Has anyone installed a Stromberg Carlson Rack? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2024, 03:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape E-19 - Dual Solar, Dual Lithium
Has anyone installed a Stromberg Carlson Rack?

Just took delivery on an E19 and looking and various mods. One item we are looking at is a duel fuel generator and I have seen setups (not on Escapes) with a Stromberg Carlson rack above the propane tanks. Has anyone one done this?
Beekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I have seen them on Casitas. I would be concerned about adding that much weight to the tongue. The 19 has a max tongue weight of 305 lbs. It is a lot longer arm from the front axle to end of the tongue this adds all that weight from that part of the trailer. Check inside your cargo box they usually placard the available weight that you can carry in there. That amount would be for your cargo, the rack and the generator. I keep mine in the vehicle and secure it with a cable and padlock when in use. I hope this helps.

Ken in Az
Drives1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
19 max tongue weight of 305lbs? That must be some 19 other than my gen 2. 5000lbs max and 10-15% could put you at 750lbs. I travel at 4600-4700lbs and a tongue weight of 540-565lbs.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I was surprised

My 2016 E19 came in somewhere above 500 lbs tongue weight as measured at the Mississippi River Rendezvous. I was not overloaded or heavily loaded at the time, and mostly a stock trailer configuration.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I was told just a few days ago from the factory that it was 305lbs. I hope that is incorrect I have some more weight I would like to put up there. I hope someone can solve this quickly. Sorry about that.
Ken in Az
Drives1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:59 PM   #6

305 lbs is about 6% of the 5000lbs my trailer is rated for. It is recommended to have 10-15% tongue weight for balance and sway prevention. I’d be nervous to tow my 19 with less than 500lbs tongue weight.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:04 PM   #7

I just checked, the 2024 E19 is listed as 3150lbs base weight, and 4400 max. So tongue weight for that should be a minimum 315llbs for a completely empty E19 to 660lbs max.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19
The front support for the S-C rack runs between the propane tanks/cover and the tongue jack. I have zero room there on a 2022 E19 with an electric jack and the front storage box. That could be modified though......

And, my tongue weight runs around #550+, ready to camp, though with empty water/ waste tanks.

I've been thinking about a rear rack (had for years) with a small gen and an extra propane tank which altogether would fall under the #150 limit for the rear receiver.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Pending
Glad to meet a new E19 owner. I'm in the process of becoming one myself, and have some questions that will help me with the design process.

My first questions involve rooftop solar. ETI offers to install two 200W solar panels on the roof. I think these occupy the same area as the previous 170W and 190W panels. If you know anything about how these panels are mounted on an Escape 19, please tell me: - the dimensions of these panels - the Amp rating of the panels and wire gauge size connecting the panels (AWG 12 or 10?) - the free space distance between the front panel and the MaxAir fan - the free space distance between the back of the MaxAir and the front of the AC - the free space distance between back of the AC and the front of the rear panel

The second questions involve the storage lockers under the front dinette.

If the dinette is a Standard dinette on a E19,

- What are the interior dimensions (L x W x H) of the DS and PS dinette lockers?
- What equipment (voltage control & distribution panel, EMS and surge protection, battery, solar controller, inverter, shunt, battery monitor, DC-DC protection) does ETI install in each of the DS and PS dinette lockers?

If the dinette is a U-shaped dinette on a E19,

- What are the interior dimensions (L x W x H) of the DS, PS and center dinette lockers?

- What equipment (voltage control & distribution, EMS and surge protection, battery, solar controller, inverter, shunt, battery monitor, DC-DC protection) does ETI install in each of the DS, PS and center dinette lockers?

Photos would be appreciate.

Our third question has to do with preventing mold in a tightly sealed fiberglass trailer like an Escape. I’m wondering if painting all bare exposed wood in the trailer upon delivery with an outdoor grade gloss washable paint would prevent the wood from absorbing moisture. Any ideas?

With answers to these questions, I’m sure I will be able to design the very best E19 to suit my needs. Once we take delivery and do a shake-down of our new E19, I’ll be happy to share what we will have finally built and how it’s working out for us. Thanks to everyone for your interest and time. All the best.

John-in-Texas
john-in-texas@use.startmail.com
John-in-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-in-Texas View Post
Our third question has to do with preventing mold in a tightly sealed fiberglass trailer like an Escape. I’m wondering if painting all bare exposed wood in the trailer upon delivery with an outdoor grade gloss washable paint would prevent the wood from absorbing moisture. Any ideas?
On this topic I'll offer for your consideration:

IMO there's much, much more than just the accessible-for-painting un-sealed wood that can, and more readily does, attract and hold moisture vapor if your trailer lives in a frequently humid environment (like mine does East of Austin, probably not too different from Hideaway in that respect) and the moisture generated by activities of occupancy. All of the upholstery fabrics and open-cell cushion / mattress foams, for example, not to mention textiles you may keep in your trailer as I do.

