E19 New, bigger/deeper sink project - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2023, 05:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
E19 New, bigger/deeper sink project

2022 E19 with the flush mount stove / oven.

The stock small/shallow sink just doesn't work for us - so out it goes!

After seeing numerous similar projects on the FB Escape pages, I chose this stainless Valisy 15Wx20Lx9D sink as the 17" wide units were just to wide for my configuration:
https://www.amazon.com/VALISY-Stainl..._d_product_top

Old sink came out easy, no silicone under the edge, just 4 mounting clips and a "foam" gasket adhered to the bottom edge.

Rough layout of new sink. The exterior of the blue tape matches the outside edge of the new sink (15x20). I wanted to push the sink all the way up against the stainless backsplash, but due to the original sink cut out, that will not work. The new cutout will be approx. 14x17, as the faucet flange area will sit on the counter rather than trying to get a jigsaw up against the exterior wall. I removed the 2 mounting clips that came on the new sink along that edge. They popped right off with a large flathead screwdriver and a hammer.

I'll still have around 5 /12" of space between the sink edge and the stovetop, versus around 6 3/4" with the original sink. I'll lose a few inches of storage height under the sink, but the new sink drain is set back about 4" closer to the exterior wall than the original. I also may run the drain a bit different than a direct shot to the Hepvo in the front left of the cabinet.

More to come in the next few days..............
Attached Thumbnails
old.jpg   new sink cut outline.jpg  
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Very nice! I'm now adding that to my list of very likely updates.

Is your existing faucet the one provided by ETI? If so, would you mind measuring the height from the bottom of the sprayer to the top of the sink?

I'm thinking I may want a taller faucet spout for my (just ordered) 21NE --perhaps a spout like these:
Attached Thumbnails
71yUEZNLM4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg   71gHeTTfdfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 06:00 PM   #3

Still need to mount the faucet and hookup the drains, but............

What a huge sawdust mess...I put up plastic sheeting to block off the bed area. Glad I did that

Huge improvement in usable sink space and looks. (to me )

Pic makes the new sink look a bit wonky - but it is not..............
Attached Thumbnails
Old v new.jpg   new with board.jpg  
Old 12-18-2023, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post

Is your existing faucet the one provided by ETI? If so, would you mind measuring the height from the bottom of the sprayer to the top of the sink?

I'm thinking I may want a taller faucet spout for my (just ordered) 21NE --perhaps a spout like these:
Yes, that is the ETI faucet. I'll get the height measurement after I reinstall, and maybe a better pic of the faucet. They stock faucet is pretty nice.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Yes, that is the ETI faucet. I'll get the height measurement after I reinstall, and maybe a better pic of the faucet. They stock faucet is pretty nice.
Thats a good looking mod.... I'm going to do that too...
Old 12-19-2023, 09:44 PM   #6

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
How did you get a jig saw to cut a line so close to the "stripper pole" ??
Old 12-19-2023, 10:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
Note the cutout is 1" inset from the edge of the sink flange.

Tip: If you don't want to temporarily remove the pole, clamp a sacrificial piece of wood that lifts the shoe of the saw above the pole flange and saw through that along with the countertop.

Most jig saws, and even my straighter / cleaner cutting 3-1/2" circular saw, will 'clear' the pole that way.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2022 21 C owner :-D/ '24 RAM 1500 Limited
I'm very interested to see how you attach the drain pipe under the sink. Our 21C has a <somewhat> similar sink, but the drain pipe is not perfectly sealed. I hope to learn why it leaks, and <hopefully> can learn how to seal it properly.
mresseguie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
I had to use a handsaw for about 8" of the cut by the pole.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
I'm very interested to see how you attach the drain pipe under the sink. Our 21C has a <somewhat> similar sink, but the drain pipe is not perfectly sealed. I hope to learn why it leaks, and <hopefully> can learn how to seal it properly.
I'm going to experiment by moving the Hepvo to be directly connected to the sink drain, (no tailpipe) with it horizontally pointed toward the outboard wall, then using some flexible tubing / hose to run to the outboard wall then along the left side ( by the trailer door) of the cabinet to the drain drop rubber coupling at the front left cabinet corner, just above the floor level.

I'm trying to maximize storage space under the new sink. Numerous "Van Life" type builds use flexible tubing/hose for sinks drains. Takes the rigidity out of the equation and gives leeway in fitting all the pieces together. I'll give it a try

Where is your sink / drain leaking? At the sink drain or pipe connections?
Old 12-20-2023, 09:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Note the cutout is 1" inset from the edge of the sink flange.

Tip: If you don't want to temporarily remove the pole, clamp a sacrificial piece of wood that lifts the shoe of the saw above the pole flange and saw through that along with the countertop.

Most jig saws, and even my straighter / cleaner cutting 3-1/2" circular saw, will 'clear' the pole that way.

The cutout for this one was 1/2" inset from the edge due to the clip anchor design.

A small circular saw would have been nice!
Old 12-20-2023, 10:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
I'm going to experiment by moving the Hepvo to be directly connected to the sink drain, (no tailpipe) with it horizontally pointed toward the outboard wall, then using some flexible tubing / hose to run to the outboard wall then along the left side ( by the trailer door) of the cabinet to the drain drop rubber coupling at the front left cabinet corner, just above the floor level.

I'm trying to maximize storage space under the new sink. Numerous "Van Life" type builds use flexible tubing/hose for sinks drains. Takes the rigidity out of the equation and gives leeway in fitting all the pieces together. I'll give it a try

Where is your sink / drain leaking? At the sink drain or pipe connections?
As far as I can tell, the leak is coming from the section where the sink drain (as pictured in your original post above) inserts into the elbow joint below the sink. There's no coupling sleeve to seal the sink drain to the rest of the pipes below the sink.

I've thought about buying a large silicon (or rubber?) O-ring to act as a gasket, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
As far as I can tell, the leak is coming from the section where the sink drain (as pictured in your original post above) inserts into the elbow joint below the sink. There's no coupling sleeve to seal the sink drain to the rest of the pipes below the sink.

I've thought about buying a large silicon (or rubber?) O-ring to act as a gasket, but I haven't tried it yet.
This might not be your issue but we had a slow leak at the sink-drain interface and it was hard to diagnose. I needed to remove the drain housing and reseal to the sink bottom with plumber's putty. All good after that.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This might not be your issue but we had a slow leak at the sink-drain interface and it was hard to diagnose. I needed to remove the drain housing and reseal to the sink bottom with plumber's putty. All good after that.
Oooh! Light bulbs flashed and lit up the darker recesses of my brain while watching this video. I'm reminded that the drain/sink bottom interface is loose and that is where the leakage is rather than lower down. I see my purchasing plumber's putty and proper gaskets + the strainer nut that were discussed in the video in my very near future.

Should our paths ever cross, remind me I owe you a beer (or other beverage of your choosing)!
Old 12-22-2023, 02:35 PM   #15

Interesting strainer tidbit

The OEM stainless sink ETI installed had no plumber's putty around the top rim of the sink, just a rubber / or ? gasket. No leaks.

There was no gasket on the bottom of the sink rim either.........

Believe mresseguie may have a Houzer sink (guessing) though I am not sure how those strainers are supposed to be installed.

Seems to be a strainer specific approach these days with putty versus gaskets, with a move away from putty. Silicone appears to be suggested over putty as well when no gasket is supplied.

Related info:

https://www.mrkitchenfaucets.com/sho...-a-sink-drain/
Old 12-22-2023, 05:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post

Right at 14" to the top of the faucet arc and 7" to the bottom of the spigot
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1200.jpg  
Old 12-22-2023, 06:15 PM   #17

Done!

I did notch out the faucet flange area of the countertop a bit to allow me to install the faucet in the sink, then drop the sink in - much easier approach. I also left the drain line "conventional" for now as there was really not enough gain in usable space / function to experiment with a flexible line approach.

The pull down shade "just" rests on the faucet top when down, it could have been a bit more interference if I had pushed the sink all the way against the outboard wall as originally planned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Final old.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	72162

Name:	IMG_1201.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	72167

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	72168
Old 12-22-2023, 06:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
that looks great!
Old 12-22-2023, 06:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
that looks great!
Thanks!

The new sink, the bed foam topper and the QuickZip sheets are game changers..........
Old 01-01-2024, 03:35 PM   #20

And yes, I rotated the faucet to the correct orientation!