Registering new trailer in North Carolina - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Registering new trailer in North Carolina

I've read over the last few months horror stories of forum members trying to get their new units registered in various states. Happy to report that NC registration was a piece of cake. Took materials ETI sent (cert of origin, bill of sale, import declaration & customs invoice) to DMV licensing agent. Walked out in 11 minutes with registration, plate, and temp title. Of course during that 11 minutes I had to drop $1639 for taxes/fees. Funny thing is, I have a license plate for a unit that is not even in production yet ... this week I think.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21/ 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4
South Carolina was a breeze as well.
Only problem I had was having to wait until the date Escape had post dated on paperwork to go to the DMV. Oh Yeah, and the taxes were a thrill too!
Olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
Happy to report that NC registration was a piece of cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddog View Post
South Carolina was a breeze as well.
No problems here in Okieland either.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2011 escape
Can I contact you

I am having trouble with my DMV in Kernersville trying to register my escape. Can I contact you or can you tell me where you went to register yours?
John 336-608-0097
Lisco141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #5

Can I contact you. I am having trouble in Kernersville trying to register my escape.
John
336-608-0097
Old 04-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
Wish I had your DMV agent! I was just turned away from my NC office because I didn't have an inspection form. Probably going to try another office soon to see what gives.
AndNeitherDoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #7

Give me a call 336-608-0097
Old 04-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Oh no. Not this again. Wake Forest license plate office has worked for two of us. John has more info than I.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA as of June 28, 2018
2014 Escape 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
I've read over the last few months horror stories of forum members trying to get their new units registered in various states. Happy to report that NC registration was a piece of cake. Took materials ETI sent (cert of origin, bill of sale, import declaration & customs invoice) to DMV licensing agent. Walked out in 11 minutes with registration, plate, and temp title. Of course during that 11 minutes I had to drop $1639 for taxes/fees. Funny thing is, I have a license plate for a unit that is not even in production yet ... this week I think.
I delivered the 2014 Escape 19 to my son, his wife and two grandsons in Tampa last Christmas They were really enjoying it ....at least they were until Corona Virus hit and closed everything down. Hopefully it will pass and they can back to using it and will be gone when your 5.0 is ready. Best, Mel
Mel Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Registered yesterday in Buncombe county with just the MVR-1 application and the documents delivered by ETI with my trailer. Did not have to provide MVR-180 or MVR-181
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
I’m a new member Stan E21C on order. We live in Oriental NC, 25 miles east of New Bern. This is the first I have heard of this issue. Could someone please explain the procedure? It appears from some of the posts that you are provided with forms from Escape so you can register your trailer and obtain plates prior to picking it up. I just assumed the virus would be over by the time my trailer was ready and I’d drive to BC to pick it up. Thanks Jim A.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #12

I feel like I saw in a Escape youtube or maybe read somewhere that they are no longer sending out documents ahead of time. I do know that having the original docs were required for me to get my title and tag.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacchino View Post
I feel like I saw in a Escape youtube or maybe read somewhere that they are no longer sending out documents ahead of time. I do know that having the original docs were required for me to get my title and tag.
That makes a difference. I certainly don’t want to tow an i unregistered uninsured trailer across country.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
That makes a difference. I certainly don’t want to tow an i unregistered uninsured trailer across country.
A lot of states, Pennsylvania included, require an inspection prior to registration. Therefore you just pick up your unregistered, but insured trailer, and take your time returning home. It is common practice, just make sure you have insurance in place.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
you dont normally need registration before getting insurance.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacchino View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
you dont normally need registration before getting insurance.
You will probably need a VIN for the trailer. I contacted ETI and they emailed me the 'proposed VIN number' and I was able to use that to get insurance.

Name:  proposed vin.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  10.8 KB
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 E-19
Thanks...that's a great suggestion. Here in AZ doing anything with the Motor Vehicle Division takes a huge investment of time. In the last week I've spent 3 hours total (not all at once) trying to get an appointment to speak to someone about what's necessary for a 30 day temporary tag (the existence of which is referenced on the AZ Department of Transportation website). After that 3 hour investment, I have an appointment for next week. Sounds like progress, but the confirmation I received via email says it's for a travel ID. Huge sigh. I'll go anyway and hope that my normally sunny disposition and occasionally charming demeanor will at least get me a clue about the procedure.
Jon in AZ
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
In 2015 I received my 5.0 TA in a parking lot in Salisbury, towed it home, and did the DMV thing the next week. The trailer was insured and I had the paper work from delivery. If I would have been stopped that would be all I needed.

The most important part is to be sure you explain the currency exchange. So that the DMV uses the American value for the taxes and fees.

I believe most US build sheets now show US currency paid if a US customer, so no exchange rate calculations needed
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
I believe most US build sheets now show US currency paid if a US customer, so no exchange rate calculations needed
Yup, was true for us
Old 11-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #20
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
You will probably need a VIN for the trailer. I contacted ETI and they emailed me the 'proposed VIN number' and I was able to use that to get insurance.

Attachment 51808
Just a quick heads up - for those waiting for a new Escape trailer, if ETI sends you a 'proposed VIN number', please double check that number with your 'final VIN number' paperwork!

Last year, ETI had sent us a proposed VIN# so we insured our trailer with that 'proposed VIN number'...but ETI failed to mention to us at pick up that they changed the VIN number and we didn't notice it because at a glance, it looked identical (just the last number was different.)

When registering, it was our California DMV agent who first noticed this discrepancy. Then we realized we had redundant paperwork with 2 different VIN numbers. Feeling confused, we all went out to the trailer to double check and see which number matched the trailer. We then shuffled and gave him all the corrected/matching 'final VIN number' paperwork.

Then we called our insurance agent to correct the VIN number on our insurance plan. We assume something must've happened to a trailer in the ETI factory production line, prompting them to move all the VIN numbers up a digit...but it would've been nice for them to inform us of our VIN# change - so just a reminder to double check your final VIN numbers! - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote