My "Escape to Margaritaville" Alterations & Mods - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2024, 12:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19 F1
Maybe I'm too trusting. I've seen a couple of folks go to great lengths to secure their trailers - like what is described here. I have a hitch lock for when not hitched to the TV, and nothing when hitched to the TC. I use tiny master locks on the front storage (nothing big will fit) and just lock the standard dead bolt when leaving.

I of course have insurance and its low cost would seem to imply minimal theft issues.

My wife and I are new to trailer camping having been tent campers. When tent camping, we kept things like cameras, binoculars etc, in the car, bit left expensive sleeping bags and pads as well as clothes in the expensive tent. Never any issues.

Has anyone here experienced a significant theft? (Other than chairs or coolers left out.)
Dave Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Hi Dave,
Great question.

In my time here and of my readings I have to admit that I haven't come across anyone here that has had a major theft. As you spoke of an occasional missing chair or something. Par for the course / occupational hazard so to speak.

I do hope that our group of Escapees here will share any stories they may have.

The thief if determined enough will get what he/she wants no matter what. Locks are for honest folks I've always heard. But some folks here that do put security in place, say to have layers of security, don't make it easy for the thief and maybe they'll pass on to a easier mark. That's all I'm doing with mine.

Bottom line...... it's all just stuff..... Enjoy your adventure , travels, and life.

Cheers to ya......... and Happy Trails........ Jack
jack sparrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:50 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Oh, I've had theft alright!

By a masked bandit no less, a rapacious racoon busting into a $3 foam cooler and absconding with my precious vittles.
My mistake, decades ago, tent camping. Lesson learned.
Campground theft can happen, easily, with unattended items left out, but I'm guessing it's fairly infrequent. On morning walks or bike rides, I'll see $300 Yeti coolers left out overnight. I wouldn't, but they were still there.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 03:00 PM   #24

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
Cheers to ya...... and Happy Trails........ Jack
Good news, jack sparrow. Your thread is open again!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
Maybe I'm too trusting. I've seen a couple of folks go to great lengths to secure their trailers - like what is described here. I have a hitch lock for when not hitched to the TV, and nothing when hitched to the TC. I use tiny master locks on the front storage (nothing big will fit) and just lock the standard dead bolt when leaving.

I of course have insurance and its low cost would seem to imply minimal theft issues.

My wife and I are new to trailer camping having been tent campers. When tent camping, we kept things like cameras, binoculars etc, in the car, bit left expensive sleeping bags and pads as well as clothes in the expensive tent. Never any issues.

Has anyone here experienced a significant theft? (Other than chairs or coolers left out.)
I seldom in 55 years of camping have had problems. I do as you do pretty much. I’ll lock stuff, but am not going to great lengths. Most folks don’t use a hitch lock, and leave stuff sitting out. So I figure I’ll be okay. There are of course no guarantees no matter what you do. I’ve had food, clothes, and bedding swiped while tent camping, and stuff stolen from vehicles while parked. The house, when I lived in Houston, was burgled a couple of times while gone. Other than that, I’ve been fine camping.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:41 PM   #26

Great new it is YakRv, thanks again for all your digging and help .

To everyone else that I'm unaware of that help in this matter....... Thank you too.

Glad we're back and look forward to sharing more mods with you all.

The thread may have been closed, but I have not been, as I've added more changes to my 21NE.

Stay tuned... There is more to come...... I'm excited now...

Cheers to ya..... and Happy Trails...... Jack
Old 03-05-2024, 11:28 PM   #27

Shoe Storage and more....

In this alteration I divided the dinette under seat storage nearest the door. I had ETI to put a door at the end of the seat for shoe storage or whatever.

I added 3/4" ply on the backside of the front panel and a divider from the front panel to the edge of the outside hatch door. then I added two shelves, one mid way up and the one under the seat lid is about 2" down for paper, pens, manuals, ect, or whatever you'd like.

Used a few 1x2s here and there and some 1/2 square stock for trim. The 3/4" ply divider serves two purposes. One to close off and divide that compartment and two to give support to the Laguna bracket that is mounted to the other side of the outside panel in the dinning area. The 3/4" divider is mounted to 1x2s that are screwed to the floor and to the middle cross member under the seat lid. It's not going anywhere.

As always, feel fee to leave your comments. I know others have made a mod something like this too. This is just my version to share.

Cheers to ya...... and Happy Trails...... Jack

P.s. By the way... I make those plaques that are under my name here on the side. Laser engraved with a persons name and year their trailer was built.. Just a little added touch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8993.jpg   IMG_8994.jpg   IMG_8995.jpg   IMG_E8926.jpg  
Old 03-06-2024, 10:05 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Here are a few more Luguna photos of mine with the leg assembly mounted to the right bench to show it's locations of movements from that point.
This is very helpful. I got the standard bench setup, not the lounge setup. I have thought about the Lagun mounted on the side and wondered how well it would work. Someone on the forum mounted theirs on the side but back toward the corner and I wasn’t crazy about that, now I see I can mount it in the middle of the bench. What is the dimensions of your table top? How did you reinforce the mount? Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:07 PM   #29

Hi Sharon,

I will take some more pictures of the inside of the bench to better show you what I did. A picture is worth a thousand words.

If you are not in a hurry, I'll have them posted by the weekend.

Look real close to the mount and you can see the oak block that I cut out to make a spacer to bring the Luguna leg out a bit to by pass the upper rail.

I'll get those other needed photos up as soon as I can for you.

It's not hard or complicated.

Cheers to ya...... and Happy Trails..... Jack
Old 03-06-2024, 04:42 PM   #30

What I did

My previously owned E19 came with that dinette seat door. I'd had a plastic container, from an old chest freezer I believe, long and narrow that fit the opening just right enough. With some wood trim and drawer slides I mounted it in the cavity. The slide out feature is useful and access is available from either the side door or bench lid.
A couple of images.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2702.jpg   IMG_2703.jpg  
Old 03-06-2024, 09:59 PM   #31

HabberDabber that's a great idea. Makes for easy access plus the container being plastic is easy to keep clean as well.

Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

Cheers to ya....... and Happy Trails........ Jack
Old 03-06-2024, 10:21 PM   #32

Hey Carmel Clown,

My table top is 24"x35" and 3/4" plywood. Another thing I did was when I mounted the plate to the table top, I did not place it directly in the center of the length line (35" line) but it is center of the width line (24" line).

To determine where I wanted to place that plate, I cut a piece of cardboard the size of the table top and taped it to the plate then assembled it onto the Laguna leg and moved it around to different locations to test its travel and to see where and what the table would look like.

Once your happy with the plates location, transfer it to the same location on the real table top.

Will be posting more photos of the mounting plate this weekend.

Cheers to ya..... and Happy Trails....... Jack
Old 03-07-2024, 10:32 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Jack, thanks for that shoe idea. I have struggled for 5 years with that problem and have just settled on the cabinet under the refrigerator (17A). I was thinking of a net to hold them in at an angle, but will check out the possibility of a shelf.

Your slide out drawer is also intriguing. I have that door in my 17A which goes all the way to the front wall. I have a series of cloth bins connected by sturdy twist ties but it's a pita. I'll measure and see if I can find something. Even just having it on the floor and sliding it in and out would help.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:25 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post

I was thinking of a net to hold them in at an angle, but will check out the possibility of a shelf.
We find this type of shoe holder works for our lighter shoes. On the 19 it was on the door, on the 21, at the end of the counter. Boots go straight forward into the space under the bed. Since we have a sliding storage unit it forms a back wall and the heavy shoes are contained.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
rotated_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:35 PM   #35

Hi h2owmn,

I made the shelf in mine but the pull out in post #30 is from HabberDabber.
He was sharing it with us here and glad he did, cause it gives us another spin on ideas dealing with space.

