Lagun table in E19 without U-shaped dinette - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2023, 04:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Lagun table in E19 without U-shaped dinette

I decided to change from the standard table setup to a Lagun table in our new 2023 E19 that we bought without U-shaped dinette.

This involves building a new wall for the Lagun table mount. I opted to build this from 3/4" maple plywood.

I removed the front maple-colored large piece of trim that is attached to the front of the trailer, between the benches. This creates a "cable tunnel" between the two benches. I also removed the piece of wood screwed into the floor that served as a place to fasten that large piece of trim, since this would be in the way for the wall.

I also had to remove the trim pieces near the floor on both benches, as well as the wood slats that the bed rests on, and that is mounted to the side of the benches, up near the top.

Once those were removed, I cut a piece of the maple plywood to fit in between the two benches. I made it tall enough that with a "lid" of 3/4" plywood, it would be flush with the slats that the table rests on in bed mode, so that the space could still be used as a bed when needed.

The vertical wall is attached to the floor with seven L-brackets, and sits as far back as possible without covering any of the power outlets or electrical equipment. In this position, a few more L-brackets can be screwed through the sides of the benches and into the bench framing, and all L-brackets will be hidden behind the wall.

I then put back the slats that the table rests on when in bed-mode. I had to cut these to now fit tight against the wall, and screwed them back into the bench framing as it was previously mounted.

If you think about the vertical wall that the Lagun table is mounted to, it will tend to pivot "backwards" into the trailer near the top, and "forward", towards the front wall of the trailer near the bottom. The way I cut the slats, the top of the wall is sitting up against the slats, so in addition to the L-brackets, the entire slat (which is screwed into the bench framing) holds the wall in place in the critical direction -- and this is why I added as many as seven brackets into the floor.

I also put some left-over pieces of wood behind the vertical wall, against the sides of the benches, again screwed into the framing. This now acts as support for the "lid" (see below).

After this, the vertical wall is fully in place, and strong enough for use. However, the 3/4" thick plywood still flexes when I pulled hard on the Lagun system (simulating someone leaning on the table, or even just the weight of the table).

The top of the box is therefore also built out of strong 3/4" maple plywood, that is screwed into the vertical wall with 2" screws, as well as in to the top of the slats extending in behind the wall. This way, this lid sits in a position where the table now rests on it when in bed mode, and the lid acts as a super strong reinforcement of the vertical wall, so with this screwed in place, there is no longer any flex in the wall.

If I ever want to get into the "box" for accessing the cables or anything else, I'll have to unscrew the lid. Maybe I'll add a little door or something at some point, if I can figure out where to do that without compromising strength.

After all this, I added the trim back on the sides of the benches down by the floor, and added another piece of trim at the bottom near the floor on the new vertical wall too, in order to make it look the same.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7140_.jpg   IMG_7161_.jpg   IMG_7173_.jpg   IMG_7165_.jpg  
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well done, and certainly stronger than the factory installation.

Nice to see someones doing mods.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I decided to change from the standard table setup to a Lagun table in our new 2023 E19 that we bought without U-shaped dinette.

This involves building a new wall for the Lagun table mount. I opted to build this from 3/4" maple plywood.

I removed the front maple-colored large piece of trim that is attached to the front of the trailer, between the benches. This creates a "cable tunnel" between the two benches. I also removed the piece of wood screwed into the floor that served as a place to fasten that large piece of trim, since this would be in the way for the wall.

I also had to remove the trim pieces near the floor on both benches, as well as the wood slats that the bed rests on, and that is mounted to the side of the benches, up near the top.

Once those were removed, I cut a piece of the maple plywood to fit in between the two benches. I made it tall enough that with a "lid" of 3/4" plywood, it would be flush with the slats that the table rests on in bed mode, so that the space could still be used as a bed when needed.

The vertical wall is attached to the floor with seven L-brackets, and sits as far back as possible without covering any of the power outlets or electrical equipment. In this position, a few more L-brackets can be screwed through the sides of the benches and into the bench framing, and all L-brackets will be hidden behind the wall.

I then put back the slats that the table rests on when in bed-mode. I had to cut these to now fit tight against the wall, and screwed them back into the bench framing as it was previously mounted.

If you think about the vertical wall that the Lagun table is mounted to, it will tend to pivot "backwards" into the trailer near the top, and "forward", towards the front wall of the trailer near the bottom. The way I cut the slats, the top of the wall is sitting up against the slats, so in addition to the L-brackets, the entire slat (which is screwed into the bench framing) holds the wall in place in the critical direction -- and this is why I added as many as seven brackets into the floor.

I also put some left-over pieces of wood behind the vertical wall, against the sides of the benches, again screwed into the framing. This now acts as support for the "lid" (see below).

After this, the vertical wall is fully in place, and strong enough for use. However, the 3/4" thick plywood still flexes when I pulled hard on the Lagun system (simulating someone leaning on the table, or even just the weight of the table).

The top of the box is therefore also built out of strong 3/4" maple plywood, that is screwed into the vertical wall with 2" screws, as well as in to the top of the slats extending in behind the wall. This way, this lid sits in a position where the table now rests on it when in bed mode, and the lid acts as a super strong reinforcement of the vertical wall, so with this screwed in place, there is no longer any flex in the wall.

If I ever want to get into the "box" for accessing the cables or anything else, I'll have to unscrew the lid. Maybe I'll add a little door or something at some point, if I can figure out where to do that without compromising strength.

After all this, I added the trim back on the sides of the benches down by the floor, and added another piece of trim at the bottom near the floor on the new vertical wall too, in order to make it look the same.
Nice job on your install. It looks great. I have been thinking about doing something similar with our 19. Is the top of your frame out on a hinge to access the dead space?

i

i
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
If you mean the lid of the box, no, it isn’t hinged. I decided to screw it into the vertical wall to gain stiffness, since the vertical wall otherwise flexes. If I were to put hinges there, which I considered, then I’d attach an aluminum U-profile horizontally near the top of the vertical wall, to get more stiffness across the entire side to side to span.

I was considering doubling two layers of 3/4” plywood for the vertical wall to gain stiffness, but then the stock mounting bolts for the table mount are too short, there’s very little room to mount into the floor, and it’s challenging to move the wall far enough into the trailer to be able to screw into the existing framing inside the benches.
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote