Axle upgrade - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
My 2021 5.0 says axles 1588kg x 2 or 3500# axle rating
AZjack
Same here.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 5.0 VIN and Loading placards.jpg  
Old 01-09-2022, 10:14 AM   #42

Trailer: 2021 21C
We have an E21 made in Feb 2021. The GAWR is 1588 kg on the sticker and the axel stickers show 3,500 lb. capacity. It's a good thing, too, since when we are fully loaded for travel with a full fresh tank the trailer measures 4,960 lbs. on a CAT scale. As far as I'm concerned, the gross trailer weight rating by Escape is a marketing tool, with no engineering basis. I haven't weighed the trailer empty, but I know it has to be much higher than the Escape-claimed dry weight. We just don't have that much stuff in the trailer.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
I haven't weighed the trailer empty, but I know it has to be much higher than the Escape-claimed dry weight. We just don't have that much stuff in the trailer.
Have you got propane tanks, battery, air conditioner, microwave, oven, reinforced walls? No options are included in dry weight. Dry weight is dry weight, not delivered weight.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:07 PM   #44

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Have you got propane tanks, battery, air conditioner, microwave, oven, reinforced walls? No options are included in dry weight. Dry weight is dry weight, not delivered weight.
Escape lists 536 kg (3818 lbs.) on the sticker as delivered weight. This compares to the dry weight from Escape of 3465 lbs. We have the oven, light weight A/C, no microwave, no reinforced walls. I suspect that delivered weight, which includes a full fresh tank, is at least several hundred pounds off. Escape's weight is not a measured weight, it's a calculated weight. And I do understand the differences in types of stated weights. One of these days I might unload the trailer and weigh it, but the closest CAT scale is an hour's drive one way.

Ultimately, I really don't care about the weight variance. I've got plenty of excess capacity in the axels, tires, and in my tow vehicle. I just think it throws people off and should be more accurate and based on sound engineering. When you state the same GTW for the 19 and the 21C at 5,000 lbs. it doesn't set right with me. That's why it seems to me that these are just marketing numbers to make the trailers look lighter than they end up being.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, french fries are not hash browns.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:36 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
When you state the same GTW for the 19 and the 21C at 5,000 lbs. it doesn't set right with me. That's why it seems to me that these are just marketing numbers to make the trailers look lighter than they end up being.
That 5,000 pound value is not gross trailer weight (GTW) for either trailer; it is the gross trailer weight rating (GTWR or GVWR) for both trailers... the limit for loaded weight, not the empty weight (dry, wet, base, as-equipped, or otherwise).

It makes perfect sense for these two trailers to have the same GVWR, because the have the same axles, same coupler, and similar frames (with the same rail dimensions), so they are both mechanically and structurally capable of handling that weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:13 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I think the 5000 lb gvrw rating of the 19 and 21 probably does have a marketing element in that it matches the max tow rating of a number of popular viable tow vehicles like the Toyota Highlander and 4Runner, and the Honda Pilot.

A higher trailer gvwr, regardless of the actual trailer weight, would likely cause at least some people to rule out a 5000 lb max tow rated vehicle they have or would like to have and instead feel like they would have to tow with a truck or full sized suv. Pretty sure that would diminish the appeal of the 19 and, maybe to a lesser extent, the 21 for a lot of potential customers.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:42 PM   #48

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
The Dexter #10 axle sticker indicates 3500# on our 21C (2020). Side sticker shows 2x1588 kg.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:13 PM   #49

Our 21C shows a dry weight of 3465#
Shipping wt. 3938#
GVRW. 5000#
Cargo Cap. 1062#. ( calculated with a full FW tank of 284#. )

So can I add a 1000 pounds or 1000 less the 284?.

I assume that is in addition to the fresh water. I had a tank of fresh water when delivered, but empty propane tanks. So with propane say round off 4000#.
With waste and gray full add another 400# or so. Lol my carrying capacity then is 600#. Glad I have the axles and tow vehicle, as I have am not going to worry about it.
Replaced my Carlisle with Goodyear Endurance after a few months of receiving trailer.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:29 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Our 21C shows a dry weight of 3465#
Shipping wt. 3938#
GVRW. 5000#
Cargo Cap. 1062#. ( calculated with a full FW tank of 284#. )

So can I add a 1000 pounds or 1000 less the 284?.

I assume that is in addition to the fresh water. I had a tank of fresh water when delivered, but empty propane tanks. So with propane say round off 4000#.
Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) is what you can carry in addition to the water, and because the trailer's shipping weight (at 3938 pounds) includes water and the GVWR is 5000 pounds that CCC value makes sense. The placard on the side of the trailer should show the water weight used in the calculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
With waste and gray full add another 400# or so. Lol my carrying capacity then is 600#. Glad I have the axles and tow vehicle, as I have am not going to worry about it.
No, waste tank contents don't subtract from carrying capacity: the idea is that the water in the waste tanks came from the fresh water tank, so if you have the waste you don't have that water, so the total fresh+waste water amount is constant.

If you choose to fill the fresh water tank without emptying the waste tanks, you're choosing to use your cargo carrying capacity to carry that extra water around.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) is what you can carry in addition to the water, and because the trailer's shipping weight (at 3938 pounds) includes water and the GVWR is 5000 pounds that CCC value makes sense. The placard on the side of the trailer should show the water weight used in the calculation.

No, waste tank contents don't subtract from carrying capacity: the idea is that the water in the waste tanks came from the fresh water tank, so if you have the waste you don't have that water, so the total fresh+waste water amount is constant.

If you choose to fill the fresh water tank without emptying the waste tanks, you're choosing to use your cargo carrying capacity to carry that extra water around.
Well that’s what I surmised…. And sometimes I have to carry the extra weight for a short time and no I don’t use my cargo carrying capacity, I am sure I possibly exceed its capacity. Again it’s only for a short tine.
Guess one day I’ll have to run it to a scale.
It pulls great and my Anderson no sway keeps it in line.

Didn’t mean to get off course from the axles on this thread.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:26 AM   #52

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Don (DWM3), When I read your 21NE trailer weight and date of manufacture, I did a double take. I have 21NE manufactured 1/20/2021. I weighed it last Saturday on Cat Scale with full fresh water and propane but no hot water. Axles 4480 and tongue 480 for total of 4960 the same as yours. I used a Sherline scale to measure the tongue. Almost same date of manufacture too. What a coincidence!

Bob
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote