Gas stove vs induction burners - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2023, 07:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Purchasing the 5.0
Gas stove vs induction burners

Hi
My husband and I are planning our build for a 5.0 and we are considering an induction cook top vs the propane gas cooktop. We are not planning on getting the oven. I am looking for thoughts, pros and con’s.
Thanks
Toddna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddna View Post
Hi
My husband and I are planning our build for a 5.0 and we are considering an induction cook top vs the propane gas cooktop. We are not planning on getting the oven. I am looking for thoughts, pros and con’s.
Thanks
We often use a portable single induction burner hotplate when hooked up. With the induction burner set to 1500 or even 1200 watts, if our water heater is also on electricity and we are simultaneously using other appliances such as a toaster or an electric tea pot or a cube cabin heater, it's easy to draw too much current and the system shuts down leaving us with battery power only and no battery charging.

If you go with an induction cooktop you'll be having to spend lots of time load shedding electrical appliances you normally use just to keep the induction stove on. In my humble opinion induction cooktops realistically will require an entire system upgrade to a heavier trailer electrical system.
John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:32 AM   #3

Trailer: Purchasing the 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
We often use a portable single induction burner hotplate when hooked up. With the induction burner set to 1500 or even 1200 watts, if our water heater is also on electricity and we are simultaneously using other appliances such as a toaster or an electric tea pot or a cube cabin heater, it's easy to draw too much current and the system shuts down leaving us with battery power only and no battery charging.

If you go with an induction cooktop you'll be having to spend lots of time load shedding electrical appliances you normally use just to keep the induction stove on. In my humble opinion induction cooktops realistically will require an entire system upgrade to a heavier trailer electrical system.
John
Thanks so much this is very helpful
Toddna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Our little 15A is all electric including a built in single "burner" induction cook top I installed. We love it. No CO, easy to clean, etc. But, just like all electric appliances, you will need to supply the proper voltage & current: Easy when connected to shore power but more complex & $$$ if you are not going to be connected to shore power (i.e., "boon docking/dry camping").

Although we consider ourselves "foodies", we don't like splatters and mess in our little trailer. So, for preparing anything seared, fried, etc., I use a compact single pan butane/propane burner for searing steaks, fish, etc., outside. We also have a portable single induction burner/element, but a vast majority of our camping is out in the middle of nowhere so the little butane/propane burner gets used when we need to cook something outside (conserves battery capacity).
Old 11-02-2023, 09:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We replaced our 20 year old DCS gas range with a new AGA 5 burner induction range some months back.

The cooking experience in our home has changed dramatically. Better temp control, much easier cleanup and no more products of incomplete combustion (bad air) all combine to make this the best kitchen appliance purchase we have ever made.

I would like to see a trailer manufacturer build something with induction cooking designed in from the ground up.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Most folks I know are rarely plugged into the grid as camping is getting away from it, so unless you had a real good solar and battery combo, how would you cook when off the grid?

We are on the grid some, but less than 20% of the time overall. Some of the sites we had to don't even have power within many kilometers.

We love our 36" induction range at home though this is new to us only a year old now. If it could be made reasonably priced and very effective to use in the trailer while off the grid I would consider it.

I do like the idea of some bringing a portable induction stove along.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We have a propane three burner in our trailer but rarely use it. We carry a commercial grade induction single burner. We also have an outdoor two burner low pressure stove as well as a butane single burner made in Japan. I’d say a single induction burner with a backup butane single is a viable way to go when you have no shore power. I don’t know any fiberglas trailers with 50 amp service but going with all electric camper I’d be tempted . It’s not that hard to retro fit with a new panel and input cord or have the manufacturer install at time of construction
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I do like the idea of some bringing a portable induction stove along.
I'm with you there. But I guess we have to remember that a lot of folks, maybe more back East, don't have the opportunities to boondock like we do and spend a much higher amount of time on shore power. Personally I'd never get myself into a situation where I needed a large amount of lithium and solar to run one. I like a simpler life.

As much as I've liked cooking on an induction stove from time-to-time I have to say that propane meets all our needs. While I read about induction cooking on the forum when using the propane stove in the trailer it's never crossed my mind that I need anything else.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We carry a portable induction burner that I use instead of the propane stove any time we have hookups. Most of the time I plug it in and use it outside to keep mess and smells out of the trailer. It works so much faster than the propane stove and I don’t get overheated like I do when cooking on the propane stove inside. It really is a win win situation.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 06:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 E19
I have only ever heard of multi-element induction cooktops being OEM installed in large Class A RV's that feature 50A shore power, a large on-board generator (8KW range), and/or an obscene amount of solar and battery capacity.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We just carry a cheap hot plate for the times we have shore power.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
We carry and frequently use a Nuwave Flex Precision Induction Cooktop whenever we're connected to shore power. Because it has selectable heat settings (600, 900 & 1300 Watts) we can use it even with other AC power draws like space heaters. https://a.co/d/6zha7Af
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 10:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 21C
we did not have the propane cooktop or stove installed during our build and now have a wonderful spacious kitchen countertop in our 21C - we keep both a small portable induction cooktop and a small portable propane cooktop in our cabinet and take one or the other out when needed. We LOVE induction cooking - and have never had the problem mentioned above but really never use other electrical appliances at the same time (after all, we are camping!) Having had only induction cooking in our home for 45 odd years we are used to the occasional blip LOL!!! P.S. we use a Breville countertop oven and built a pull out shelf in the space the built-in oven would have been.
RonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 10:26 AM   #14

Trailer: 2022 T@B400
If you are planning on towing with an electric vehicle I wouldn’t hesitate to go induction as the vehicle will have at least a 120 kWh battery if not bigger.

If not I would go propane.
Downsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 10:40 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
My 2019 E19 had three burner stove top with oven. Got tired of loose screws and not using the oven much. Removed it, put in a new countertop, and installed a convection oven/microwave. Will use a portable induction for stove top. I tested the portable induction plate to see what kind of electrical demand I had on my 270amp lithium battery. I cooked frozen hash browns for 10 minutes, and it took 8% of my battery. I can live with that. No more loose screws from gas stove top, or oven door flying off, lol. I posted pics of my mod in the Escape Owners Facebook site.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Lots of good advice given here. The 'best' choice depends on your camping style. An induction cooktop requires 120VAC, which you don't have when boondocking or stopping in a rest area for lunch. You could opt for the inverter option which will run the induction cooktop for a while, but will drain your batteries. Not a problem for a lunch stop, but a big problem if boondocking for several days. Some have suggested a portable induction cooktop for use when shore power is available, and the propane stove when shore power is not available. This is what I have and it works well for me.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2023 5.0
I will echo some of the other thoughts on this thread. We have a new 5.0 after camping in our beloved 17 for the last 5 years. Never used the indoor stove for anything beyond boiling water in inclement weather. I don’t want a greasy trailer. We’re not boondockers so I now run an extra cord from the 20A plug on the stand to cook with an induction hot plate. It’s brilliant (serious foodie here) but still keep a portable propane stove on board in case I need to stand ankle deep in rainwater to cook a proper meal.
Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 10:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW View Post
we did not have the propane cooktop or stove installed during our build and now have a wonderful spacious kitchen countertop in our 21C - we keep both a small portable induction cooktop and a small portable propane cooktop in our cabinet and take one or the other out when needed.
Great idea- so no matter what you've got coffee at least in the AM!

We have a dual induction cooktop in our van conversion powered by a GZ 3000X that has a 2KW pure sine wave inverter. The induction cooktop does impact the 280 AH battery and cannot run both burners over level 5 together. It is nice for the van & if we ever do a new countertop will seriously consider your option in our 21C- which has the largest countertop of any Escape trailer, btw.
Old 11-10-2023, 07:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We use Our Dickinson Caribbean range inside a quite a lot. Bad weather, dark night, etc. The performance is fantastic so why not. Not often, but sometimes when baking using the broiler is a nice finish on some dishes. Putting water on for coffee is the first thing I do when I get up, and that is usually quite early. I go outside to do so if there is sunshine, otherwise put a pot on the stove inside. Using the range hood ensures all moisture and odor from cooking is draw outside.

Still, we do more cooking outside on the Ranger II stove or Dickinson Spitfire BBQ more. I love being outside cooking as being outside is the main reason we head out with the trailer anyway. As well, the odd time the added heat of cooking inside is not desirable, tough most often up here not an issue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote