Escape 5.0 Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2023, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: HiCamp Tear Drop
Escape 5.0 Questions

I had ruled out the 5.0 before even considering it. Now I can’t get it out of my mind. My tow vehicle is the ‘23 Tundra with a 5.5 truck bed.

Here are todays questions:

1, 5.5 bed issues, any real restrictions on turning radius, interference?

2, recommendations on the right hitch?

3, thoughts on the DC fridge?

4, recommended options? I know this is hard, but curious if there are ones you wish you hadn’t spent the money on, or absolutely think are wonderful.

5, is mileage impact similar to a19 or 21

Thanks
MoreQuestionsThanAnswers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Regarding #4, there’s a lot of threads on exactly that subject.

Nowadays the improved battery options would certainly be tempting. We get by on our dual 6 volt batteries and single solar panel just fine, but I do watch them like a hawk when we spend a week off grid at Kalaloch in the cloudy weather. In fairness we aren’t big on boondocking so the newer solar and battery options would be more like icing on the cake for us than someone who does a lot of off grid camping. I do manage fine without a generator.

Likewise 12 volt refrigerators are becoming a thing. Our propane absorption unit has actually been a great performer including weeks at a time at high altitudes and even a week up at Rocky Mountain National Park. The absorption fridge in our Casita was quite problematic and it took me some time to effect modifications that improved its performance. The modifications were primarily necessitated by Casita’s poor installations. The Escape refrigerator installations are much better than Casita’s were, but there still seem to be a few people who say they have trouble with their absorption fridges.

Also, just so you know, everyone who doesn’t like a gas oven or a microwave is wrong.

I’ll leave the rest to the 5.0 people as I’m just one of the lowly bumper-pull crowd.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreQuestionsThanAnswers View Post
I had ruled out the 5.0 before even considering it. Now I can’t get it out of my mind. My tow vehicle is the ‘23 Tundra with a 5.5 truck bed.

Here are todays questions:

1, 5.5 bed issues, any real restrictions on turning radius, interference?

2, recommendations on the right hitch?

3, thoughts on the DC fridge?

4, recommended options? I know this is hard, but curious if there are ones you wish you hadn’t spent the money on, or absolutely think are wonderful.

5, is mileage impact similar to a19 or 21

Thanks
Hi: MQTA... After nearly 10 yrs. towing the 5.0TA I can tell you this.
1/ 5' 7" bed w/ ecodiesel Ram= no interference.
2/Right hitch is subjective. I have a Husky Roller hitch that's now been in 3 trucks. Never need to roll it!!!
3/DC fridge... never considered it. Just understand the constraints of the absorption fridge.
4/Outside shower? Never had the nerve to use it. No dogs or kids to spray off either.
5/ Best mpg's w/ 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 6' bed 16 imp Canadian. 2016 V6 Ram ecoD. 5' 7" bed 26 imp Canadian.
MHO the 5.0TA is the easiest towing trailer you can buy. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg   P1050432.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Lots of people use the Andersen hitch ...me included due to ease of use and ability to take out of truck quickly. Not the only option for hitches, but certainly well represented among 5.0 owners
Old 12-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Talking Oh boy, can I relate!

Quote:
I had ruled out the 5.0 before even considering it. Now I can’t get it out of my mind. .....
Oh boy, can I relate ....

I was content with my plan to upsize from my Casita 17 to an E19, maybe an E21, then I made the 'mistake' () of touring nearby forum member David Murphy's 2018 5.0TA.

Acknowledging I went into this having decades of bumper-pull experience and a few years enjoying the benefits of towing 'gooseneck' trailers (very similar to a 5th wheel in terms of towing).

Absolutely no 'up-market pitch' from carefully objective David, just an opportunity to see the trailer and hear the un-varnished pros and cons of his 5.0 towing experience.

The die was cast before I even left his trailer storage yard, all plans changed, I can assure you that 'mistake' was the best thing that's happened in my RVing life. Not only did I find the trailer of my dreams, but also started a priceless friendship with a great guy in David (it's impossible for me to separate the two positively life-altering events).

I Love my shorter-than-an-E19-rig.

I encourage you to examine a 5.0 in person to avoid potential future regret (hey, it's possible you may not like it ).

Insofar as your list of specific questions, there's plenty of info to be found on the forum (none of those are 'issues', IMO). I'll also offer the general opinion that a 5.0 would pair nicely with your Tundra and yield a wonderful long-term RVing experience.

At risk of offending bumper-pull owners, IMO when it comes to road manners in all conditions, rig maneuverability, and ease of hitching / un-hitching / campsite arrival setup / campsite departure teardown ... the 5.0 experience just can't be beat (I do NOT miss messing with a Weight Distributing Hitch!).

FYI David uses a true 5th-wheel Demco Recon rail-mount hitch, I use an Andersen gooseneck-mount hitch; we're both very happy with our choices.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: MQTA... After nearly 10 yrs. towing the 5.0TA I can tell you this.
1/ 5' 7" bed w/ ecodiesel Ram= no interference.
2/Right hitch is subjective. I have a Husky Roller hitch that's now been in 3 trucks. Never need to roll it!!!
3/DC fridge... never considered it. Just understand the constraints of the absorption fridge.
4/Outside shower? Never had the nerve to use it. No dogs or kids to spray off either.
5/ Best mpg's w/ 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 6' bed 16 imp Canadian. 2016 V6 Ram ecoD. 5' 7" bed 26 imp Canadian.
MHO the 5.0TA is the easiest towing trailer you can buy. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Great information, I may need to get my wife in one …I think that will decide it. Love the pictures, we stay two weeks each year in a RV park in Palm Springs, the size difference of every rig to our teardrop is comical.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Oh boy, can I relate ....

I was content with my plan to upsize from my Casita 17 to an E19, maybe an E21, then I made the 'mistake' () of touring nearby forum member David Murphy's 2018 5.0TA.

Acknowledging I went into this having decades of bumper-pull experience and a few years enjoying the benefits of towing 'gooseneck' trailers (very similar to a 5th wheel in terms of towing).

Absolutely no 'up-market pitch' from carefully objective David, just an opportunity to see the trailer and hear the un-varnished pros and cons of his 5.0 towing experience.

The die was cast before I even left his trailer storage yard, all plans changed, I can assure you that 'mistake' was the best thing that's happened in my RVing life. Not only did I find the trailer of my dreams, but also started a priceless friendship with a great guy in David (it's impossible for me to separate the two positively life-altering events).

I Love my shorter-than-an-E19-rig.

I encourage you to examine a 5.0 in person to avoid potential future regret (hey, it's possible you may not like it ).

Insofar as your list of specific questions, there's plenty of info to be found on the forum (none of those are 'issues', IMO). I'll also offer the general opinion that a 5.0 would pair nicely with your Tundra and yield a wonderful long-term RVing experience.

At risk of offending bumper-pull owners, IMO when it comes to road manners in all conditions, rig maneuverability, and ease of hitching / un-hitching / campsite arrival setup / campsite departure teardown ... the 5.0 experience just can't be beat (I do NOT miss messing with a Weight Distributing Hitch!).
I’m so glad I joined the forum. I would have been ecstatic with a 19, but I think the 5.0 is the one. Escape employees, if you’re reading this, you are not allowed to use this information against me when negotiating.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
.... Escape employees, if you’re reading this, you are not allowed to use this information against me when negotiating.
More

I'd been working with friendly ETI salesperson Linda Fedoruk prior to looking at David's trailer. When I told her of my encounter with David (she had enjoyed working with him on his 2018 purchase) and my radical change of plans, she just chuckled and didn't miss a beat, we moved forward to conclude a wonderful configuration and buying experience. Linda had the patience of Job dealing with (and mostly fulfilling) my many oddball customization requests.

Have Fun!
Old 12-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

It happens. We went out to ETI to finalize our E17 purchase and made the ~mistake~ of popping into an E19 next to the E17. Left after placing our deposit on the E19.

Definitely no substitute for actually spending some real time inside. Floorplans can only convey part of the big picture.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 04:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We purchased a 2024 Tundra last month. Double cab with the six and half foot bed. Currently the only hitch option for the third generation Tundra’s are the B&W turnover ball with the Andersen Ultimate hitch.

We have a pretty basic SR 5 with a payload of 1620 lbs. I was concerned about the Tundra’s composite bed but was told by Andersen we may have to get the rubber pad that fits under the hitch if we get any twisting.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:44 PM   #11

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Month old 5.0 owner here (but planned it for 6 years!).

Why did we go for a 5.0…..?

Easiest to tow. This is all I’ve ever towed so can’t compare but by all accounts 5th wheels in general are easier and safer to tow than pull behinds. Very little chance of trailer sway. Also easier to back up. The 5.0 is only about 17ft length behind the truck.

Internal height. I’m 6’1. The 5.0 has the tallest interior including the wetbath, and I can sit up in bed.

We liked the full queen bed (without the corner cut off). And also that in the 5.0 you basically have 2 rooms, the general area, and the raised bed area. You can put up a curtain divider if you wanted to physically separate them.

I specifically brought a truck with a 6.5ft bed so didn’t have to deal with any turning issues. I can go a full 90 deg if needed. But you should be fine with 5.5ft. Just remember that so you don’t punch out your rear window accidentally!

We have the Anderson Ultimate hitch on rails. Lightweight and removable. I did buy some rubber shims to eliminate a tiny movement between the hitch and rails. I had an issue known as ‘chucking’ when towing, which seemed to be mainly down to incorrect tire pressures.

Options…how long is a piece of string….depends on your budget.

Our options of note?

All the USB/12V socket options. There are 5 additional in the 5.0 including one outside (useful for tire inflators/etc).

The EMS. You need something to monitor shore power and protect the trailer electrical systems. You can buy external systems (that can be stolen). I preferred to have an integrated system.

All external lights with the single on/off switch.

We went with just the dual 6v plus solar panel for boondocking. Full lithium and invertor would add about $7K CAD. If you can manage without any 110v devices off grid you don’t really need the full inverter setup.

We went for the dinette with extended padded cushions. Figured we wanted to be as comfortable as possible. You do still need some separate lumbar support as the cushions are fairly upright.

Flip out countertop extensions are very useful. We have them by the sink, and one in the dinette.

We didn’t go for the supplied AC unit. I’m going to buy the much quieter Houghton 9500 and install that myself. Escape still put the required 12guage wiring in even if you don’t order the AC.

Think if you want any custom 12V drops? Escape will put them just about anywhere. I had one put in in the dinette cabinet. I used it to power a 12V led lighting strip in all the overhead cabinets, and might add a rear dash cam as well.

Get the two way water heater, good to save propane when on shore power.

We ordered the external shower so we have the option of washing up outside and saving grey tank space (in accordance with local waste water bylaws of course.)
Old 12-01-2023, 08:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post

Easiest to tow. This is all I’ve ever towed so can’t compare but by all accounts 5th wheels in general are easier and safer to tow than pull behinds. Very little chance of trailer sway. Also easier to back up. The 5.0 is only about 17ft length behind the truck.

Internal height. I’m 6’1. The 5.0 has the tallest interior including the wetbath, and I can sit up in bed.

We liked the full queen bed (without the corner cut off). And also that in the 5.0 you basically have 2 rooms, the general area, and the raised bed area. You can put up a curtain divider if you wanted to physically separate them.

I specifically brought a truck with a 6.5ft bed so didn’t have to deal with any turning issues. I can go a full 90 deg if needed. But you should be fine with 5.5ft. Just remember that so you don’t punch out your rear window accidentally!

