Lagun table mount modification - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 08:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 - 19F1
Lagun table mount modification

I've had my E19 less than a year, but I could never figure out the usefulness of the Lagun table mount. It was well-made, with attractive, quality aluminum parts, but I couldn't get it to be, like, actually useful, and convenient. The only aspect that was beneficial was that it didn't have any floor support - no post or feet. And maybe the rotation of the table top. Beyond that, I didn't like the way it swung from side to side, always seemed to be in the way, and you couldn't make it go where you needed it to be. So - this is what I came up with, using the KISS principle. Get rid of the swing arm, and just use the rotating feature of the mounting post. The dinette area doesn't have the room for the table to swing in a 2 ft. diameter circle! It just needs to rotate about the support post. I also wanted to be able to slide the table top backwards and forwards. So I got rid of the rotating horizontal arm, and the stationary mount attached to the underside of the table, kept the post mount fastened to the dinette cabinet wall, and made my own mount under the table that allows rotation and sliding, like a drawer. See the pictures - the table goes back and forth, rotates, and allow access to each side. Note the slides mounted on the bottom of the table - these are all-hardwood slides from Rockler Woodworking that I had from another cabinet build. The large block of wood that mounts on the Lagun post is a 2" thick piece of red oak, with a 1" hole drilled in it with a forsner bit to make a smooth accurate hole. The plastic post is actually 25 mm, so I used an aluminum beer can to shim out the hole, and provide a smooth surface for rotation on the plastic post. It's actually less wiggly than the other mounting system, since it doesn't have the horizontal support arm - it just sits directly on the support post. When I'm traveling, I currently use a clamp to hold the table so it doesn't slide off - I'll find something else to make this a little more practical in the future. It's camping season now, so it may have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0611.jpg   IMG_0612.jpg   IMG_0613.jpg   IMG_0616.jpg   IMG_0617.jpg  

IMG_0619.jpg   IMG_0621.jpg   IMG_0624.jpg  
Old 03-21-2024, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer View Post
I've had my E19 less than a year, but I could never figure out the usefulness of the Lagun table mount. It was well-made, with attractive, quality aluminum parts, but I couldn't get it to be, like, actually useful, and convenient. The only aspect that was beneficial was that it didn't have any floor support - no post or feet. And maybe the rotation of the table top. Beyond that, I didn't like the way it swung from side to side, always seemed to be in the way, and you couldn't make it go where you needed it to be. So - this is what I came up with, using the KISS principle. Get rid of the swing arm, and just use the rotating feature of the mounting post. The dinette area doesn't have the room for the table to swing in a 2 ft. diameter circle! It just needs to rotate about the support post. I also wanted to be able to slide the table top backwards and forwards. So I got rid of the rotating horizontal arm, and the stationary mount attached to the underside of the table, kept the post mount fastened to the dinette cabinet wall, and made my own mount under the table that allows rotation and sliding, like a drawer. See the pictures - the table goes back and forth, rotates, and allow access to each side. Note the slides mounted on the bottom of the table - these are all-hardwood slides from Rockler Woodworking that I had from another cabinet build. The large block of wood that mounts on the Lagun post is a 2" thick piece of red oak, with a 1" hole drilled in it with a forsner bit to make a smooth accurate hole. The plastic post is actually 25 mm, so I used an aluminum beer can to shim out the hole, and provide a smooth surface for rotation on the plastic post. It's actually less wiggly than the other mounting system, since it doesn't have the horizontal support arm - it just sits directly on the support post. When I'm traveling, I currently use a clamp to hold the table so it doesn't slide off - I'll find something else to make this a little more practical in the future. It's camping season now, so it may have to wait.
Clever modification. I like it! May go for it myself.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I intend to switch to a Lagun table mount this spring but if we find it problematic we may consider this option. Thanks for this idea.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:37 AM   #4

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I intend to switch to a Lagun table mount this spring but if we find it problematic we may consider this option. Thanks for this idea.
I've always thought it was a problem. I just wasn't clever enough to figure out what to do about it.

The author makes two points:
1. "The dinette area doesn't have the room for the table to swing in a 2 ft. diameter circle!"
2. The horizontal support arm is an engineering-structural problem. 'Homebrewer' has designed an elegant solution which focuses not only on a more robust support system but with the maneuverability of the table itself.

If I wasn't taking off for Texas on April 2, I'd make the change.
Closed Thread