Recommend new digital door lock for 2023 5.0? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2023, 01:43 PM   #1

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Recommend new digital door lock for 2023 5.0?

Had our 5.0 less than a week and the door lock is really annoying. My wife has major issues unlocking it. Crappy locks.

Can folks recommend a replacement?

I've been looking at this one....

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BD72TY4B/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 10-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Don’t give up on the key type lock to quickly.
Ours was kind of stiff at first but after a couple dozen lock / unlocks it became easier and after a few months it works smoothly.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
I love having a digital lock, no keys to carry when out hiking or roaming around the campground, less keys on the keychain. I have digital locks on my house, and workshop and this has whittled my key chain down to a very few keys, from the old days when I was working and before the digital locks.

The lock you linked to, and several others on Amazon, are, clearly, identical to the V4 RVlock.com unit. The only exception is that RVLock is now installing the Duro premium membrane keypad, and some of the other off brands are also offering that. The one you link to has a mylar film on the outside and will crack and weather if you keep the trailer outside. I bought a unit by Carmtek which is now the V.5 unit, again, identical to the RVLock V4. There are some new 10 digit locks out that claim superior key locks. The key locks on the one I have, and I suppose most of the others of this design, are so cheesy that I bet they could be picked with a paperclip.

Locks like the one you cited.
CARMTEK - RV Keyless Entry Door Lock | V5.0 RV Entry | 100% Metal Keyless RV | RV Keyless Locks with Backlit Keypad, 2 Fobs, 2 Unique Keys | Only Fit 3.75"x2.75" Lock Hole $180

RISTOW RV Keyless Entry Door Lock - Waterproof & Shockproof RV Door Lock 2 Key Fobs and Backlit Keypad 100% Metal with Install Tools for Travel Trailer Camper $108

RV Keyless Entry Door Lock Can Be Controlled Remotely The Latest Style 100% Black Metal keyless Door Lock with 2 Fob Keyless 4 Mechanical Keys Fit 3.75" x 2.75" Lock Hole $95

RV Door Lock Keyless Entry,RV Keypad Keyless Entry Door Lock,Camper Keyless Entry Door Lock Replacement,All Metal RV Keyless Entry Door Lock for Travel Trailer Camper | RV Keyless Locks Latch $106

RV Keyless Entry Door Lock, Wireless Fob Password Keypad RV Door Lock Keyless Entry, Upgraded Metal RV Lock for Home Motor/Camper/Travel Trailer Horse Cargo Bump-Pull, Fits 2.75"x3.75" Lock Hole $130 This has the better quality silicon rubber key pad from looking at the pics.

OUTPRIZE RV Lock, Full Metal RV Keyless Entry Door Lock, Keypad, Remote Fob and Key 3 Entry Options $130

OK, I give up, the more of these locks I find and copy links to, the more appear. They are the same lock, from the same factory in China, with only slight customization. From Amazon the choice is whether to buy one that ships from a third party, or ships from Amazon, and whether Amazon is the seller or the third party is the seller (some might not be free shipping) (some might ship from China, who knows).

It seems the market has narrowed somewhat. When I bought, there were several different china brands of the same lock, and I bought based on the claim of good documentation, which proved to be excellent with only one mistake.

The only other digital locks on the market that are different are the ones by Bauer, however they are quite expensive, do have bluetooth capability to use your phone rather than a fob but have buttons that are two numbers to a button 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc. which is quite annoying to learn.

I do not use the fob, it is put away, never was programmed, I walk up and press the code and enter. My wish is they would come out with locks that allowed for four or five different codes at the same time. This would prevent unusual wear on certain buttons. I do this on my Schlage house and workshop digital locks. And, decent key lock tumblers and not that nearly skeleton key crap the current locks use.

I'm going out on a limb and recommend this Carmtek 10 key lock (if it is the right hole size for you). CARMTEK - 10 Digits RV Keyless Entry Door Lock | 2022 Upgraded Locks w/ 2 Inside Latches Fobs Only Fit 3.75" x 2.75" Hole

I'm betting the manual is as good as mine was, and through enough to not leave you scratching your head, and has better looking keys (though still not great, but much better than mine), and you have a choice of more number combinations.

I'm going to post pics of my installation. These were problem areas I encountered. You Escape may be entirely different. The hole in the door frame where the striker comes thru, was way too big and the lock has a very small footprint in this area. I took the old striker plate and sawed off the top and bottom enough to fit it INSIDE the door frame and then put the lock in place and installed washers between this and the new outer striker plate, effectively clamping the plates together with the door frame sandwiched in between. It made for a tremendously solid mounting and also backed up the striker some as it protruded too far out without this added plate to back it up.

Even so, when I shut the door, I lift the latch handle and push the door to and then release it and push hard until the striker clicks in place. I never slam the door, NEVER.

Other issue for me, and Escape may be very different was interference with the front of the inside handle with the screen when you pulled it. I ended up grinding metal off the front of the handle and blacking it with a permanent marker.

Hope this helps.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Electronic door lock 1 too much hole.jpg   Electronic door lock 2 installation.jpg   Electronic door lock 3 inner handle trimmed to clear screen.jpg   Electronic door lock 4 handle ground and striker engagement.jpg  
Old 10-19-2023, 11:04 PM   #4

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Thanks for that very comprehensive answer Charles!
Old 10-26-2023, 10:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Lots of discussion about the digital locks in this thread also.............

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ock-24255.html

Charles
Old 10-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Yep, Amazon is pretty much all about China and crappy products. When I can, I order directly from the manufacturer, lots of them offer free or cheap delivery. Returning the item if needed is not as easy as with Amazon, but I'm willing to do it if I can buy American (or a country other than China).
We tried the RV lock and didn't like it. We always had to slam the door as hard as we could. I tried moving the strike plate, etc. but it didn't help. I did not try grinding any metal parts. We are back to a keyed lock on a lanyard around our necks. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
a lot of those inexpensive 'digital' locks can be opened pretty easily with a small strong magnet held in the right spot to 'trick' the control relay inside. See: the Lock Picking Lawyer on youtube, and many others.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote