We've Been Here Before: Chemical Smells in Escape Trailers - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2023, 06:54 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Another reason I'm glad we bought a used 2014 21C (was about 3 years old) and have never dealt with this.

Hope you find a solution.

Enjoy the road and smooth travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:50 AM   #22

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRV View Post
My 2017 that I bought used only smelled because of the black tank chemicals that the previous owner had stored inside. once I moved that container to the utility box outside my problem was solved.
I will try this but don't think it is the problem in my 2021 21NE because I have had numerous people look for the source of odor and no one has been able to sniff it out. I have tried wiping down the interior surface a couple times, cleaning all the bedding parts except the mattress, moving all food and spices out of the trailer, adding chemicals to the grey water tank, thoroughly ventilating the trailer and storage spaces, and maybe removing the foam cushions (I am not sure about this but think so).
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Just had another thought for Charlie. They sell handheld meters now that measure VOC's and formaldehyde. I wonder if this would be comprehensive enough to be a reliable indicator of acceptability of a space/trailer. You could measure spaces where you know she is ok (i.e. home, vehicle) and then compare levels within your trailer or potential trailers you might consider. It would be a bit of a science project but you could also consider mailing the meter to other owners with different vintages of trailers to see if there is a clear reduction with age. With all of the different materials and adhesives used it will definitely take quite a while to dissipate and I have no idea what would be considered acceptable or not but the testing might give you a way to gather some meaningful data.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just had another thought for Charlie. They sell handheld meters now that measure VOC's and formaldehyde. I wonder if this would be comprehensive enough to be a reliable indicator of acceptability of a space/trailer. You could measure spaces where you know she is ok (i.e. home, vehicle) and then compare levels within your trailer or potential trailers you might consider. It would be a bit of a science project but you could also consider mailing the meter to other owners with different vintages of trailers to see if there is a clear reduction with age. With all of the different materials and adhesives used it will definitely take quite a while to dissipate and I have no idea what would be considered acceptable or not but the testing might give you a way to gather some meaningful data.
There are companies, think environmental labs, that rent this kind of equipment. Much cheaper than buying and you don't have to maintain the meter.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 None
You might try to wax and oil interior surfaces where ever you can. Use the same wax and oils your wife uses in the house so you don't add to the problem. Coating the surfaces will help slow down off gases. Good luck and keep us informed.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:38 PM   #26

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Good luck! I'm sensitive to odors too, but not as much as your wife. I can certainly feel for her though. When I go inside our late year 2016 trailer I don't smell the "new smell" any longer (which took several years to disappear), however I do smell it on anything that's sat in there for some time, such as clothing, towels, etc. I can smell it when I bring it inside the house. I know this doesn't help your situation, other than it could take years for it to go away, which is very frustrating.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:09 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
and just about when the 'new' chemicals and such fade out, mildew and such starts being a problem.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 2022 E19
Go old & metal to start

Consider finding an older (like 1960/70's) vintage Airstream or Avion with a nice shell, gut it, and build it up with materials of your choice. Sell your current trailer and have a pro build the new one if needed. It will hold it's value similar to an Escape. There are smaller/lighter models of both to choose from.

I had a really nice 1964 T-27 Avion that had been gutted/rebuilt and had almost zero fumes due to the materials NOT used.........had a stainless shower even......of course the jalousie windows likely helped as they leaked air like crazy (no water though) I didn't buy it for that reason - but it was really nicely built. I should have kept it........but it was like a train.

Worth considering...........
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
On this subject a few months ago, someone suggested the possibility of using house plants to clean up the chemical contaminants in the RV. This is what I found, no actual experience as we have not had the issue.

https://lajollamom.com/house-plants-...fy-indoor-air/
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:15 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We have sold the 2018 Escape 19. Unfortunately! It is a beautiful trailer.

We have purchased a 2019 Airstream Bambi Sport. My wife spent some time in it and did not have any problems. I appears that the only possible problem will be the fake leather covering on the dinette cushions - which can be replaced!

It appears that the Airstreams are the best option for those with MCS!

Thanks again to all the responses!

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
fake leathers have gotten amazingly nice. my wife has a 2016 Mercedes E350 wagon, which has their "Artico" fake leather, stuff feels and looks like real leather, it breathes and everything. but you can clean it like its vinyl. We previously had a 1994 Mercedes E320 wagon, that one had vinyl that was like old school heavy Naugahyde, very durable but it was obviously not leather..
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:52 PM   #32

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
We have sold the 2018 Escape 19. Unfortunately! It is a beautiful trailer.

We have purchased a 2019 Airstream Bambi Sport. My wife spent some time in it and did not have any problems. I appears that the only possible problem will be the fake leather covering on the dinette cushions - which can be replaced!

It appears that the Airstreams are the best option for those with MCS!

Thanks again to all the responses!

Charlie

Enjoy your new trailer!

Safe travels..................
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote