Escaping with a cat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2023, 11:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Escaping with a cat

Our nineteen year old cat needs two medicines twice a day, and we have some short trips this year, so we are going to take her with us.

We still need to pickup a leash and harness for her, but I can’t think of anything else.

We’ve spent the last two nights in the 5.0 with Leyna, and she has done well. The big remaining question is how she’ll do with a couple hour ride. She gets carsick in a carrier, so we don’t plan to bring one — we’ll hold her during travel until she relaxes enough to sleep. She does well being held for trips to the veterinary, she’s like a dog watching everything out the window.

I’d like to hear any suggestions or criticisms of our plan.

Obligatory cat photos taken this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	69029

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	69030
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
That sounds like a good plan. If she does well driving when being held in a lap that should work for short trips. When we travel with our cats we always bring along folding soft sided carriers for them that are easily stowed and don't take much space, just to have on hand in case of any kind of emergency - health or otherwise.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:09 PM   #3

Our first trip with her is 2.5 hours. I’m hoping she’ll settle down and fall asleep after 20-30 minutes, either on a lap or in the back seat of the truck on one of her blankets.

It’s good to get comments from the old pro at traveling with cats, thanks David.

Edit: we’ll add a carrier to our list of things to bring

Rick, Mary, and Leyna.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
I’ve read that being able to see outside the vehicle windows, really helps with pet car sickness. And for that purpose you can buy a car seat that lifts them up high enough… Google for a "pet car booster seat". I can’t vouch for this solution as I haven’t plucked up the courage yet to take our cats along on trips.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
I can see a sudden braking swerve to the right to avoid something happening ahead, and the cat, peacefully sleeping on a lap, flying under the driver’s feet.

Maybe your beloved cat would accept the harness and a tether while on your lap or in the back seat to keep everyone safer for these longer and more frequent driving sessions?

May your travels be safe and full of purrs.
Old 06-18-2023, 03:06 PM   #6

We have a storage bin with a cupped lid which fits purrfectly on the rear bench of the 5.0 and the rear seat of the truck. It lifts her up enough to see out and can be seat belted in for safety.

We picked up a harness and leash, the harness part doesn’t unclip on the neck part, so we’ll be taking another trip to the pet store if we can’t find an easy way to get it on her.

Thanks for all the tips, we plan to use them all!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
We have a storage bin with a cupped lid which fits purrfectly on the rear bench of the 5.0 and the rear seat of the truck. It lifts her up enough to see out and can be seat belted in for safety.

We picked up a harness and leash, the harness part doesn’t unclip on the neck part, so we’ll be taking another trip to the pet store if we can’t find an easy way to get it on her.

Thanks for all the tips, we plan to use them all!
Mine travel in the camper, they’re very comfortable traveling on the bed. Since it becomes their second home where they sleep they’re way more relaxed being in there instead of traveling inside the truck. It took a few short trips for them to become accustomed to it but now when I pull over at a stop to check on them they’re usually napping.
There was a time the heat became a factor so now I keep the Coleman AC at 75 while traveling.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:13 PM   #8

We took the cat for a ride around the block in the truck on the ‘perch’ we set up. She seemed to get comfortable, and then threw up.

We’ll try again tomorrow when Leyna has less food in her stomach.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I would get an Apple air tag or Samsung smart tag for your cat, just in case.
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 09:31 PM   #10

We had one cat who hated driving and threw up...and worse every time. We finally had to put him in a large carrier for travel to at least localize the mess. Once we stopped driving and got him cleaned up he did just fine in the trailer.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Mine travel in the camper, they’re very comfortable traveling on the bed. Since it becomes their second home where they sleep they’re way more relaxed being in there instead of traveling inside the truck. It took a few short trips for them to become accustomed to it but now when I pull over at a stop to check on them they’re usually napping.
There was a time the heat became a factor so now I keep the Coleman AC at 75 while traveling.
How do you keep the ac running while on the road ?
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #12

Successful cat test drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I would get an Apple air tag or Samsung smart tag for your cat, just in case.
We’ll look for a collar tag holder at the local pet store, we have some air tags.

