Another cooktop question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Canadian gas codes allow for a shut off valve. So worst case, install the gas valve which would also serve as a connector and run a short line from it to the stove.

Ron
Need to educate Reace then, as he said this is not allowed in RV production.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
I just removed the foam that covered the gas line under my 5.0. It crossed between the axles and only had a few inches of foam. A sharp putty knife made quick work uncovering the line. You could see the line in places so locating it way easy. I have removed quite a bit of foam in a couple of places while working on my galley. The difficult part is laying in the gravel driveway.
I’ve done my share of work on the underside of vehicles on rocky terrain. With a pickup, I kept a piece of plywood in the box on the bedliner that I could pull out to work underneath. A topper or tie-offs are advised so it doesn’t blow out. Saw a bedliner along the road a week ago Monday morning.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Actually there's that possibility because all my gas experience is either residential gas or marine gas installations. Residential installations use a ball valve and marine installations use a solenoid and a gage on the line.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:05 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have lots of ply, osb, and mats for working on gravel. I do it all the time. It appears from looking at the escape website, that swapping the Suburban drop in for the slide in would require replacing the whole countertop since the cutout for the drop in extends further toward the sink than the stove. Does Escape use the glue down with silicon caulk method on the counter, or how is it removed?
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:14 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question

Quote:
Just curious - do Escape trailers display an RVIA (RV Industry Association) seal?

Old 11-27-2020, 12:28 AM   #26

Looked at the manuals section of the forum and did not see the manual for the Suburban range or flush mount range. I also did not see it at Airxcel. I have also not seen a picture of a flush mount range at Escape. It’s possible such a picture is still too new to be had. Anyone know where I could find the manuals?
Old 11-27-2020, 12:29 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't have RVIA sticker. It's just an organization that certifies trailers to be trailers. Costs the manufacturer. Not sure if CSA is Canadian version.
Members of RVIA include Thor Industries and Forest River. Full list of crappy trailers is available here:
https://www.rvia.org/manufacturer-members-list

Not saying they are all crappy.
Attached Thumbnails
CSA sticker.jpg   Escape wt sticker.jpg   Escape Specs Form.jpg  
Old 11-27-2020, 02:25 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just curious - do Escape trailers display an RVIA (RV Industry Association) seal?

No. See here for more info:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post363137
Old 11-27-2020, 05:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Actually there's that possibility because all my gas experience is either residential gas or marine gas installations. Residential installations use a ball valve and marine installations use a solenoid and a gage on the line.

Ron
I'm not at all familiar with marine installations, but have done many hundreds of residential (actually mostly done by my plumbers), most with shutoff valves.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just FYI the copper feed installed by ETI is 3/8" nominal.

If needed one could cut the copper at some point within the cabinet where it is accessible, install a 3/8" flare copper union to join a new / longer piece of 3/8" copper, and terminate that with the 3/8" flare common to most RV cooktops (or other if necessary).

Sure, I'd avoid it if I could, but IMO a properly cut, flared, installed, and tested union will be perfectly tight and safe for the very long run.
On my 2020 Escape 19, the copper ends under the trailer and there is a 6 foot 3/8" rubber hose that runs up to the cooktop.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #31

Interesting. So even a stainless flex gas line might be an option with the shutoff under the trailer. I’d have to build some access and protection around the foam.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
On my 2020 Escape 19, the copper ends under the trailer and there is a 6 foot 3/8" rubber hose that runs up to the cooktop.
Recently, I was helping someone with their trailer and noticed that the propane line to the fridge terminated below at the frame and was run with rubber hose to the fridge gas connection.

I guess all the propane gas runs are that way now.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #33

In my 2017 the fridge uses a rubber gas line. I also used one when I added my low pressure disconnect in a wee closed hatch as it was through the front part of the trailer not real easy to work in, and the flexible hose fed through worked nice.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #34

That would sure make it easy as long as the first bit of it before going into the trailer is protected.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Recently, I was helping someone with their trailer and noticed that the propane line to the fridge terminated below at the frame and was run with rubber hose to the fridge gas connection.

I guess all the propane gas runs are that way now.
I wouldn’t be surprised if this was industry standard now but like a lot of things I’m not sure if it’s necessarily better. I just hope they are using very high quality hoses and passage through the trailer shell are well protected from cuts/abrasion. Are these hoses made differently than the rubber propane tank pigtails that owners eventually have trouble with?
Old 11-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
That would sure make it easy as long as the first bit of it before going into the trailer is protected.
The rubber hose is very tough, and there really is no wear under a trailer, with exception at the very front or the wheel wells. My 19 after 6 1/2 years was very pretty underneath still.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if this was industry standard now but like a lot of things I’m not sure if it’s necessarily better. I just hope they are using very high quality hoses and passage through the trailer shell are well protected from cuts/abrasion. Are these hoses made differently than the rubber propane tank pigtails that owners eventually have trouble with?
It goes through a larger hole, surrounded by expanded foam.

This is the exact line that they used - Part I6C72FS6FS6 - 3/8 ID, 3/8 FS X 3/8 FS, 72".

I wanted to change to a longer one as I'm installing a convection microwave, and I wanted to move the run away from the top of it. So, I contacted Escape to find out what was used to order a longer replacement.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
That must have just started in the past year. My, Sept. 2019, is copper all the way.

Quote:
In my 2017 the fridge uses a rubber gas line. I also used one when I added my low pressure disconnect in a wee closed hatch as it was through the front part of the trailer not real easy to work in, and the flexible hose fed through worked nice.
Yes, the flexibility of rubber hoses can't be beat when retro-fitting equipment. I added a propane fireplace to my boat and the hose ran through all sorts of hidden spaces. Would have been almost impossible to do it with copper.

All boats with gimballed stoves have inline connections. You can't run a copper line to a gimballed stove, it's connected via a union joint to a flexible line.

Quote:
It goes through a larger hole, surrounded by expanded foam.
In marine use a line passing through a bulkhead is required to connect to a bulkhead fitting and continue on with another hose. But as long as the hose is protected from chaff, I personally don't worry about it.

Gone are the old days where you could just go to a propane shop and buy a length of hose, cut it length and add your own hose barbs. Now you can buy a fixed length of hose or have them make up an exact length. It will come with a certification sticker.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
That must have just started in the past year. My, Sept. 2019, is copper all the way.
The rubber hose change must have happened shortly after your build as my December 2019 build has a rubber line to the stove.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quick summary of the gas standards situation: whatever the national and provincial codes for buildings, an RV in Canada must meet standards in the CSA Z240 series to be sold by the manufacturer in some provinces, and should meet RVIA standards in the U.S. CSA is not RVIA, and not related to RVIA, but their standards serve similar purposes for Canada and the U.S. If CSA (or RVIA) have a requirement regarding propane installations, Escape will design to meet that, even if a similar requirement does not exist in building codes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote