Manual Awning Pics - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2017, 12:20 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
paulw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Marysville, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Also, what is a Clam, besides a bivalve mollusk?
Clam Screen room:
https://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporat...5%3A2470955011
__________________

__________________
Paul & Norma
2013 Escape 21 & 2014 Chevy Silverado
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Naples, Florida
Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Posts: 464
awning

I think the manual one might hold up better with the extra arms for support . ( I thought the manual one was just like the Auto one my mistake )Although the elec option is really nice to have if you put it in when at night and during rain etc. .
The Clam is really very nice it sets up very easy and keeps the rain off the table It must be staked down just like any other tent ( I found out the hard way that wind can make the Clam fly )
__________________

jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I think the manual one might hold up better with the extra arms for support . ( I thought the manual one was just like the Auto one my mistake )Although the elec option is really nice to have if you put it in when at night and during rain etc.
It appears the Carefree Freedom WM is also available in a motorized version. It does not have an auto retract feature which would obviously be incompatible with the support arms. I wonder if ETI would consider installing this awning in the electric version as an option for owners who want the convenience of electric, more support from legs than can be deployed and rather deal with a better company than Dometic if they have an issue.

www.carefreeofcolorado.com/documents/Freedom-WM-Owners-Manual.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #24
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 E19, ECD 5/22.
Posts: 24,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I think the manual one might hold up better with the extra arms for support . ( I thought the manual one was just like the Auto one my mistake )Although the elec option is really nice to have if you put it in when at night and during rain etc. .
The Clam is really very nice it sets up very easy and keeps the rain off the table It must be staked down just like any other tent ( I found out the hard way that wind can make the Clam fly )
Lets be clear, there is no extra arms for support with the manual, you take the middle arms out and then attach to the trailer so there is no support in the middle like the power has. The manual is just like the old style manual with support at the ends. The power unit has support in the middle and when only deployed halfway those arms are fairly solid throughout. Further extension does weaken the support admittedly as the arms extend towards the edges.
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Lets be clear, there is no extra arms for support with the manual, you take the middle arms out and then attach to the trailer so there is no support in the middle like the power has. The manual is just like the old style manual with support at the ends. The power unit has support in the middle and when only deployed halfway those arms are fairly solid throughout. Further extension does weaken the support admittedly as the arms extend towards the edges.
Jim: Maybe we are talking about two different awnings, because the Carefree Freedom has additional support arms that store in lead rail. You are not taking the middle, horizontal arms out that deploy with the awing.
Attached Thumbnails
freedom.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #26
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 E19, ECD 5/22.
Posts: 24,062
I could be wrong, I was just looking at the pictures posted, the 2nd and 3rd looked like there were not any arms. If wrong, my bad.
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It appears the Carefree Freedom WM is also available in a motorized version. It does not have an auto retract feature which would obviously be incompatible with the support arms. I wonder if ETI would consider installing this awning in the electric version as an option for owners who want the convenience of electric, more support from legs than can be deployed and rather deal with a better company than Dometic if they have an issue.
ETI first considered using the Carefree electric awning, and in fact I think they may have even built a few for customers. Tammy told me the first few they got failed though, so they switched to Dometic. I was hoping to get the Carefree one because it can be operated via a switch instead of a remote.

The electric one that ETI was using didn't have support legs, probably because support legs are incompatible with an auto-retract wind feature.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Devil Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Steveston B.C., British Columbia
Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Posts: 504
Censorship , It's out there . If you file a legitimate observation at a design flaw that certain people do not completely agree to Your post may be deleted . Other than considering there may be some real input hidden in the feed back. Some owners may be upset with some of the early on set of the malfunctions. It seems that the more and bigger gadgets that are added the more issues there are . Best to keep it simple and get out there and do some camping and leave the crap at home .
__________________
I've almost been everywhere man.
Almost been everywhere.....
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 16,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Censorship , It's out there . If you file a legitimate observation at a design flaw that certain people do not completely agree to Your post may be deleted .
That is not true.
The posts that get deleted are those that are a personal attack on another member of the forum for their views.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: kootenays, British Columbia
Trailer: Looking for the elusive 15
Posts: 211
I am having trouble finding the post that the Escape 5th wheel could not have a manual awning, was it not in this thread?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I am having trouble finding the post that the Escape 5th wheel could not have a manual awning, was it not in this thread?

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f38/a-word-of-caution-on-the-new-self-dumping-awning-10547-8.html#post211949

Here you go, but the moderators closed that thread to additional posts. I did pose what I thought to be a compelling idea regarding fitment of a manual awning on a 5.0 but there was no time for dialogue before the thread was closed. Per the photo the classic 5.0TA had the manual awning extend farther towards the front of the trailer to clear the door. It is not evident to me why this same thing couldn't be done on the new mold. Since the support arms store in the lead rail on the newer Carefree Freedom awning the issue with interference on the rear awning style window in the stored position is moot. It even appears the older style Carefree Fiesta could be used with an acknowledgment by the owner that the rear window would have interference unless the awning was out.
Attached Thumbnails
classic5.0TA.JPG   5.0TA new mold.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: kootenays, British Columbia
Trailer: Looking for the elusive 15
Posts: 211
Thank you so much, it can be hard to locate posts sometimes.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,225
On the new 5.0TA with a manual awning, it looks to me that the door would hit the front awning support arm when the awning was open and the arm in place.
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
nathanj04011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
On the new 5.0TA with a manual awning, it looks to me that the door would hit the front awning support arm when the awning was open and the arm in place.
I know on the Casita's awning, the legs could either be extended to the ground or attached to the side of the trailer. We never hooked it to the trailer, so the door hitting the arm was never an issue. No idea if that is how these awnings work. Or it could be too high for the legs to extend? Could be it's completely irrelevant...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
On the new 5.0TA with a manual awning, it looks to me that the door would hit the front awning support arm when the awning was open and the arm in place.
Hi: thoer... IMHO the problem with the manual awning is the lack of designed in/ glassed in support blocks. When Reace went power he had to change the underpinnings along the inner wall and remove the lower support blocks. Going back in time would be a very expensive proposition.
On a different note what I found easy are my new Anderson levelers, and everyone knows I do easy well!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170813_185225.jpg  
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Per the photo the classic 5.0TA had the manual awning extend farther towards the front of the trailer to clear the door. It is not evident to me why this same thing couldn't be done on the new mold
Although it's hard to see in photos, the front of the current 5.0TA body bends inward to reduce the width at the nose. The awning case would not have a straight surface to mount on if it were to extend forward of the beginning of that bend. The original 5.0TA body did not have that bend (the taper of the body with height reduced the loft width due to the step up in the seam line, so the bend was not required), so a longer straight horizontal line would likely be possible.

There seems to be a general concern with opening the door of the 5.0TA with awning support arms in the vertical plane, and a requirement for a large space between the door and the arm. I assume that the concern is that the door could not open almost 180 to meet the trailer wall without a door-width of space.

The obvious solution to this is to only open the door 90, and to provide a holder at that angle. My fifth-wheel trailer's door could only open about 90 with the awning open for this reason - I just padded the awning arm and secured the door with a long holder. My motorhome door would not be able to open much past 90 with the slideout ahead of it extended - it is held by a gas strut (like a compartment door) which holds it at 90.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: thoer... IMHO the problem with the manual awning is the lack of designed in/ glassed in support blocks. When Reace went power he had to change the underpinnings along the inner wall and remove the lower support blocks. Going back in time would be a very expensive proposition.
I agree it probably has to do with the new mold, but just some food for thought....seems to me that the lower support locations could be coordinated with accessible, but hidden locations under the rear dinette and front cubby area near the stairs that would allow for backing plates to be used that are not integral to the mold. If not, the newer manual awning offered has support legs that store in the lead rail so no issue in the closed position. The legs could simply be used straight down to the ground with stakes (as Nathan suggested was done with his Casita) with no need to engage with the trailer at the lower locations. The manual Fiamma awnings on Scamps are the same way. The support legs do not engage with the trailer.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I agree it probably has to do with the new mold, but just some food for thought....seems to me that the lower support locations could be coordinated with accessible, but hidden locations under the rear dinette and front cubby area near the stairs that would allow for backing plates to be used that are not integral to the mold.
That makes sense to me for a retrofit. The other solution is whatever was done for the other models (17', 19', 21'), for which the manual awning is available (and in at least the case of Rick's 17B) has been delivered from the factory on a current-style body.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That is not true.
The posts that get deleted are those that are a personal attack on another member of the forum for their views.
This is how you explained it to me which helped me understand better. Like you suggested to me, a person should review the Community Rules too.
-------------
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Suggest you read Community Rules Klem:

Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.

-------------
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Centerville, Utah
Trailer: 21 Escape - Sept 2017
Posts: 11
Based on an inquiry I made to ETI yesterday regarding the availability of the manual awning for my upcoming 21, this is the email response I received;

"We have removed the manual awning as an option for the 21 and 5.0TA as we have discovered they are not compatible with each other. Unfortunately, the manual awning will not be an option for your trailer."

Looks like the manual awning isn't available for the 21 model either as well as the 5.0TA
__________________

lchris292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×