Thank you to all for the suggestions, we had success on this mornings test drive with the cat, she didn’t get sick. She was a little anxious when I took her out of the truck, but she did well with the drive. We’ll try another test drive tomorrow.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
How do you keep the ac running while on the road ?
It’s wired so it can be used with the inverter when needed.
The upper outlet is connected to the inverter and the lower one is used when there’s shore power available. Outlets have a small piece that can be removed so as to wire each plug independently.
The AC is always on low auto when running on the inverter.
It really makes a nap while traveling nice.
I had been searching for a way to get this done using the existing system, without much luck. Then I noticed a post on here from Bob G who was using his inverter to run it when needed, definitely a “can do” type of guy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0740.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:48 PM   #14

Had a great trip - will take her again

We had a successful cat trip. She even went outside the trailer on a leash at camp and met a couple neighbors. They were impressed — one of them said she had five cats in her RV but they wouldn’t come outside.

No getting carsick, she was a little anxious on the trip to camp, but pretty calm returning.

Thanks for the help and inspiration. We’ve been wanting to take our cat camping since we saw pictures from David Murphy. A pic of her traveling, and a pic of her hanging out in the trailer.

Name:	IMG_9966a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	69106

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	69105
Old 06-26-2023, 12:42 AM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
How wonderful! So nice that she even went outside on a leash. Impressive! Sounds like she's gonna do just fine 'escaping' with you. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #16

So happy this worked out so well. She looks very cozy in the trailer, and probably loves being in close proximity to you, she will remember that and hopefully will put up with the driving part knowing that it will be great when you stop and set up camp on future trips.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #17

Trailer: Happier Camper 2017/Escape 21NE 2022
Travel with cat

I am actually in the process of selling my Escape but have been preparing a new camper van for a reluctant 18 yo cat. So far we haven’t left driveway but I got a Feliway plug in which is supposed to calm cats (has pheromones in it) as well as s calming collar. She HATES the carrier so I am trying to find some safe places for her to travel. First choice is in passenger seat with an attachment to her harness which loops around top of seat. I am also getting an enclosed cat box (with opening for her) that can be wedged behind driver’s seat. Not sure what will work yet but so far she seems reasonably relaxed in camper while sitting still. Driving with her will start with trip around the neighborhood. Hope that is helpful. I think the Feliway is super helpful for the anxiety.
dustylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 12:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
I have traveled with 2 cats for the last 8 years. Get your harness at Petsmart, not Petco, the ones they have are a better fit. My cats wear theirs all the time. I used to take them off and on for going inside and out, but they are used to them now and I suspect they would feel "naked" without them. I also then have a gallon jug full of sand for each one and attach a long leash to each. When my girls start going stir crazy and need to go out, they can get out, move around a little with their anchors, and they can be placed in various spaces where they will not get tangled. Better than a stake or attaching them to the trailer. One of the hatch/storage areas is dedicated to their cat box, with a nice cat door cut into the front to allow them to access it, but no odor that we have to deal with and easy for us to access for cleaning.
One cat likes to sit on the bench back and watch the world go by, the other buries herself in the bed covers and sleeps. They find their own coping strategies.
They have adapted well and seem to almost like the traveling. I only bring them into the car (I now travel alone) when the weather if very hot and I need to make certain they are ok and cool.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 12:27 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Unfortunately, If you happen to be in an serious accident, any animal could be a flying missile out of the car, just like human babies. It happens all too often. If the animal survives the accident, s/he will run and hide with the chance you may never see her again. I always have my dog in a harness, belted to the car harness. As a nurse, I cannot tell you how many times I have taken care of patients in the hospital who were in an accident and are devastated about losing their beloved pets.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote