Split from For Sale, discussion about other builds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2023, 07:05 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Split from For Sale, discussion about other builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
Yes, we love our Escape 19 but decided we needed something a bit bigger and since the Escape 23 was taking some time we ordered a Taylor Coach. Which we now also have.
Interesting—never heard of Taylor Coach, so went to their website: https://taylorcoach.com They are the reverse of the molded-fiberglass Escape, built from the inside out, entirely of wood and plywood (on a metal frame), clad in aluminum sheeting:

https://youtu.be/MidNbDa89Jo

Looks like their 21 and 24-foot models have layouts similar to the overdue Escape 23, with a walk-around bed. Aside from the larger-than-Escape models available, are you comfortable with the construction? Not worried about leaks?

I expect your E19 will sell quickly.
Old 06-24-2023, 12:10 PM   #2

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
are you comfortable with the construction? Not worried about leaks?

Leaks are a product of poor construction quality, more than construction type. IMO

All RV's use the same type of windows, which will leak if not properly installed. Same thing with roof vents, a/c units, thru wall appliances, etc.

I've owned a bunch of rv's in my life, the only two that ever leaked were so-called quality fiberglass units.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 12:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
I've owned a bunch of rv's in my life, the only two that ever leaked were so-called quality fiberglass units.
What brands were those?
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Many brands use fiberglass as sheathing on exterior walls and roofs, and they all have seams. Only true molded-fiberglass bodies avoid them.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:26 PM   #5

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
What brands were those?
Quote:
Many brands use fiberglass as sheathing on exterior walls and roofs, and they all have seams. Only true molded-fiberglass bodies avoid them.

I'm not going to get into brand bashing. The first was the number one rated fifth wheel for about 20 years and leaked around the window with subsequent wall and floor damage.

The second was a very popular molded fiberglass trailer which also leaked around the window. I caught it before it did any real damage.

I've owned several stick built rv's which never leaked because they were built with care. My point was/is that quality in construction is more important than construction type.

Probably the Class C with the best reputation is wood framed with aluminum skin. They closed shop last year after many years of highly rated business with dedicated followers. Quality costs, whether it's stick built or otherwise.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Jeremiah, what you say about quality of construction is doubtless true. I didn't mean to hijack Bear101's Classified notice; was just curious about Taylor Coach. I expect, as a small, factory-direct builder, that they make a high-quality product.

Further discussion about construction and leaks should go in a new thread.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Interesting—never heard of Taylor Coach, so went to their website: https://taylorcoach.com They are the reverse of the molded-fiberglass Escape, built from the inside out, entirely of wood and plywood (on a metal frame), clad in aluminum sheeting:

Looks like their 21 and 24-foot models have layouts similar to the overdue Escape 23, with a walk-around bed. Aside from the larger-than-Escape models available, are you comfortable with the construction? Not worried about leaks?

It is an experiment with stick built, but they have been in business 57 years and we watched them build our trailer and met the people doing it so we are impressed with the quality. We have our name in for a 23 as well but t h e Taylor Coach is working out well so far.
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 08:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I think worthy of consideration is the fact that a slow leak in a stick built trailer results in hidden rot. Hence their short life span, on average, if not carefully looked after and maintained. Not much to rot in a fiberglass shell.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 09:55 PM   #9
Site Team

Now that this discussion about leaks has been split off from the Classifieds, let me explain why I raised the question of leaks in the Taylor Coach trailers. According to all I have read, the biggest problem with stickies and leaks is delamination. Water leaks into the walls from the seams with the roof, and the layers begin to separate. So looking at the Taylor video, I wondered how they dealt with the problem.

Back in December, 2021, when new Escapes required a wait of a year or more, and used ones within a thousand miles of us were snapped up faster than we could travel to look at them, we put a deposit on an inTech Sol Horizon, an attractive camper built on a unibody aluminum frame and a one-piece fiberglass roof and nose. As it turned out, I cancelled the order when news of aluminum axle mounts breaking appeared (since remedied, if belatedly), but I was also concerned about the seams between the room and the wall panels, which had to be re-sealed every year.

Yes, molded-fiberglass trailers have many openings in the hull (doors, windows, vents, ACs and fans, etc.) but they are far less likely to have walls delaminating from leaky roof/wall seams. Perhaps the aluminum-clad Taylor trailers have a way of preventing this—certainly Airstreams do—which is what I was gently asking about.

Anyway, that's where the discussion above started.
Old 06-28-2023, 03:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have talked to many over the years who owned Taylor Coach and all were very happy. I think the attraction is custom built low volume. Better than Indiana.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:21 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
. . . but I was also concerned about the seams between the room and the wall panels, which had to be re-sealed every year.
Error (Edit option gone): between the roof and the wall panels
Old 06-28-2023, 09:40 AM   #12

Trailer: 2023 E19
I researched Taylor Coach prior to ordering my E19. Everything I read suggests that they are a reputable, customer-focused, quality boutique RV manufacturer. I was really surprised how light-weight their offering is. The models equivalent in size to the E19 are 800-1000lbs lighter!

If I thought that a conventionally-constructed trailer would meet my needs, and/or if I lived a few thousand kms closer their manufacturing facility....I definitely would have given Taylor Coach serious consideration.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 10:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Leaks are a product of poor construction quality, more than construction type. IMO
I agree
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
I emailed Taylor in 2017 and inquired about price & lead time. At that time a 17' started at about $28k and they had a 2 year backlog (Escape's was more like 6 months, I think). They seem to have their fans.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hi: MrLynn... Last I heard Taylor Coach http://www.taylorcoach.com wait list was nearly 3 yrs long. They'd be my go to builder for a "Sticky". Their production facility is about 2 1/2 hrs. from home. Talked to a fellow camper with a newish TC. 24'er. He's already got a build slot for a new trailer... if he wants it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 09:01 AM   #16
Site Team

Howdy Alf— I'll have to keep an eye out for Taylor Coaches (we're heading out to the PA Wilds Saturday). I'm still (idly) curious how TC manages the roof-wall interface.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:48 PM   #17

Trailer: WTB: E19
I dont know why Escape did not use a similar floor plan ...walk around with a dry bath

this is a 21 side entry althought the floor plan is not clear the website shows a dry bath https://taylorcoach.com/product/21/
Attached Thumbnails
floor.JPG  
Old 06-29-2023, 03:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
I dont know why Escape did not use a similar floor plan ...walk around with a dry bath
I believe the interior length on the Taylor is about a foot longer and the bed is 5" shorter than the 23. That extra length makes all the difference for this layout.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 E19
The picture you attached has a wet bath. Also, that's a short 75" full size bed and the dinette is only 40" which is pretty narrow. So some floor savings here and there by trimming the sizes. The Escape 19 is a 44" dinette and I don't consider our dinette large. I wouldn't want it any smaller even if it opened up the trailer a little bit.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:17 PM   #20

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
The picture you attached has a wet bath. Also, that's a short 75" full size bed and the dinette is only 40" which is pretty narrow. So some floor savings here and there by trimming the sizes. The Escape 19 is a 44" dinette and I don't consider our dinette large. I wouldn't want it any smaller even if it opened up the trailer a little bit.
look at their website shows dry bath https://taylorcoach.com/product/21/
Attached Thumbnails
floor.JPG