Nova Kool R4500 compressor install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2023, 06:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Nova Kool R4500 compressor install

Nova Kool R4500 compressor install

I have put off posting this thread for long enough. Thanks to Myron for providing the spark to get this done.

Our 2014 Escape 19 came with the Dometic RM8551. For years I have worked to have it run efficiently and consistently. Most of our camping is done in the 7-10,500 foot elevation range. This is the short version leaving out several small simple steps in the removal and replacement process.

In August I added three 100 watt panels from AM Solar replacing our one 95 watt panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	71551

Then I removed the Dometic RM8551. It fits through the original door and roller screen with no modifications. The Nova Kool 4500 goes in with no modifications as well.

Name:	IMG_2297.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	71552

Next, the chimney needed to be cut back, in this case up. The Nova Kool is 3-4 inches shorter than the 8511 and I wanted the extra vertical space to be on the bottom of the fridge, not on top for the look so I needed a larger void up the chimney.

After some trial and error I had the chimney cut out (up) to allow for good ventilation of the new fridge.

I then added Reflectex to all of the walls of the cavity.

Name:	IMG_2308a.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	71559

I then added reflectex to the top, sides, and back of the new fridge.

Name:	IMG_2309a.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	71560

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	71555

Name:	IMG_2311.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	71556
I built up the floor using a spare 2x4 along with a piece of OSB I had left over. I cut the 2x4 down by about ½ inch in width (height) to allow for a better fit.

Then I put the fridge in the cubby and trimmed it out the best I could with the tools I have. To fill in the gap at the bottom I used a 3 ½ inch piece of oak with two coats of oil based polyurethane to get a better look.

Name:	IMG_2316.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	71557

Name:	IMG_2317a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	71561

(Written prior to our fall trip to NW Wyoming.) I hope to continue using our two 6 volt flooded batteries. I may have to make additional battery storage available but for our first trip to western Wyoming this coming week we will be using our two 6 volt flooded batteries. I just want to see how this will work. While this has no meaning in real life usage, our camper sitting in the drive this week (mid September) has shown 12.6 volts in the mornings with only the fridge running. I am hoping that the cool to cold weather will help keep the fridge amp draw to a minimum.

I will report on what I expect to be a large shortage of battery storage when we return from our annual Yellowstone late September/earlyOctober trip. With a couple of showers a day, furnace usage, and hot water usage, this should be an interesting trip.

(Our original two 6 volt Interstate batteries lasted 8 ½ seasons and were replaced in the summer of 2022.)

(Update) So, our 2 week plus trip was cut in half by a his and hers bout of Covid. No lasting effects though. The Gros Ventre Campground north of Jackson, Wyoming and the Madison Campground in Yellowstone were the two campgrounds we stayed in.

For the 9 nights we spent on our trip, temps ranged from 30 at night to 75 during the day, mostly in bright sunshine. Every afternoon the batteries were fully charged, every morning prior to turning on some heat our battery monitor showed 12.7 or 12.6. Of course, summer temps will be different but I was encouraged. 300 watts sure keeps two 6 volts charged.
mvassallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Thanks mvassallo, for that excellent followup on your Nova Kool upgrade. I should first mention - we think - when the Madison campground is full up the Gros Ventre campground is a great solution. Been there, done that, need to get up there and do it again.

I do agree the snarky old RM8551 trouble relates to higher elevations on propane.

Now, regarding your replacement fridge solution for that: My first concern was, would a replacement fridge fit require serious trim changes to the wood cabinet opening that looks nice. Second concern was related to the actual work of pulling it out of the cabinet and getting it out the door, and, of course, bringing in the Nova Kool. I do enjoy doing this kind of renovation work but at my age it isn’t wise to bite off more than I can chew.

No mystery now - your pictures answer both concerns.

Really like the solar solution. Have a 100watt portable solar panel, 190 watts of solar on the roof, and a BattleBorn 100watt Lithium replacing the old battery. We very much like the Nova Kool but, price, scarce availability and desire have held me back. So I bought a 38 quart electric cooler, the Vevor compressor cooler. That should hold us for a while. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Vevor1.jpg  
Old 11-12-2023, 07:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I managed to remove the Dometic and install the NovaKool by myself using my arms, knees, and legs to get them out and in. A bit of a struggle managing the 50+ pounds.

We also purchased a Vevor and used it for a couple of years prior to the NovaKool install. After our Corgi had bladder surgery for bladder stones, I started cooking her food and we needed a way to carry her frozen pre-packaged daily meals and the Vevor worked just fine for that.

We traveled with our Vevor on the floor in the "hall" of our 19 and when we arrived at our campsite we placed it under the bed with plenty of breathing space.
mvassallo is offline   Reply With Quote