Picked up our new 5.0 today!!! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2024, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Picked up our new 5.0 today!!!

We arrived @ ETI this morning around 9am to get our new 5.0 TA & everyone @ Escape was great. Trista did a brief walk-through with us & answered all of our questions. Pat helped me with the Andersen connection block install on the trailer & with hitching it to the truck. All went smoothly & we successfully re-entered US @ Sumas crossing without a hitch (pun intended&#129315. We’re spending a the next two nights @ Bay View State Park campground in Washington; (a beautiful location) before heading back home on Wednesday.
Jim & Jean
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9799.jpg   IMG_9801.jpg   IMG_9800.jpg  
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 03:36 AM   #2

Trailer: N/A
Congratulations! I will pick up my new 5.0 in late June. It is reassuring to read about your smooth experience.
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Congratulations! Beautiful looking trailer.

It may be the camera angle but have you finished levelling the trailer in those photos?
Old 03-12-2024, 09:28 AM   #4

Thanks! (Yes, it was the camera angle on that 3rd photo).
Old 03-18-2024, 12:15 AM   #5

A few "hiccups" along the way

After our first night in the 5.0 last week, we discovered that the furnace was working intermittently. Also found the the escape hatch crank mechanism was disengaging and wouldn't crank down. I spoke with ETI technician on Tuesday morning trying to get the furnace working (unsuccessfully) so we decided to go back to ETI for service before heading home.

Technician replaced thermostat, drilled some holes in underside of cabinet to increase furnace airflow & replaced hatch crank handle. However during his repairs, he discovered a screw penetration up through the roof. (Apparently they used too long of a screw in one of the cabinets.) Jasmine in After Sales support felt terrible & said they'd need to keep it overnight to do the fiberglass repair. She set us up in a hotel for the night & the next morning you couldn't even tell there had been a hole in fiberglass. The tech said he'd ran the furnace all night & it was working fine, so we decided to head south towards home.

We made it to southern Oregon & stopped for the night, turned on the furnace & went to bed, but about an hour later it was getting cold & I realized the furnace wasn't working again. (I kept getting the single flashing red light, indicating an airflow problem), tried restarting furnace several times but no luck. The next morning the furnace fired up again, but once shut down, wouldn't restart, so another call to ETI, while we made the final push home.

Technician thinks it a circuit board issue (which I suspected all along) but he will research further & get back to me sometime this week (fortunately we have no travel plans for a couple of months).

This weekend, at home, I ran the furnace several times where it would fire up, reach temp & turn off and restart on it's own, just as it should, however every so often it would stop working, so it definitely seems to be an intermittent issue.

We'll see what the technician says & I'll post an update once we get the issue resolved. Stay tuned!
Jim
Old 03-18-2024, 02:07 AM   #6

Trailer: N/A
A screw through the roof is not a minor thing — it Is really unprofessional workmanship.
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdeluca View Post
Thanks! (Yes, it was the camera angle on that 3rd photo).
That would seem obvious unless ALL the trees in that spot naturally lean to the right!
Old 03-18-2024, 06:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
After our first night in the 5.0 last week, we discovered that the furnace was working intermittently. Also found the the escape hatch crank mechanism was disengaging and wouldn't crank down. I spoke with ETI technician on Tuesday morning trying to get the furnace working (unsuccessfully) so we decided to go back to ETI for service before heading home.

Technician replaced thermostat, drilled some holes in underside of cabinet to increase furnace airflow & replaced hatch crank handle. However during his repairs, he discovered a screw penetration up through the roof. (Apparently they used too long of a screw in one of the cabinets.) Jasmine in After Sales support felt terrible & said they'd need to keep it overnight to do the fiberglass repair. She set us up in a hotel for the night & the next morning you couldn't even tell there had been a hole in fiberglass. The tech said he'd ran the furnace all night & it was working fine, so we decided to head south towards home.

We made it to southern Oregon & stopped for the night, turned on the furnace & went to bed, but about an hour later it was getting cold & I realized the furnace wasn't working again. (I kept getting the single flashing red light, indicating an airflow problem), tried restarting furnace several times but no luck. The next morning the furnace fired up again, but once shut down, wouldn't restart, so another call to ETI, while we made the final push home.

Technician thinks it a circuit board issue (which I suspected all along) but he will research further & get back to me sometime this week (fortunately we have no travel plans for a couple of months).

This weekend, at home, I ran the furnace several times where it would fire up, reach temp & turn off and restart on it's own, just as it should, however every so often it would stop working, so it definitely seems to be an intermittent issue.

We'll see what the technician says & I'll post an update once we get the issue resolved. Stay tuned!
Jim
You may want to try replacing the hot air flex hose setup with a hard vent pipe, there are plenty examples on here of others doing the same.
I can’t say I have any faith in the hole drilling solution. On mine I sealed up any openings and gaps inside the cabinet to bring all air thru my added furnace filter material.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
You may want to try replacing the hot air flex hose setup with a hard vent pipe, there are plenty examples on here of others doing the same.
I can’t say I have any faith in the hole drilling solution. On mine I sealed up any openings and gaps inside the cabinet to bring all air thru my added furnace filter material.
Yes, I remembered reading about possible airflow restrictions with the flex vent pipe so I removed the entire vent register/flex pipe to provide unrestricted airflow, however the problem persisted. So I'm really thinking it's a control board issue.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Yes, I remembered reading about possible airflow restrictions with the flex vent pipe so I removed the entire vent register/flex pipe to provide unrestricted airflow, however the problem persisted. So I'm really thinking it's a control board issue.
Ok, I would still try the hard pipe out then test it, it’s a good upgrade anyway. I would want to test it out having the input and output separated.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I had to bend the blade on the air switch so it would catch a little more air. Mines worked great since I did that, although I can hear a little clicking of the fan hitting the blade at the end of a heat cycle when it’s spinning down.

I have the pipe in the garage to do Ooshkaboo’s upgrade, but no time right now
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
It could be a board issue. Mine behaved the same way and was a voltage / current issue causing an airflow problem.

Does it run the same on 120 AC as it does on 12V battery? Mine did not, which led me to my solution.

Starting post 190:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-21759-10.html
Old 03-18-2024, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I had to bend the blade on the air switch so it would catch a little more air. Mines worked great since I did that, although I can hear a little clicking of the fan hitting the blade at the end of a heat cycle when it’s spinning down.

I have the pipe in the garage to do Ooshkaboo’s upgrade, but no time right now
The ETI tech actually replaced the sail switch & thermostat, checked the wiring connections and drilled the holes to improve airflow but the intermittent problem persists. When it stops working I can actually hear a faint buzz coming from the furnace. Does the same thing on 12v or 120v, so not much left except the control board.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:00 PM   #14

Furnace Update

Spoke with ETI tech, Pat today for an update. He hasn’t isolated the problem yet but says he has another trailer experiencing the exact same problem. He replaced the thermostat, sail switch and control board on that one but it hasn’t solved the problem. He’s got a call in to Dometic. Hope they can resolve the issue soon.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 21
We had a similar issues on our 2018 21 when we got it. Changed our switch twice, board once. Then we replaced the propane regulator with a Marshall 235 regulator on advice on a different thread and haven’t had any issues since. Might be worth a try. Got it on Amazon $58.75
Old 03-21-2024, 06:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
... Then we replaced the propane regulator with a Marshall 235 regulator ....
Typo? Did you mean Marshall 253 regulator?

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Exce...s%2C397&sr=8-1
Old 03-21-2024, 07:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 21
Thank you Alan me n my fat fingers n tiny keyboard n 75 lb puppy in my lap. Glad you caught that
Old 04-07-2024, 04:13 PM   #18

Furnace Update 2

Spoke with Pat @ ETI again last week and he said they found the apparent cause of the intermittent furnace problem. It seems that the two blue wires to the limit switch which are routed up and over the back side of the valve (see photo) will get too hot and shut the furnace down. Pat said the solution is to re-route the wires around the bottom of the valve. I was concerned that they'd be too close to the exhaust but Pat said that since the burner is above the valve, it's actually hotter on top. So I followed his directions, cycled the furnace a number of times and all seems to work fine. Fingers crossed that the problem is solved for good!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0017a.jpg