There is more ideas to come and share, so stay tune....

Cheers to ya..... and Happy Trails....... Jack
Old 03-08-2024, 09:28 PM   #36

Ems install option

I installed Progressive EMS w/Display in my 21Ne. I was able to buy the unit brand new off eBay a lot cheaper than having ETI install one.

The instructions were straight forward, nothing complicating.
I have the detachable power cord on my trailer and all I did was to go under the bed and disconnect the wire from the back side of that receptacle and connect it to the out going power on the EMS. I did buy some 10/2 wire to be able to run a short piece of it from the receptacle to the power in/shore side of the EMS. I made a small mount and mounted it to the floor in the corner by the receptacle and mounted the EMS to it. I rand the display cable to the other side of the trailer by the rear hatch door and mounted it there. See photos for a visual prospective as to what I did. Photos are worth a thousand words.

Hope this is of some help. Comments are always welcome.

Cheers to ya...... and Happy Trails..... Jack
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9088.jpg   IMG_9089.jpg   IMG_E9072.jpg   IMG_E9060.jpg  
Old 03-08-2024, 09:47 PM   #37

Laguna Table Mounting

Hey Carmel Clown

Had a chance to day to get a few more pictures of the Laguna Table Leg mounting on my trailer.

These photos will allow you to see the oak block that I made as a spacer so the Luguna leg would clear the top rail of the bench.

You'll see on the back side of the panel where the bolts come through the 3/4" plywood that I added to that panel. Also to make it more rigid the wall that divides that storage area in half. It is the wall that is at the back of my shoe storage addition. That wall is mounted to the floor as well as the cross member at the top of the bench. See photos.

Hope this gives you some ideas. All comments are welcome. Enjoy!

Cheer to ya...... and Happy Trails...... Jack
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_E9086.jpg   IMG_E9075.jpg   IMG_E9074.jpg   IMG_E9080.jpg   IMG_E9079.jpg  

IMG_9077.jpg   IMG_9078.jpg   IMG_9080.jpg  
Old 03-08-2024, 10:04 PM   #38

Flipup Table

This past week I made a Flip-up table that mounts to the wall on the bathroom side of the dinette area.

The folding brackets are just like the ones that ETI uses and I bought them from Amazon. They were like $20 bucks. The Table it self is made from.... you guested it... 3/4" plywood and covered with formica (same as the rest of my counters and tables) then the edging was fastened to that to give the final touch. I made this one 10" wide x 20" long. I used blue painters tape to position a location for the table to the point that there would be no interference with the opening of my bench storage lid. And the height is 35" from the floor to the top of the table, same as the counters in the trailer.

When folded down it only sticks out from the wall by 2".
Good little add on and cheaper than what ETI would charge to add one.

Here are a few photos of the finished product. Enjoy.... All comments are welcome.

Cheers to ya.... and Happy Trails...... Jack
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_E9082.jpg   IMG_E9083.jpg   IMG_E9084.jpg  
Old 03-09-2024, 03:47 AM   #39

Quote:
I installed Progressive EMS w/Display in my 21Ne. I was able to buy the unit brand new off eBay a lot cheaper than having ETI install one.

I ran the display cable to the other side of the trailer by the rear hatch door and mounted it there. See photos
Nice work, and bargain snatching, as usual.
But why not place the display somewhere inside the trailer cabin interior? It seems like a bit of a chore to access the display info.

YMMV
Old 03-09-2024, 05:40 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Had a chance to day to get a few more pictures of the Laguna Table Leg mounting on my trailer.
Hi Jack

In photo #2 of the Lagun table: does the Lagun mount have a squarish portion that goes through the wall? I did not realize that. I thought it mounted externally on the wall.

Tags
alterations, jack, margaritaville, mods, simulators