Bathroom Sink Delete - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2024, 12:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Bathroom Sink Delete

I'm wanting to do a bit of a bathroom remodel in my 2014 17b. I'd like to remove the sink because we don't use it for anything except a shelf. And because I'd like to have more space to take a shower. I'd like to put some sort of small cabinet or shelf behind the toilet to put the small amount of toiletries we usually keep in the sink.

Has anyone done either of these things? Kinda looking for pictures, ideas and suggestions how best to go about this.

Thanks
77FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Boat mesh storage bag

At least in my rig, there's not much room behind my bathroom throne. I've kept my sink and use a mesh storage bag below and to the side of the sink. Toiletries fit well, and the one I have has multiple pockets and the larger pocket. I've used these sort of mesh bags as I had them from when I had a sailboat. There's lots of sizes, styles, colors, etc to choose from. I have several mounted about the cabin for light storage. I've attached mine to the bath wall with 3M square plastic zip tie bases and the supplied adhesive foam tape. In the cabin I've used 3M Command hooks and adhesive film for attachment.

An advantage is these are lightweight, see through and don't cause a bruise if you bump into one.
Attached Thumbnails
mesh bag.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:57 PM   #3

Thanks. Bags like that are a pretty good idea. May hang something like that behind the toilet.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
A little audacious but a recessed medicine cabinet is really nice. See post #39 for pics.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post187207

Or find the wood frame members over the toilet and you can do one surface mounted
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...html#post93965
Old 02-11-2024, 12:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Oops scratch that first option. You can’t recess one in a 17B as the galley is right next to the bath. Doable on a 19 because you recess it into a closet.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77FJ40 View Post
....I'd like to remove the sink...
FYI / FWIW I removed the similar sink in the similar bath module of my 2005 Casita. I was determined to end-up with an 'original appearance' as if the sink had never been there.
  • I used a shower valve similar to this chrome shower-only faucet; I had access from the adjacent closet in that trailer to re-route the PEX water supply to suit, I've no idea of that situation in your Escape 17.
  • I used several of these white tub patch kits for patching the sink mounting holes and with very much work and backing material the abandoned water supply and sink drain holes.
  • The project was a ton of tedious work and I'll admit the end result was not truly 'invisible' upon close inspection.
  • But I did enjoy my bath-sans-sink for many years, no regrets about the mod.
The sink-removal can certainly be done and end-up with a shower-only, but think carefully about the holes in the bath you'll end up with and the aesthetics of remediating those.

Good Luck, Have Fun!

(No solace for you but I'm very glad that ETI agreed to eliminate the sink and associated plumbing holes in my 5.0 bath module, making this alternate shower sans-sink possible.)
Old 02-11-2024, 02:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
We use our sink to aid in "navy showers" . Partially fill the sink with hot soapy water and wash with that mixture then rinse . Saves a lot of water in a trailer that has small tanks .
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77FJ40 View Post
I'm wanting to do a bit of a bathroom remodel in my 2014 17b. I'd like to remove the sink because we don't use it for anything except a shelf. And because I'd like to have more space to take a shower. I'd like to put some sort of small cabinet or shelf behind the toilet to put the small amount of toiletries we usually keep in the sink.

Has anyone done either of these things? Kinda looking for pictures, ideas and suggestions how best to go about this.

Thanks
Our 5.0 came without a sink. If I had to do it over again, I would still leave the sink out. Using an Oxygenics hand held shower, the two of us combined will use a total of 3-4 gallons of water.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
... the two of us combined will use a total of 3-4 gallons of water.
Even without the sink I wouldn't think the shower stall was big enough for those kinds of shenanigans!
Old 02-11-2024, 08:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Even without the sink I wouldn't think the shower stall was big enough for those kinds of shenanigans!
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I use these baskets that stay on really well with suction cups. They don't fall off during travel. I remove the one over the sink when I shower but leave the one over the toilet since it doesn't get wet. And before anyone complains, that soap dish really doesn't drip all over the wall! If a little residue happens to drip, it gets cleaned up during a shower and I use my shower a lot.

Linda
(these pics are going to be sideways because that always happens to my vertical shots until someone fixes them - sorry!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6550.jpg   IMG_6549.jpg  
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Now you've done it!

[QUOTE=Nindy;
Linda
(these pics are going to be sideways because that always happens to my vertical shots until someone fixes them - sorry!)[/QUOTE]

Too late. Now you've done it! They've caused a crook in my neck from trying to view the photos. For shame!

I've had moderate good luck with suction cups. Some glycercin oil helps to hold them in place longer.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Too late. Now you've done it! They've caused a crook in my neck from trying to view the photos. For shame!
Hehe, sorry about that!
Old 02-21-2024, 09:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 21 C owner :-D/ '24 RAM 1500 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
I use these baskets that stay on really well with suction cups. They don't fall off during travel. I remove the one over the sink when I shower but leave the one over the toilet since it doesn't get wet. And before anyone complains, that soap dish really doesn't drip all over the wall! If a little residue happens to drip, it gets cleaned up during a shower and I use my shower a lot.

Linda
(these pics are going to be sideways because that always happens to my vertical shots until someone fixes them - sorry!)
Easier on the neck:

Name:  Escape sink.jpeg
Views: 140
Size:  22.6 KB
mresseguie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
Easier on the neck:

Attachment 72774
I think I'll be adding something like this. Thanks for the pics.

I've been working on kitchen upgrades the last couple weeks and I decided since the coutertop in the kitchen was out, it would be much easier to tackle the bathroom sink delete at the same time.
I cut the sink drain pipe off inside the kitchen cabinet and plugged it. I used a white self adhesive door knob pad to cover the hole in the bathroom. I cut the water supply pipes off in the kitchen cabinets and krimped on some new fittings for a really nice shower valve I found on Amazon with a plate that covered the hole from the hot water supply that was in the wrong spot. I drilled out the cold water supply a little larger and drilled a new hot water supply in the right spot for the new valve. I plan to use some white screw head caps sililarnto the brown ones found in other parts of the trailer to cover up the holes from the screws to hold up the sink.

Overall we are very happy with all the extra room in the shower.
Attached Thumbnails
20240415_201826a.jpg  
Old 04-15-2024, 09:51 PM   #16

I still need to find a shower curtain. Where is the best place to get one for my 17B? I think I'll need the little hangers on top as well. All that is there now is a rail.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:03 PM   #17

Any regular sized shower curtain works. Just cut it in half and you have two! Count them, but there should be the correct number of holes to attach to the pre-existing hangers. I recently bought a new one and needed to shorten at the bottom.

Oh sorry, just noticed you said you didn’t have the hangers. Probably Amazon or an RV supply place would have them.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:06 PM   #18

These look sorta familiar.
https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Nylon-...s%2C178&sr=8-3
Old 04-15-2024, 10:11 PM   #19

Thanks Nindy. Those do look like they'll work. Pretty cheap. I'll give em a try.