Methinks that if mold or moisture is a concern, one's efforts are best directed to humidity management via any of the many passive and/or active methods discussed on this forum (site search is your friend).

Having said that, I've not experienced any mold or moisture related issues inside my trailer.

YMMV.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:20 PM   #11

I’ve sealed wood to protect it from moisture, but not just to prevent mold. Condensation in small places is a given with the right conditions. You will need air circulation and ventilation.

I think, at least there used to be, dimensions on ETI’s site.

As far as what’s in the dinette benches, that has changed over time and depends on your option choices. Your best info would come by working with your sales person at ETI.

My solar is 12ga wire with a single 190 rear panel on 4 brackets bolted to the trailer by ETI. I can’t comment on the front panel since I don’t have one. As far as roof measurements, I’m not able to make those now. The AC unit chosen, and possibly having a fridge vent or not could affect those measurements.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 2023 Escape E-19 - Dual Solar, Dual Lithium
Our new E-19 is currently at a storage facility while I prep a parking spot at home (once the rain stops, if ever). Maiden voyage is next week to a close by state park for a shake down and getting to know you trip. We bought the unit from in-stock options on the black Friday sale and got a good deal. We have the dual solar panels but they would not add the EMS system so I am adding that myself. We plan to carry our Surly Touring bikes on the back hitch which would max out the rear load at 32 lbs. each plus the rack. I did see one of the mods was moving the spare tire to the front under the tongue, which I think is a 70lb load. That was in a video with Karl and there was no caution about overloading the frontend. I did check the load sticker in our front storage box and it says 100 lbs. MAX. Curious if anyone has moved the spare. Also we tow with an Explorer so carrying the generator in the tow vehicle is not really an option.
Beekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeepers View Post
.... Curious if anyone has moved the spare. ...
Perhaps of interest ....

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...gue-19484.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post292144
Old 04-17-2024, 11:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 2019 19’
Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeepers View Post
Just took delivery on an E19 and looking and various mods. One item we are looking at is a duel fuel generator and I have seen setups (not on Escapes) with a Stromberg Carlson rack above the propane tanks. Has anyone one done this?
I installed the Stromberg rack (see pic) and use it for my Champion dual fuel 2800 generator. It takes some ingenuity to mount the Stromberg brackets but it works just dandy. Trying to send a pic. You may need to modify the regulator gas hose to reach tanks on the front.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5138a.jpg  
Ksambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 19’
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksambor View Post
I installed the Stromberg rack (see pic) and use it for my Champion dual fuel 2800 generator. It takes some ingenuity to mount the Stromberg brackets but it works just dandy. Trying to send a pic. You may need to modify the regulator gas hose to reach tanks on the front.
Yes and it gets really tight and hard to get a hard tank cover off n on.
Ksambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksambor View Post
No front storage box opens up a lot of room for that.....nice!
Old 04-17-2024, 12:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes. We installed a Stromberg on our E19 and mount the generator to it. We’ve checked the tongue weight at our local scale and was fine. We have a 50lb Honda 2200 on it.
Smeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drives1937 View Post
I was told just a few days ago from the factory that it was 305lbs. I hope that is incorrect I have some more weight I would like to put up there. I hope someone can solve this quickly. Sorry about that.
Ken in Az
Any updates on this?

Maybe items on the tongue area (storage box, propane tanks, batteries in box, jack, etc.) should not exceed such?

Related - I have twin 100 amp HUB LiFo batts (#22 each) in the front ETI storage box and the weight sticker on the storage box inner lid states #50 max...appears folks with batts inside the trailer have that sticker states something much higher?

So, twin full #20 propane tanks = around #75, #45 of batts, storage box weight of #50?, electric jack weight...etc....maybe?
Old 04-17-2024, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeston View Post
Yes. We installed a Stromberg on our E19 and mount the generator to it. We’ve checked the tongue weight at our local scale and was fine. We have a 50lb Honda 2200 on it.

Do you have the front ETI storage box? Electric Jack?

Pics of install?

Thanks.............
Old 04-17-2024, 01:23 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21NE 2022 "The Double B"
Hi - nice configuration! What is the noise level like when you're inside the trailer and running the generator? Also, do you get any vibration when inside?
PeggyB is offline   Reply With Quote