Staying hitched during a one night stop - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 19
Staying hitched during a one night stop

Hey all,
We are picking up our new 19 in Sumas and bringing it back to Baltimore this fall. During that trim most of our stops will be for one night only. I would appreciate advice on whether we need to unhitch from our tow vehicle for those overnights.

From my online reading I have gathered that people often stay hitched (although it is recommended to disconnect the power/lights/brake cable) and that many put the front jack down enough to take the trailer weight.

The controlling factor appears to be whether or not the site is level enough to allow the refrigerator to run properly. How level is "level enough"? One post I read recommended that a level show at least half of the bubble within the level center lines.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Bob in Baltimore
bobwirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Normally if it is level enough to fall asleep. it is okay for the refer. We try to keep it level when hitched, so when stopped we just unhook the power cord but stay hooked up for ease of departure later.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Dometic spec is within 7 degrees of perfectly level. Practically speaking, if your bathroom and entry doors don't swing closed/open, it's fine. There are several smartphone apps that let you use the phone as an electronic level. I use this free one - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ihandy-level/id299852753

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Level enough to sleep comfortably, as Jim said, will be well within tolerance for the fridge. You will develop a feel pretty quickly for "level enough" - if the bed feels OK then you're fine. If the trailer feels bouncy when you walk around you can easily just put the stabilizer jacks down while staying hitched up.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Your trailer should have bubble levels on the passenger side and the rear. Pull into your camp site. Look at the bubble level on the rear of your trailer. If my bubble is half outside the level line, and I'm only staying one night then I don't level the trailer. If I'm staying at the camp site for more than one night then I'll level the trailer side-to-side. So far, if I leave my tow vehicle attached to the trailer then my E2 Weight Distribution Hitch has my trailer level front-to-back.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwirtz View Post
Hey all,
We are picking up our new 19 in Sumas and bringing it back to Baltimore this fall. During that trim most of our stops will be for one night only. I would appreciate advice on whether we need to unhitch from our tow vehicle for those overnights.

From my online reading I have gathered that people often stay hitched (although it is recommended to disconnect the power/lights/brake cable) and that many put the front jack down enough to take the trailer weight.

The controlling factor appears to be whether or not the site is level enough to allow the refrigerator to run properly. How level is "level enough"? One post I read recommended that a level show at least half of the bubble within the level center lines.

Bob in Baltimore
Bob you can always put some leveling blocks under trailer or Tow vehicle tires to get closer to level. With our 5th wheel I have even blocked up the back tires of the truck to get leveled. Have fun!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
I sleep with my head at the high side if the trailer isn’t quite level on overnight stops. Just move the pillows to the higher side of the bed. More comfortable that way vs head slightly down. If it works out, having the drivers side slightly higher helps the shower water drain a little faster.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hey all,

Bob in Baltimore
Ni: bobwirtz... I always hope we stay "Hitched" after a "One night stand". LoL The 5.0TA tows level and for o'er nite if its comfy for us it doesn't affect the fridge IMHO. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
From my online reading I have gathered that people often stay hitched (although it is recommended to disconnect the power/lights/brake cable)...
Even that isn't a problem with a properly wired tow vehicle, which means that it shuts off power to the trailer when the tow vehicle's ignition is turned off. It's easy to check the tow vehicle's connector (with the trailer unplugged) to see if the +12V circuit goes off when the vehicle is shut off.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Level enough to sleep comfortably, as Jim said, will be well within tolerance for the fridge. You will develop a feel pretty quickly for "level enough" - if the bed feels OK then you're fine. If the trailer feels bouncy when you walk around you can easily just put the stabilizer jacks down while staying hitched up.
My recommendation if you deploy the leveling jacks or the front jack down put a placard or something on the driver’s seat to remind you that they are down so you do not forget to raise them.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When stopping in the evening for the night we always stay hooked up. We just park and go in the trailer and do whatever until sleep time, then get some sleep, get up and drive away. No need to disconnect the 7-pin from the truck, as is shuts down DC supply to the trailer when the truck ignition is off.

We do this all the time while travelling a distance to get somewhere. Truck stops or store parking lots that allow overnighting are most common. The odd time we just fine a side street that has lots of room and would bother nobody.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
It is possible to end up with a campsite that is too short to keep your trailer hitched to your vehicle overnight, but with a little planning you can avoid those. Otherwise it's okay to leave the trailer hitched while you sleep.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We normally leave ours hooked up for overnight stops. Unless the hitch is already too high, I'll use the tongue jack to relieve some weight on the TV. The exception to this is when camped somewhere with few other campers nearby. Then we'll unhook just enough to be able to use the tow car in case of some sort of medical emergency or similar. We're thinking more about that as we get older! My wife is not the best at towing and wouldn't be able to manage the WDH alone to get us unhooked.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 19
Very good point about possible medical emergency! Thanks for sharing that.
bobwirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
My recommendation if you deploy the leveling jacks or the front jack down put a placard or something on the driver’s seat to remind you that they are down so you do not forget to raise them.
Appreciate this tip. Thank you! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
No need to disconnect the 7-pin from the truck, as is shuts down DC supply to the trailer when the truck ignition is off.

Agreed! We never disconnect the 7 pin. Just did 4,000 miles over three weeks in CA and OR. Only disconnected twice. Mostly level and the refer only reset once (beeping sound, turn it off and back on).

Way to much traveling and not enough nights at the good places, like Coo's Bay. Got lots of attention, everywhere.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have overnighted many a time, if not at a WalMart then at a Flying J or similar stop-over place and have never, ever given leveling a thought. For my money more important is the next morning pre-departure walk-around, just in case you forgot you lowered the corner support thingos so at night the bed don't rock and roll.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I was in Portland, Oregon in early March 2020 when the virus hit. When campgrounds started closing I knew I had to abort my trip to Alaska and head home. I drove six straight days, 500 miles per day, boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom. I never unhitched but I might have unplugged at night, I don't remember. Made it home okay.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #19
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
My 2000 F150 did not disconnect the charging circuit when the truck was turned off (I tested it). My 2001 GMC Yukon did disconnect the charging circuit when the truck was turned off (I tested it too). My current TV is a 2015 F150 (seems to have a very low current when TV is turned off). I tried, but could not find any official F150 documentation stating if the charging circuit is turned off when the vehicle is turned off. I have been disconnecting the 7-pin when stopped. Does anyone have either documentation or test results showing it does not need to be disconnected?
MVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I should mention I have also never ever disconnected the 7 pin from my Silverado those times I never dehitched. Actually, never thought to do it. The truck always started up the next morning. But, of course also never fired up the Cappuccino, either.