Wandering around in Florida now, and no Escapes to be found. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2023, 06:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Wandering around in Florida now, and no Escapes to be found.

We haven't really even seen any fiberglass trailers of any sort down here.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 06:53 PM   #2

We're in highland hammocks state park for this week.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
Mines in St Augustine, fl ....heading Thursday to Destin ,Fl and then Panama city
Florida for a week...5.0
Old 12-18-2023, 08:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Wait until after New Years, they will come out of the woodwork. Between residents returning for the winter and snowbirds coming south for the winter.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 03:39 AM   #5
Nan

Trailer: 2023 5.0
Quote:
We're in highland hammocks state park for this week.
We are going to Highland in March. How do you like it there?
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 03:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
There is a fiberglass trailer rally in early February at Highlands Hammock State Park called Scamp Camp. It was started many years ago by Scamp enthusiasts but has morphed into an all brand of fiberglass trailer event. I do attend that event often and I camp one weekend in the fall with my son-in-law and his two young boys. Other than that, I do not camp in Florida. Having stayed at approximately 95% of Florida’s State Parks as well as some Forestry Service and private campgrounds, some more than once, I will quote the Eagles: why bother “after the thrill is gone!” My 5.0 inhabits a steel carport, and it is only likely to be seen at those previously mentioned times or whenever I leave the State for locations more diverse and interesting.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
We are going to Highland in March. How do you like it there?
The State Park is named after the county it is in (Highlands County) and the terrain in which it is located (hammock). A hammock is a dry area surrounded by swamp land. Before moving to Florida in 1985, I thought of a hammock as something you strung between two trees and rested in!

Some of the campsites are tight, others more spacious. Bring an extension 30 amp shore power cord and a second hose because some of the pedestals in some sites are not where they should be, or you will be making a run to Wally World, a few miles away. The older bath houses could use a bit of maintenance; some of the fixtures covered with cardboard marked “out of order” have been out of order for a few years, but it really does not create any problems. Because of the location, there are alligators in various locations (do not let that freak you out). I’ve never seen one in the campground or on any of the roads. There are several trails for walking, most notably the Swamp Trail, an elevated boardwalk where you might see a gator or two, turtles, herons and other birds, and lots of bald cypress trees. Purchase tickets for the tram ride( it takes you on a guided tour through otherwise inaccessible parts of the park and you will see alligators, lots of them, and be subjected to comical comments from the tram driver. HHSP was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps, and there is an interesting museum (free) you probably would find enjoyable.

At that time of the year, the population of Sebring explodes. It takes two or three times as long to get to places as it does in the summer. Plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, and big box stores. Other relatively local attractions are Lake Placid (a few miles south), a small town known for its many wall murals on buildings and Solomon’s Castle. There is also Bok Tower Gardens about 45 minutes north in Lake Wales, as well as Spook Hill, where your car seemingly rolls uphill backwards after coming to a stop. It is near Bok Tower. And if you are race fans, you can visit the track where the 12 Hours of Sebring endurance race takes place.

All in all, you should enjoy you stay at Highlands Hammock SP and the surrounding attractions.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
All in all, you should enjoy you stay at Highlands Hammock SP and the surrounding attractions.
Is it just me, or does Lake Jackson/Dinner Lake look like Mickey Mouse just did a Vincent Van Gogh on himself?

Thank you for this interesting report on the area. It's now on my list.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Hig...a2xr?entry=ttu
Old 12-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #9

This the sites are a little bit odd to pull into or through but it's a nice park.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
We're headed south the day after Christmas for a few days at City of Rocks SP New Mexico. A long way from Florida but still south.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 07:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2023 Escape E23
We will be heading to Egg Rally and S'More in Live Oak FL Jan 12-15. First trip with the new 23 and doing open house with Samuel and Steve from ETI on Saturday. Sounds like a good number of Escapers are expected for the rally.
Unit # 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:23 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Fort Pickens?

We are headed to Fort Pickens National Seashore for two weeks in March. The panhandle is always nice and not so crowded. March starts getting into spring break but usually not bad. Last time we were at Fort Pickens Covid had just kicked in and they shut the campground down the last two days and kicked us out.
I just watched a Utube video where a couple complained about the campground hosts being Gestapo like on things like tow vehicle parking and other things. Had no problems like that last time. Hopefully not so much now. Any recent experiences?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:33 PM   #13

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Just sayin'. "Joe Patti's Seafood" for fresh good eats and "Sandshaker Lounge" for a Bushwacker 302.

in regards to camping, they might be a little more strict only to keep the locals from using it as a vacation home. It's a nice place to enjoy.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 03:17 PM   #14
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
We are headed to Fort Pickens National Seashore for two weeks in March. The panhandle is always nice and not so crowded. March starts getting into spring break but usually not bad. Last time we were at Fort Pickens Covid had just kicked in and they shut the campground down the last two days and kicked us out.
I just watched a Utube video where a couple complained about the campground hosts being Gestapo like on things like tow vehicle parking and other things. Had no problems like that last time. Hopefully not so much now. Any recent experiences?
We were there a couple of years ago in loop A. According to the staff at Ft. Pickens, historically people parked on the sand and not the campsite pad, thereby killing the fragile plants. Hence, the staff are requiring people to park within their campsite and not off the site pads. Apparently some campers have a strong dislike to the change in requirements. Someone arrived in a 42' class A with a toad and was upset they could not fit within a 36' pad, and had to leave.

YMMV, but my advice is review the driveway details on recreation.gov, review the pics on the site to see if there are any obstacles at the back of the site. For our F150 (20') with a E19 trailer, the trailer can extend beyond the pad by 5'. Hence we need a minimum of 34' site (20+19-5).
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 01:17 PM   #15

And just to day a 21NE, and a 19 showed up and their neighbors here in Florida here in Florida.

And we had a couple Casita show up yesterday.