We have the Anderson Ultimate hitch on rails. Lightweight and removable. I did buy some rubber shims to eliminate a tiny movement between the hitch and rails. I had an issue known as ‘chucking’ when towing, which seemed to be mainly down to incorrect tire pressures.

Our options of note?

All the USB/12V socket options. There are 5 additional in the 5.0 including one outside (useful for tire inflators/etc).

The EMS. You need something to monitor shore power and protect the trailer electrical systems. You can buy external systems (that can be stolen). I preferred to have an integrated system.

We went with just the dual 6v plus solar panel for boondocking. Full lithium and invertor would add about $7K CAD. If you can manage without any 110v devices off grid you don’t really need the full inverter setup.

We went for the dinette with extended padded cushions. Figured we wanted to be as comfortable as possible. You do still need some separate lumbar support as the cushions are fairly upright.

Flip out countertop extensions are very useful. We have them by the sink, and one in the dinette.

We didn’t go for the supplied AC unit. I’m going to buy the much quieter Houghton 9500 and install that myself. Escape still put the required 12guage wiring in even if you don’t order the AC.

Think if you want any custom 12V drops? Escape will put them just about anywhere. I had one put in in the dinette cabinet. I used it to power a 12V led lighting strip in all the overhead cabinets, and might add a rear dash cam as well.

We ordered the external shower so we have the option of washing up outside and saving grey tank space (in accordance with local waste water bylaws of course.)
I went with the 5.0 for many of the same reasons...But different strokes for different folks...No extra USB's except the ones that came with the optional corner dinette lights(love em!)... No need for counter top extensions, because I don't cook much inside..No 2 way water heater for me...and don't miss it at all.
I opted out of the Ac system offered by ETI .. I have the Houghton and love it... I think my Houghton install was the first one seen by ETI at the Fl egg rally last January.. Samuel couldn't believe how quiet it was with the heat PUMP, rather than a heat strip...it was in the low 40's at the time.. Night time was low 20's F ... Very unusual for Florida.. Now ETI is offering the Houghton on the new 23' campers
Old 12-01-2023, 11:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post

Our options of note?

You’re my hero! Thanks for this. Hope you don’t mind if I PM you at some point. Especially appreciate the info on 6v. Now it’s time to research chucking

Let me know how the AC install goes. Need a hand?
Old 12-02-2023, 04:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Also, just so you know, everyone who doesn’t like a gas oven or a microwave is wrong.

I’ll leave the rest to the 5.0 people as I’m just one of the lowly bumper-pull crowd.
Comments like this should be disregarded. If your plans do not include baking (which I can do in my Weber Q100 when necessary) or you do not use a microwave at home (we do and we use the microwave in the trailer frequently) both can be a waste of space that could be put to better use for other purposes. I suggest you decide if other people’s comments are factual or simply opinionated. This comment is definitely opinion and only you can determine what options will meet your wants and needs. Based upon my experience, I will never have another absorption refrigerator or flooded lead battery. But that doesn’t mean it is OK for me to say that anyone who is content with absorption or flooded lead is wrong.

Furthermore, the second comment I quote implies that the 5.0 owners here either think their poop doesn’t stink or that they look down on “lowly” bumper pull people. This comment is likely made in jest (as could the first; II am not overly judgementall) but it could not be further from the truth.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:02 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
It is in fact entirely true that both of the referenced comments, with signifying emojis, were intended as light-heated jests. I know this as I wrote both of them with exactly that intent.

I say this with the hope that other members here might better understand both this and my future and continued efforts at maintaining a light and congenial atmosphere on this public forum.

Incidentally, my dear wife of 25 years would join me in earnestly stating that my flatulence is in fact often accompanied by great and powerful odors. I just never thought this singular personal detail might be of any great interest to some person residing at the presumably safe distance of several thousand miles from the west coast.

If we should ever share confined quarters such as an elevator cab together, I shall correspondingly and earnestly do my very best to avoid any unpleasantness, as I do each time that I post here.

Regards,
Mike
Old 12-02-2023, 05:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Hello More Questions,

As a solo traveler with no previous RV experience, the thought of choosing options, let alone actually using my trailer, was quite intimidating. With help from folks on this forum, the experience has been a delight.

I love, love, love my 5.0.

The Andersen hitch has worked well, & even this wimpy old lady can easily remove & reinstall it in order to use the truck bed for hauling.

As others have noted, adding the Houghton 9500 ac after market has been a good choice (quieter & cycles less often than the ETI options).

I added 12v drops in the cabinet over the dinette, the cabinet by the door, & the exterior storage compartment, & used 2 of them in the first year.

Having the exterior light by the door installed lower down by the belly band has worked well, as the light is most needed down by the steps. Also, the amber lens was a good choice.

If there is any chance you might modify your cabinets, order extra materials to be delivered with your trailer. The materials are cheap, but shipping them later is very expensive. (Thank you Centex for this excellent advice.)

Just some humble opinions from a happy 5.0 owner.

Best of luck to you!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Comments like this should be disregarded. If your plans do not include baking (which I can do in my Weber Q100 when necessary) or you do not use a microwave at home (we do and we use the microwave in the trailer frequently) both can be a waste of space that could be put to better use for other purposes. I suggest you decide if other people’s comments are factual or simply opinionated. This comment is definitely opinion and only you can determine what options will meet your wants and needs. Based upon my experience, I will never have another absorption refrigerator or flooded lead battery. But that doesn’t mean it is OK for me to say that anyone who is content with absorption or flooded lead is wrong.

Furthermore, the second comment I quote implies that the 5.0 owners here either think their poop doesn’t stink or that they look down on “lowly” bumper pull people. This comment is likely made in jest (as could the first; II am not overly judgementall) but it could not be further from the truth.
Understood
Old 12-02-2023, 09:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
Hello More Questions,

As a solo traveler with no previous RV experience, the thought of choosing options, let alone actually using my trailer, was quite intimidating. With help from folks on this forum, the experience has been a delight.

I love, love, love my 5.0.

The Andersen hitch has worked well, & even this wimpy old lady can easily remove & reinstall it in order to use the truck bed for hauling.

As others have noted, adding the Houghton 9500 ac after market has been a good choice (quieter & cycles less often than the ETI options).

I added 12v drops in the cabinet over the dinette, the cabinet by the door, & the exterior storage compartment, & used 2 of them in the first year.

Having the exterior light by the door installed lower down by the belly band has worked well, as the light is most needed down by the steps. Also, the amber lens was a good choice.

If there is any chance you might modify your cabinets, order extra materials to be delivered with your trailer. The materials are cheap, but shipping them later is very expensive. (Thank you Centex for this excellent advice.)

Just some humble opinions from a happy 5.0 owner.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you, especially regarding the information on the Anderson hitch.

I’m not sure if you are saying the extra 12v drops were necessary, or unnecessary, in your opinion?
Old 12-02-2023, 10:24 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We love our 5.0 for many reasons, the interior space suites us better than any of the other floor plans offered by escape. We wanted a full size queen bed and didn't want the crawl over situation of the 19, also like the separate bed area. The higher ceiling is also really nice.

We could definitely be happy with the 19 or 21 for their interior space but what I really like about the 5.0 is it's towing and handling characteristics. The shorter total vehicle length and it's greater maneuverability. The total vehicle length is similar to towing a 17 but with a better turning radius since the point of pivot is in the bed over the axle instead of out past the rear bumper.

We have a 6.5' pickup bed but lots of people tow a 5.0 with a shorter bed without any trouble. You will still have a tighter turning radius and better maneuverability than you would with any bumper pull.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #20

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Quote:

Let me know how the AC install goes. Need a hand?
Sure…got a winch that can go 10ft in the air?….

Also just to add. If you decide on the Anderson hitch there is a company called Trademasters about a 3 min drive from Escape that will supply/install it for you. Many folks will do this the day before trailer pickup.