buyer has to pay for a new 19, the increase for me would be over 72% compared to 2015. I've never hurt for money and I do make a very comfortable living, but at those prices, I'd be out of the market.
Good point. Given in CAD I just deal with the cost of increases in production mostly.

It does make it a lot tougher in cost for us to buy products from the US when the exchange rate moves against us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #199

Trailer: Escape
https://bruderx.com/exp-8/

Anyone looking for an alternative to Escape might be interested in this beauty.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #200
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
https://bruderx.com/exp-8/

Anyone looking for an alternative to Escape might be interested in this beauty.
Nice. But my E21C layout is better. And I could buy four of them for the price of one Bruder 8.

But why not go all out and get self-propelled?

https://earthcruiser.com/vehicles/earthcruiser/