MQTT charger requirements for LiFePO4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2024, 06:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
MQTT charger requirements for LiFePO4

Briefly: What MQTT charger profile is needed to charge a LiFePO4 battery?

I bought an LiTime (AKA: Ampere Time) 12V 100Ah battery on a black Friday sale and replaced my failing dual 6V AGM batteries.

A few years ago I did a solar install an intentionally bought the EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller 30A because it is listed at Lithium compatible. This same Chinese unit is sold by Renogy and lots of other brand names. I researched the configuration options and the float is set for 13.6V. (Full list of option at the end of this post.)

After plopping in the new LiTime battery and hooking up my external 100W solar panel for a week, the battery was still at just 12.8V. A couple days out being charged from the tow vehicle and 180W of solar on the roof in the desert sun, and still only 12.8V.

LiTime support claims that the MQTT controller I have isn't up to the job, and and course suggests their unit. I find this a bit suspect and don't understand the explanation. I also like the remote display on the controller I have and don't want to remove it and leave a hole in my cabinet!

Here's what LiTime says:

Quote:
Regarding the controll you are using, we have checked the manual and found that it was not compatible for the LiFePO4 battery charging.
( The charging voltage cannot be set at 14.2V and above; if it is set at 14.2-14.6V according to the instruction manual, the BMS cuts off at about 14.02V during the absorption stage of charging, and it is necessary to set the charging voltage at 14V in order to continue charging with the tail current 6A.) Then the battery will always met the charging cut off issues.

We would recommend another solar charge controller with the lithium mode : absorption voltage within 14.4-14.6V.
If you do not mind, you could try LiTime 12/24V 30A solar charge controller MPPT.
Are they feeding my a line, or do I need to replace my charge controller?

Here are my MPPT Solar Charge Controller settings:

Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 14.8
Over Voltage Reconnected Voltage: 14.2
Charging Limit Voltage: 14.4
Equalize Charging Voltage: 14.4
Boost Charging Voltage: 14.4
Float Charging Voltage: 13.6 (resting level)
Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage: 13.3
Low Voltage Reconnect: 12.4
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect: 12.4
Under Voltage Warning: 12.0
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 11.6
Discharging Limit Voltage: 11.2
Equalize Duration: 0
Boost Duration: 30
Temperature Compensation Coefficient: 0
Low temp cut-off: 5 C

Here's what LiTime support recommended, before claiming that my charge controller isn't up to the task:

Charging Limit Voltage: 14.6V
Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage:15V
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage:14.2V
Equalizer Charging Voltage:14V
Float Charging Voltage:13.8V
Boost Charging Voltage:14.4V
Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage:13.2V
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage:10.8V
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage:12.4V
Under Voltage Warning Voltage:11.6V
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage:12V
Discharging Limit Voltage:10.4V
Over Discharge Disconnect Voltage:10.4V
Over Discharge Reconnect Voltage:11.6V
Over-Discharge Delay Time:0.8S
Equalize Duration:120MINS
Boost Interval: NOT SUITABLE FOR LITHIUM BATTTERIES
Boost Duration:120MINS
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 17b
Have you made any further progress on this? I've just ordered two LiTime mini 100Ah batteries to replace my dual 6V setup, and was planning on getting a EPever charger as well. I have access to a 2210AN, so I'll put the system through it's paces on the bench before I buy this controller. I'll post back here with my results, but it may take a few weeks.
rochuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Thanks for asking. You are the first to respond. I configured to the charge settings recommended by LiTime about a week ago, and the battery is now at 13.4V, which is below the float level of 13.8V but still qualifies as 99% charged.

It's just connected to an external solar panel that gets little sun, so that may be a factor. In general, I'm perfectly happy not stressing the battery and charging to just 99%. My only concern is if it never gets a boost cycle. When I take it out from under the cover, the roof panels will give it more power.

Just realized I need to unplug the external power and confirm that the charge holds.

If you are starting new, I'd probably go with the Vicron controller everyone is recommending. It doesn't cost much more. I don't want to switch because I already have this with a wired remote display mounted to my overhead cabinet. Besides the cost of buying a new controller, removing the display leaves a hole to deal with.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote