door panel as frame for acrylic 'art' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #1

Trailer: soon, but not soon enough!
door panel as frame for acrylic 'art'

In several of the Escape videos, staff point out that some people put lights behind the perspex panels located in upper cabinet doors (in the trailers with Maple and Contemporary interiors) to illuminate them a bit. I was wondering if it is possible to get a nice effect by mounting some acrylic/perspex artwork there? Even something as simple as purchasing an inexpensive abstract illustration from a stock photo site and sending it to an acrylic sign printer to get a small panel printed. Many of these companies offer printing of small (tabletop sized) signs so I might be able to get something in a size that wouldn't be too large.

I do realize these panels in the trailer cabinet doors are not very large. I was thinking an abstract design so that it doesn't matter how much of it is inside the frame. Something that would be colorful to add something interesting to the trailer, and also could be backlit at night. I was thinking of doing this just for the cabinet door over the large dinette area.

When I search the internet, I see a lot of prints and painting done on acrylic medium, both large and small, that seem like they have enough transparency that they could be illuminated from behind.

I don't know if I would have to try to remove the perspex panel Escape has in there by default and replace it (or if that is even possible without damaging the door), or mount the art on the front of that existing panel and see if any illumination gets through, or if there is some other better way to attempt this? It kind of looked like the panel is clear but there is a darker material behind it that gives it a darker appearance but I'm not sure if that is actually the case. I suppose I could try to remove the whole door at the hinge, and mount a different 'frame' door panel with an inset there using the existing hinge hardware.

Just curious if anyone has tried anything like this? Apologize if this has been posted before. I searched on 'perspex' and a few other terms but didn't find anything.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I haven't done it with the overhead cabinets, but I did replace the panels in the refrigerator with a couple of my photos:
Old 01-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #3

Wow! That looks great. Thank you for posting a photo here.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I don't know if I would have to try to remove the perspex panel Escape has in there by default and replace it (or if that is even possible without damaging the door)...
I haven't seen these specific doors up close, but my guess is that the door frames are not assembled around the panel (the way a traditional raised-panel door is built), but instead the frame is likely built first then the panel is laid in from the back and retained by clip or mouldings (the way a glass-insert door is built). So replacing the panel should be feasible, if my guess is correct.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
September 2021 build. Our panels have no fasteners. They appear to be glued in with a bead of silicon or close relative type caulk. The frame is routed and the panel is glued in making removal appear strait forward. Image attached.
Attached Thumbnails
387BBD07-D9E2-4D48-A599-12A3199985CC.jpg  
Old 01-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Cabinet Doors Over Dinette

I went out to our trailer and took a picture of one of the cabinets over the dinette, one with the door open and one with the door closed. The panel is held in place with a clear silicone material and routed. I am attaching both pictures for you to see what it looks like. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220124_171936008.jpg   IMG_20220124_171941158.jpg  
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I haven't done it with the overhead cabinets, but I did replace the panels in the refrigerator with a couple of my photos:
Jon can you direct us to where you found these? I’m wanting to also do something like this on my 21C
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
Jon can you direct us to where you found these? I’m wanting to also do something like this on my 21C
I didn't "found" them ; I took them. The top one is of Whitehorse Falls along OR 138, and the lower one is Devils Tower taken from the Joyner Ridge parking lot.

I had them printed & laminated to the size necessary for the refrigerator door by Posterbrain. While they did a good job on the print of the House on Fire ruin I used in my 17, I was not happy with the results this time. The lamination is bubbling off the surface.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC6730.jpg  
Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I didn't "found" them ; I took them. The top one is of Whitehorse Falls along OR 138, and the lower one is Devils Tower taken from the Joyner Ridge parking lot.

I had them printed & laminated to the size necessary for the refrigerator door by Posterbrain. While they did a good job on the print of the House on Fire ruin I used in my 17, I was not happy with the results this time. The lamination is bubbling off the surface.
Wow thanks! I never even thought about doing something like that. I have a lot of really great pictures I could use.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Staples makes posters. They laminate but I think only to smaller prints. I got my print of the Grand Canyon made there. The poster is not thick enough to not buckle when in place on the door. I refused to glue it in. The other issue would be keeping the picture clean and safe from accidental scratches.

My solution was buy a cover sheet of Plexiglas. Plexiglass protects the poster. However, even though at 1/16th of an inch it was much too thick for a fit within the removable black fridge door trim.
Gently using files and a Dremel sander on the edges of the plexiglass sheet will get it thin enough to allow the black fridge trim to hold the picture and plexiglass in place. But that black fridge trim will fight you. The trim pops off with a gentle screwdriver but if your insert is too thick that is the problem. Otherwise, all is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridgedoor.jpg  
Old 01-25-2022, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
September 2021 build. Our panels have no fasteners. They appear to be glued in with a bead of silicon or close relative type caulk. The frame is routed and the panel is glued in making removal appear strait forward. Image attached.
Thank you for taking time to post the cabinet door detail photo! I am sure this will be helpful to have it here on the forum for reference. Seems like lots of people have ordered a trailer or are busy shopping for a used one, and some of them find it difficult to see the trailers up-close and in-person due to distance, pandemic, etc.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
I went out to our trailer and took a picture of one of the cabinets over the dinette, one with the door open and one with the door closed. The panel is held in place with a clear silicone material and routed. I am attaching both pictures for you to see what it looks like. Hope this helps.
Those photos are very helpful. Thank you so much!
Old 01-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Another option would be to find a thin fabric you like and attach it to the inside. The light should shine through easily. You could mount/glue it to a thin quarter round frame and use small screws to attach the frame on the inside.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hey Jon did you have any "encounters of the third kind" when you took the pic of the Devils Tower?
Thats a great photo
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Hey Jon did you have any "encounters of the third kind" when you took the pic of the Devils Tower?
Thats a great photo
No, but the parking lot for Joyner Ridge is in the middle of nowhere, very dark & the animal sounds around you while taking middle of the night photos are interesting!

A great location for setting out a chair and watching the meteors & milky way on a moonless night.