Another Dinette Table Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Murrieta, California
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Posts: 112
Another Dinette Table Question

Does anyone with a U-Shaped Dinette and standard ETI pedestals have the table slide go front to back rather than side to side. I asked ETI about it and it sounded like they were willing to do it but did not encourage it. In my mind (which can be somewhat demented) it seems like if the table was slid towards the back it would allow easy entry to the dinette from either side. With the side to side slide, it seems that if someone was sitting on one side and someone wanted to get in on the other side you would have to kinda of push the table into the seated person to get in. Does this make any sense at all or am I even more demented than I realize? This issue may just be a temporary one as there is a real chance I may eventually put in a Lagun table mount.
__________________

__________________
Matt & Mary (and Scrappy the Wonder Dog)
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Does anyone with a U-Shaped Dinette and standard ETI pedestals have the table slide go front to back rather than side to side. I asked ETI about it and it sounded like they were willing to do it but did not encourage it. In my mind (which can be somewhat demented) it seems like if the table was slid towards the back it would allow easy entry to the dinette from either side. With the side to side slide, it seems that if someone was sitting on one side and someone wanted to get in on the other side you would have to kinda of push the table into the seated person to get in. Does this make any sense at all or am I even more demented than I realize? This issue may just be a temporary one as there is a real chance I may eventually put in a Lagun table mount.
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Once you have your trailer, if you want to change the slider direction, it's a screwdriver and about 5 minutes to change it.

One thing though. If you think a Lagun is the way to go, I wouldn't have Escape install the pedestals at all. Just have them provide the table top unmounted. That way, there are no holes in the floor to fill, like when you remove the sockets to install the Lagun.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Eggscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 2,167
Hole photos

Here are the pictures under the 19 in the Escape showroom I took this fall. I did not notice the silicone over the holes at the time. It was only after reading about them that I notice them in the photos. Donít know if this is still happening but since I am going to make my own raised floor I asked Escape not to install the two base mounts. Pictures of the front and rear holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9F0CDD53-B578-432E-99A2-A6E21E56BDD0.jpg (112.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg A1D3AD44-FC36-43B8-8DAD-0F4B0F40A0BF.jpg (112.6 KB, 30 views)
__________________
So many modifications...so little time.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,874
There's another good reason for the raised dinette in the 19, besides the better visibility out the windows it provides. I've got 4 inches of space under the screws that secure my Springfield pedestal.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: West Coast, Florida
Trailer: None now
Posts: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Here are the pictures under the 19 in the Escape showroom I took this fall. I did not notice the silicone over the holes at the time. It was only after reading about them that I notice them in the photos. Donít know if this is still happening but since I am going to make my own raised floor I asked Escape not to install the two base mounts. Pictures of the front and rear holes.
So they patch them now. Mine had small holes where the screws pushed through. I noticed it when I was under it. After I removed the original columns and installed the Springfield I patched them.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 334
Are they still doing the one big table solution or have they gone back to the table plus filler strip?

If you have a 12" or wider filler strip and corner cuts, then you should be able to get in and out without a slider. Better to keep things simple IMHO.

If you have a single big table, you wouldn't have enough room to get in/out if the table didn't have a slider, and if it slides front/back you'd only be able to slide it maybe 2" backwards, which won't give you enough room to get in/out.. unless you are very very thin. There would be more than 2" since the corners are cut and the single big table was cut a bit shorter than the full length of the seats.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,874
Paul, the OP specifically mentioned the U-shaped dinette. The table in the U-shape is smaller, and provides clearance to sit along the back. A front to back slide might work fine with it.

My point was that it's easily changed, no matter which way it slides.

As for a filler strip, I'm not sure what you mean by "table plus filler strip". There's the full length table with the stock dinette, and the smaller table with the U-shaped dinette. The table and filler strip wouldn't be used together. You can add a filler strip (usually about half the depth of the smaller table) and a corresponding smaller cushion to create a 'lounge' with the table removed, but that's another option, and doesn't address table clearance.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:49 AM   #8
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,778
My 21 had the "U" dinette and front to rear slide option on the stock pedestals, worked fine. It allowed access to the rear as well as sides. We installed to flip up tables in the area and sometimes left the table in the truck see here for info
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,118
I have my table tops, I now have 3, all go front to back same as the original, I prefer it that way. I did add a slide bolt to lock it in place while traveling just as a precaution.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,118
I have my table tops, I now have 3, going front to back, I had ETI setup the original that way. I did add a slide bolt to lock it in place while traveling just as a precaution. It might be an issue with access to the back bench if you plan on having someone sit there. We've only had grand kids back there and they're small.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Paul, the OP specifically mentioned the U-shaped dinette. The table in the U-shape is smaller, and provides clearance to sit along the back. A front to back slide might work fine with it.

My point was that it's easily changed, no matter which way it slides.

As for a filler strip, I'm not sure what you mean by "table plus filler strip". There's the full length table with the stock dinette, and the smaller table with the U-shaped dinette.
Ah, yes, for the U shaped dinette it would be fine from an access perspective. I missed that detail. Not sure why ETI wouldn't recommend it then.

On some previous trailers there was no table slide. Instead there was a 10" or 12" strip at the front to allow access which you stored somewhere in table mode.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
On some previous trailers there was no table slide. Instead there was a 10" or 12" strip at the front to allow access which you stored somewhere in table mode.
I see what you meant now. In lieu of a longer table with sliders, a cut down table that didn't require a slider to get in and out of the dinette? I've seen some cut down tables on many Escapes.

Personally, we prefer as large a table as we can use and still get in and out of the dinette comfortably. The Lagun mount would make that easy, even with the largest table.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×