Norcold or Dometic? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Norcold or Dometic?

It appears as if for a limited time we have a choice between a Norcold or Dometic refrigerator in our E19. There is an up-charge for the Norcold. It is slightly larger capacity (.2 cu ft) and apparently overall a more expensive fridge. Both are 3 way.
If given a choice is one brand preferred over the other?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
It appears as if for a limited time we have a choice between a Norcold or Dometic refrigerator in our E19. There is an up-charge for the Norcold. It is slightly larger capacity (.2 cu ft) and apparently overall a more expensive fridge. Both are 3 way.
If given a choice is one brand preferred over the other?
I have the 6.3 cu ft. Dometic in my E19. I'm very pleased with it.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have not had any issues with the standard refer in any of my prior 4 Escapes, that I could not fix with the help of this forum.....
Old 03-22-2022, 06:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
They both work, and they have also both had recalls in the past. Norcold used to have decent warranty service, but I have no Idea if that is still true. Dometic has not had reliable warranty service for quite a while. They could both be solid, or both bad. That’s sort of how RV appliance manufacturers seem to be right now. I have the 6cuft Dometic in my September 2021 E19. The freezer is great; the fridge okay. If a Norcold 3 way was an option, I’d probably try it just because I don’t care for Dometic, but that may be extra money for nothing. I like 3 way fridges for my RVing style. Others do not like them as well.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
They both work, and they have also both had recalls in the past. Norcold used to have decent warranty service, but I have no Idea if that is still true. Dometic has not had reliable warranty service for quite a while. They could both be solid, or both bad. That’s sort of how RV appliance manufacturers seem to be right now. I have the 6cuft Dometic in my September 2021 E19. The freezer is great; the fridge okay. If a Norcold 3 way was an option, I’d probably try it just because I don’t care for Dometic, but that may be extra money for nothing. I like 3 way fridges for my RVing style. Others do not like them as well.
That's kind of my sense of it too. A bit of a roll of the dice either way.
I wonder about parts availability. Would Dometic have the edge?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My experience with Dometic is no support parts or otherwise. I don’t know where Norcold is right now. Both used to be good. As I said, personally I’d probably try the Norcold, but I have no current Norcold experience to rely on. My last Norcold 3 way fridge was in the ‘80’s and it was good. My older Dometics worked too. My current Dometic has a great freezer and an okay fridge.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote