Allure Flooring Installation Questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With a layer of vinyl on top, I doubt there would be much off gassing. Carpet, and other porous man made materials, much more so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
With a layer of vinyl on top, I doubt there would be much off gassing. Carpet, and other porous man made materials, much more so.
Jim it is the vinyl itself off gassing . Years ago I saw something about vinyl chloride used in home products siding , windows etc. It Was pretty scary. I like the Allure but I am hesitate . We also do not like to step on a cold floor ,hence the carpet which extra from home . Really would like a wood floor but not practical for a trailer . Just wondering. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #23

No doubt there would be a sit of off gassing, but being a solid surface, it would be minimized, as most would be encapsulated. I did a wood floor, and we love it. Not a chance that Reace would do it though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #24

Quote:
No doubt there would be a sit of off gassing, but being a solid surface, it would be minimized, as most would be encapsulated. I did a wood floor, and we love it. Not a chance that Reace would do it though.
hear you . By the way the flooring you did looks great . They say cork and bamboo is a better way to go . But will it hold up in a trailer with maybe some runners ? The entering doorway is my concern . Pat
Old 05-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #25

I have no worries with wear on my cork. I did 4 coats of a tough water-based polyurethane. If needed, it is really easy to give a light sanding, and add another coat or two in the future.

Bamboo is nice too, another wood that is more environmentally friendly. I chose cork for the warmth and insulation, as well as the good looks.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #26

Quote:
I have no worries with wear on my cork. I did 4 coats of a tough water-based polyurethane. If needed, it is really easy to give a light sanding, and add another coat or two in the future.

Bamboo is nice too, another more wood that is more environmentally friendly. I chose cork for the warmth and insulation, as well as the good looks.
Thanks Jim for the advice will consider . Think would like the cork for warmth and insulation factor . Pat
Old 05-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim it is the vinyl itself off gassing . Years ago I saw something about vinyl chloride used in home products siding , windows etc. It Was pretty scary. I like the Allure but I am hesitate . We also do not like to step on a cold floor ,hence the carpet which extra from home . Really would like a wood floor but not practical for a trailer . Just wondering. Pat
Some flooring products do off gas. I recall a huge scandal recently where Lumber Liquidators had to buy back some flooring from China because it off-gassed formaldehyde. In the case of Allure flooring however, Halsted (the manufacturer) says the following:

"Allure is LEED EQ 4.1 compliant for low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) as well as 4.1 - 4.2 for recycled content. It meets all other California, Canadian, European and Global environmental standards. It also meets the Indoor Air Quality of Floor Score, an industry standard, with Certification SCS-EC10.2-2007."
Old 05-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Some flooring products do off gas. I recall a huge scandal recently where Lumber Liquidators had to buy back some flooring from China because it off-gassed formaldehyde. In the case of Allure flooring however, Halsted (the manufacturer) says the following:

"Allure is LEED EQ 4.1 compliant for low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) as well as 4.1 - 4.2 for recycled content. It meets all other California, Canadian, European and Global environmental standards. It also meets the Indoor Air Quality of Floor Score, an industry standard, with Certification SCS-EC10.2-2007."
Robert not meant as a insult to you . I know you are going to install Allure . I did see some complaints to this flooring and I was looking at it too to buy . But I still have reservations for me . Doesn't mean you are wrong or I am wrong . We need to do what is comfortable for our shelves . It 's all good and we do have our Escapes . Pat
Old 05-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Robert not meant as a insult to you . I know you are going to install Allure . I did see some complaints to this flooring and I was looking at it too to buy . But I still have reservations for me . Doesn't mean you are wrong or I am wrong . We need to do what is comfortable for our shelves . It 's all good and we do have our Escapes . Pat
Hey Pat, would never take a question as an insult. Never have.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #30

The nice thing about the Allure, is that if you tire of it, it wears out, or even fails, it is easy to pull out.

One thing one has to remember about reviews, is that a much higher percentage of unsatisfied customers post reviews, than do those that are complacently happy with their purchase. I have seen lots of negative reviews on items, or even destinations, that leaves me wondering what the heck they were expecting, often for a bargain price.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
People have installed wood and partial wood in their trailers and it looks absolutely beautiful. As far as the environmental concerns, my impression is that carpet is much more of a problem than vinyl.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
People have installed wood and partial wood in their trailers and it looks absolutely beautiful. As far as the environmental concerns, my impression is that carpet is much more of a problem than vinyl.
I think all new products have a off gassing for awhile . Isn't that what we like about a new car smell or your new trailer when you get it . My carpet is very old I installed from house however this piece was never used . We are talking years in age . There is no odors anymore from this piece . I can still smell a newest to my trailer when I open door . We all get that . The problem was is a vinyl product safe for your environment -which is a small space and you will be sleeping etc. A lot of seniors do have breathing issues I don't but I think we can all make our own choices in what we think is comfortable for us .
Old 05-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Hey Pat, would never take a question as an insult. Never have.
Thanks Robert . Pat
Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
I think all new products have a off gassing for awhile . Isn't that what we like about a new car smell or your new trailer when you get it . My carpet is very old I installed from house however this piece was never used . We are talking years in age . There is no odors anymore from this piece . I can still smell a newest to my trailer when I open door . We all get that . The problem was is a vinyl product safe for your environment -which is a small space and you will be sleeping etc. A lot of seniors do have breathing issues I don't but I think we can all make our own choices in what we think is comfortable for us .
Old carpet, or old anything, is no problem as far as I have ever heard. That old carpet should be just fine for you. It is the new carpet when just installed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #35

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
I work at a Home Depot and have sold Allure Flooring for 8 years. Allure was test marketed in Canada before it ever hit the U.S. markets. The ingredients used in Allure (PVC resins, filler, plasticizer, hot melt adhesive, zinc and calcium stearate stabilizers) are dried and rest in a solid state so there is no off-gassing. The product is LEED EQ 4.1 compliant for low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) as well as 4.1 - 4.2 for recycled content. They meet Canadian, Californian, European and Global environmental standards. They also meet the Indoor Air Quality of Floor Score, an industry standard, with Certification SCS-EC10.2-2007." Of course all these tests are to protect the health of the consumer. Saying that, some people are much more sensitive to smells than others, and some people have health issues with any "manufactured" product.
You can go out and purchase any product that certifies it has no off-gassing but that doesn't mean there would be no smell - it could give off odors from the way it was stored or packaged. Nowadays it's pretty much a crap shoot - you can have all the certifications in the world but it doesn't guarantee that some people won't be affected and there seem to be more and more people today who are super sensitive. I installed Allure 7 years ago throughout my entire basement (over 1000 square feet) and odors have never been an issue. Packaged products in general will smell to some degree as they have been tightly contained but once released, most "smells" will, like that new car smell, lessen in strength until they eventually disappear. So there's no absolute answer here but I can tell you I have sold LOTS of Allure to RV owners and the only complaint I've had was from a guy whose roof leaked. Eventually enough water collected in the walls and under the floor to create a mould issue. The floor wasn't the issue- it was simply poor maintenance by the RV owner.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:44 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Allure in RV

I've installed Allure flooring in 3 trailers now and we're in Arizona with 120 degree summers and probably hotter in the trailer in storage during that. Taken the trailers with Allure in snow, beach, altitude, you name it. No issues with Allure performance.

Buddy took one of my pieces of Allure to his house and submerged it in a bucket of water for 3 days. Think what that would do to laminate or wood flooring? Not any issue with the Allure when he removed it from the bucket.

This stuff is made for Trailers.
Here is the Allure flooring that has been in my Escape 17B for almost two years now. New Allure Vinyl Plank Flooring | Scamp Owners International
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:00 AM   #37

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't think that's an issue for all but a tiny fraction of the population. In any event, it is gluten-free.
HA HA! I know that's meant as a joke, but gluten can make some people very sick. It does for me, along with onions, garlic, high fructose corn syrup, honey and a ton of other foods (FODMAPs). Yeah, it's a bitch, but at least I don't get sick. Kind of puts a damper in people asking you over for dinner as they never know what to fix for you.

But, to keep it on flooring. Sounds like a lot of work to put a new floor in. What brand vinyl do most people use? (I'll ask that in a new thread.)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I see that many are redoing the floor in both older and newer Escape trailers..
Is this mod driven simply by aesthetics or are their quality issues with the standard factory flooring ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Is this mod driven simply by aesthetics or are their quality issues with the standard factory flooring ?
Just the incessant desire for change and upgrading.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I see that many are redoing the floor in both older and newer Escape trailers..
In my case, totally aesthetic Steve. There's nothing wrong with the stock vinyl.