really comfortabr mattress topper??? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Pat that sounds like what I need. How thick is your latex and what brand. I need more plush. My 3=4 inch memory foam is too firm.
Nancy
Hi sorry it took awile to get back to you . Ok , at home we purchased from seller Plush beds and the receipt says over 600. For the camper we purchased from Amazon , I looked for the receipts and I couldnít find them but it was a little cheaper . The one from plush beds is 100% Talalay Latex . It is made from the rubber trees . That is why it is so expensive . His price is a markup for his store which is fair . You can find online different sellers , maybe better price . Now we also have tariffs to deal with .
Now the laytex from Amazon we have in the trailer . Soft is 19 ILD , medium is 28 ILD , and firm is 36 IL D . You want at least 2 in for your topper or 3 in . For a Queen I saw 129 in the 2 in . 279 for the Queen in 3 in . You also want a zippered bamboo cover . It will give . The qualities with laytex , you wonít get hot . Also it will bounce back when you move . The problem with foam is it compresses and hardens with cold weather .
The Plush Beds came with a cover already .
If the number is close to 19 ILD , it will still be soft .
Hope this helps you a little . Feel free if you have any more questions . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi sorry it took awile to get back to you . Ok , at home we purchased from seller Plush beds and the receipt says over 600. For the camper we purchased from Amazon , I looked for the receipts and I couldnít find them but it was a little cheaper . The one from plush beds is 100% Talalay Latex . It is made from the rubber trees . That is why it is so expensive . His price is a markup for his store which is fair . You can find online different sellers , maybe better price . Now we also have tariffs to deal with .
Now the laytex from Amazon we have in the trailer . Soft is 19 ILD , medium is 28 ILD , and firm is 36 IL D . You want at least 2 in for your topper or 3 in . For a Queen I saw 129 in the 2 in . 279 for the Queen in 3 in . You also want a zippered bamboo cover . It will give . The qualities with laytex , you wonít get hot . Also it will bounce back when you move . The problem with foam is it compresses and hardens with cold weather .
The Plush Beds came with a cover already .
If the number is close to 19 ILD , it will still be soft .
Hope this helps you a little . Feel free if you have any more questions . Pat
Couldn't get to trailer right now but I took a picture of topper on bed at home with the cover .
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53DA8392-80AB-4C85-86F3-36E260194068.jpg (231.5 KB, 22 views)
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I bought one that sounds the same but in a medium, wish I had gotten the soft like Pat, which they also sell. It's not like you can stuff it back in the bax and send it back. An expensive lesson.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Hi Bob if you canít return , what if you put the 2 in soft on top ? Also the bamboo cover from Amazon not expensive will help too. When we first got the topper we put our cotton cover on and it was too firm even though soft topper , just a thought . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2013 Li'l Hauley
Posts: 539
Mine is this one, we're happy with it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They have 1", 2", and 3" thicknesses.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Mine is this one, we're happy with it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They have 1", 2", and 3" thicknesses.
Yup Mike what I saw today when I was checking . Just need to pull down the menu and pick your size . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:34 AM   #26
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,670
our plans are to have a local custom mattress company make us one to suit. a topper on the existing mattress makes it that much higher, which means you need to slide off the bed to reach the ground, which tends to drag the sheets, blankets, and topper off the bed....
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
our plans are to have a local custom mattress company make us one to suit. a topper on the existing mattress makes it that much higher, which means you need to slide off the bed to reach the ground, which tends to drag the sheets, blankets, and topper off the bed....
Forgot to mention that John . Ours is total 8 in . Linda sewed the top sheet so it is fitted on the whole bed . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
h2owmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Placerville, California
Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Posts: 1,291
$900! sharp intake of breath. whoa!
__________________
--Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced older woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force. --Dorothy Sayers
h2owmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #29
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Bob if you can’t return , what if you put the 2 in soft on top ? Also the bamboo cover from Amazon not expensive will help too. When we first got the topper we put our cotton cover on and it was too firm even though soft topper , just a thought . Pat
It has a Bamboo cover. Good idea on putting a soft on top, I'll check with the boss and see if the sheets will still fit if I go that route.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Platunum.
Posts: 393
Sealy 2" mattress topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
The egg crate one is not making it for us.We need something more. Has anyone tried the Tempur Pedic ones or the My Pillow ones? I am mostly a side sleeper.
We were camping on the Oregon Coast last year and realized that we had reached the "sell the trailer" point regarding back pain from the stock mattress in our 2014 Escape 21. On a whim I wandered into the bedding department at the Fred Meyer store in Astoria, OR, and found the Sealy 2" topper made, of all places, in the USA! What a game-changer--and for about $60, if I remember correctly.

It's smooth-sided, top and bottom, fits the E21 bed perfectly, and enables us to sleep as comfortably on the road as at home. There was no discernible out-gassing. If you needed a thicker topper, I suppose you could buy two of these for a total of 4 inches.

You mileage may vary, but the Sealy topper sure works for us.
__________________
Brent and Cheryl.
Catchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #31
Site Team
 
Janet H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pacific NW, Washington
Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
$900! sharp intake of breath. whoa!
You can order a latex topper from a number of places for waaaaaay less.

I am also a fan of latex. try sleep on latex here: https://sleeponlatex.com/products/na...attress-topper

a 2 inch medium is about right. You can order with or without a cover. The cover is over-rated imo.

A full size, 2 inch medium will run about $130.00
__________________
Wash your hands, flatten the curve - we can do this!
.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose | Dr. Seuss

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,225
What is not discussed here is the foundation for the topper. If the mattress is getting old, neither a memory foam or latex topper is going to make that much difference.


We picked up our 21 five years ago with no mattress; I brought a 6 inch closed cell foam foundation and a 2" Pure Latex Bliss with Activefusion we already owned. Turned out that 2" wasn't quite enough so we found a 2.5 inch latex topper on Amazon for around $300 and is good. I got lucky for my rear bunk on the dinette: a 3" Pure Latex Bliss Twin that is super comfortable on the filler cushions I had made(and have since replaced the foam on the one ETI made. Both the front and rear beds are as good as they were 5 years ago.


You can buy a (now called Pure Talalay Bliss) 3" queen for $549. Their ILD is proprietary yet have read it is likely 16. Placing it on a 3 year old RV mattress is iffy as most RV mattresses are so so, and the durability even more so. The foam foundation for a 21 cost me around $600 if I remember right. Is $1,000 for a great RV bed worth it. To me, no question.
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Afton, Minnesota
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Posts: 53
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
We have an egg crate one at home and the My Pillow in the Escape. I prefer the My Pillow topper and am thinking of switching them for the winter while not camping. I am also mostly a side sleeper.
__________________
Escape with us,
George and Jodi
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
You can order a latex topper from a number of places for waaaaaay less.

I am also a fan of latex. try sleep on latex here: https://sleeponlatex.com/products/na...attress-topper

a 2 inch medium is about right. You can order with or without a cover. The cover is over-rated imo.

A full size, 2 inch medium will run about $130.00
There are different covers . The bamboo has little holes all through . Covers can really change the comfort of the toppers . But has been mentioned in this thread , it is all personal preference. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Posts: 19
Sheepskin?

We sleep in the dinette area of our 17B.



The stock cushions rest on top of a double bed sized set of Froli "stands" (see the Froli website) on top of the plywood benches and lowered table.


A sheepskin mattress cover from Costco (about US$ 100, IIRC) sits on top of the stock cushions. The sheepskin is backed with a cotton muslin on the skin side (opposite the "fur side") and the instructions suggested sleeping with the cotton up in the summer and the sheepskin up in the winter. This has resulted in a very comfortable bed for us.


Caveat: one of us weighs in at 125 pounds and the other at 150.




For over 20 years, I lived on a boat and put 4" of high density foam on top of slats (similar to what they sell at Ikea). The high density foam had a 1.5" layer of latex bonded to it. Heaven. Absolute heaven. =) For me, anyway!



We both sleep about half the night on our backs, about half on one side or the other.


Good luck finding what works for you!
__________________
2019 Escape 17B
2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V8 4X4 tug
MAD escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #36
Junior Member
 
LRCURTIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Collinsville, Illinois
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Posts: 12
We bought a My Pillow topper for our new 19 this summer from BedBath&Beyond using one of their 20% off coupons to bring the price down a bit. It has made all the difference for us - very comfortable and does not make it any more difficult to put on sheets or climb into at night. Hope you find the right product for you.
LRCURTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 15,710
Some information on bamboo fabric:
https://goodonyou.eco/bamboo-fabric-sustainable/
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
There are different covers . The bamboo has little holes all through . Covers can really change the comfort of the toppers . But has been mentioned in this thread , it is all personal preference. Pat
Another important point with the covers . The cover helps you move topper . The latex can tear . You need to flip it to move ,not pull . Also only the 100% Talalay Latex is very expensive . The toppers on Amazon etc have Latex but also have other materials in them hence the cost is less expensive . Still excellent toppers which is what we have in trailer . The expensive one is at home and many years ago ,cost was over 600. I am not getting anything out of this just sharing my experience with bedding . But we all are not the same and what works for me may not for someone else . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Some information on bamboo fabric:
https://goodonyou.eco/bamboo-fabric-sustainable/
Glen Thankyou and going to read this but not tonight Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD escape View Post
We sleep in the dinette area of our 17B.



The stock cushions rest on top of a double bed sized set of Froli "stands" (see the Froli website) on top of the plywood benches and lowered table.


A sheepskin mattress cover from Costco (about US$ 100, IIRC) sits on top of the stock cushions. The sheepskin is backed with a cotton muslin on the skin side (opposite the "fur side") and the instructions suggested sleeping with the cotton up in the summer and the sheepskin up in the winter. This has resulted in a very comfortable bed for us.


Caveat: one of us weighs in at 125 pounds and the other at 150.




For over 20 years, I lived on a boat and put 4" of high density foam on top of slats (similar to what they sell at Ikea). The high density foam had a 1.5" layer of latex bonded to it. Heaven. Absolute heaven. =) For me, anyway!



We both sleep about half the night on our backs, about half on one side or the other.


Good luck finding what works for you!
Sounds like a great bed ! Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×