Solar Installation - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
So Jim, will you be using a flexible panel for the portable panel as well? Mine has the stock 150/160 watt (whatever it takes) panel but camping in shade maybe a problem for us. Thoughts on kind/type/brand for external panels? Also are the double breakers in your system just used as switches or do they also protect the battery and the rest of the camper? Thanks for sharing your cool solar system! I enjoy your workmanship! Bill
If starting with the portable from scratch, I definitely would go with a pair of matching 60W semi - flexible panels, but I already had a Go Power 80W folding panel, which is a good bit bulkier unit, so will be using it.

The brakes do double duty as both a disconnect as well as system protection if needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Jim on your recommendation I think I am going to buy some flexible panels . I did bookmark the information you gave on the panels . The ones with the fiberglass backing . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #43

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Hi Jim,

This is a fine installation. A fitting top hat for the cabinetry inside.

As I plan for solar on my upcoming 5.0 TA, it seems to me that the most convenient way to store portable panels is on edge in the wardrobe closet (flat against the wall).

I'm told the wardrobe is 18" deep at bottom and 17" deep at the top. It's 38" from floor to the clothes hanging rod and 41.5" from floor to the shelf. Unfortunately, the distance from the bottom opening to the self is only 35". Evidently, there is a considerable "lip" on the bottom.

Therefore, the ideal maximum panel size appears to be 965mm x 430mm. 890x430 would be even better. Either of these sizes would also fit easily on the roof.

What size are your 60w panels?

Do know the side-to-side width of the ridge on top of the 5.0 TA? Don't bother to get a ladder to measure it, but if you happen to have it in your notes, it would be useful for my planning.

Thanks,

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Hi Jim,

This is a fine installation. A fitting top hat for the cabinetry inside.

As I plan for solar on my upcoming 5.0 TA, it seems to me that the most convenient way to store portable panels is on edge in the wardrobe closet (flat against the wall).

I'm told the wardrobe is 18" deep at bottom and 17" deep at the top. It's 38" from floor to the clothes hanging rod and 41.5" from floor to the shelf. Unfortunately, the distance from the bottom opening to the self is only 35". Evidently, there is a considerable "lip" on the bottom.

Therefore, the ideal maximum panel size appears to be 965mm x 430mm. 890x430 would be even better. Either of these sizes would also fit easily on the roof.

What size are your 60w panels?

Do know the side-to-side width of the ridge on top of the 5.0 TA? Don't bother to get a ladder to measure it, but if you happen to have it in your notes, it would be useful for my planning.

Thanks,

Rich
Storing portable panels in the closet in the 5.0TA is not a likely option. This is where I stored mine in the 19 with it's wide and 24" deep closet. In the 5.0TA it is only 18" deep. I did make a slot to store mine under the stairs, where it fits nicely.

My trailer is out at a friends place right now, but we are headed there tomorrow for a party. I forget how wide the top is, but could measure then. It is just a bit wider than these panels. The panels are 905 x 570 mm, or 35 5/8 x 22 7/16 in. I could find nothing that fit nicer, and with being able to place four of them for 240W, it is not too bad. Having more panels allows a bit more chance of getting some sun than a single one, though I did hook mine up with two parallel pairs of two panels in series.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim on your recommendation I think I am going to buy some flexible panels . I did bookmark the information you gave on the panels . The ones with the fiberglass backing . Pat
That would certainly be the route I would take. These panels are working great, and are supposed to be WAY tougher than previous semi-flexible ones.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #46

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Storing portable panels in the closet in the 5.0TA is not a likely option.

Well dang, Jim, you should not have said that! Now I feel obligated to find a way to get them into my closet.
I found a 40w ETFE panel with sunpower cells on Alibaba. It's 550x440 and fits into the closet.

Quote:
I forget how wide the top is, but could measure then. It is just a bit wider than these panels. The panels are 905 x 570 mm, or 35 5/8 x 22 7/16 in. I could find nothing that fit nicer, and with being able to place four of them for 240W, it is not too bad. Having more panels allows a bit more chance of getting some sun than a single one, though I did hook mine up with two parallel pairs of two panels in series.
At 550x440, I could mount two 40w panels side by side. That would be 880x550, or 905x550 with 25mm between the panels. I could mount 8 of these on the roof in four sets of two, each set in series, the four sets in parallel. That yields 320 watts or 400 watts with two matched portables.
I plan to have two 100Ah 12v LiFePO4 batteries (only 29 lbs each). With an 80% recommended depth of discharge, that's 160Ah of usable power. I could outlast quite a few days of bad weather, especially since I'll get at least some solar power through the clouds.
I really like the simplicity and look of direct mounted flexible panels, but I'm concerned about heat. I've read that panels loose about 0.5% output for every degree Celsius over 25 degrees. For trailers, we only need to consider the panel temp when mounted directly on the roof vs. that when raised off the roof. I'm guessing the difference might be as much as 10 degrees C, reducing output by 5%. That seems tolerable. But direct mounting also allows heat transfer into the camper much faster.
I've considered mounting the panels with twin wall polycarbonate between the panel and the roof. That would raise the panels slightly off the roof and allow a tiny bit of air flow under the panel. Any thoughts on this?
I guess the thing to do is get the panels and some twin wall and do some testing. I could measure panel temperature from above and below and power output:
- with twinwall
- without twinwall
- with an air gap as a control
Oh boy! Another task for my To Do list.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Once we get into fall and colder temps, I will report back, though I suspect in most cases I should still get fully charged with no problem, and if needed will deploy the portable panel.
I was quite surprised at how the change of seasons affects the output of my solar panels. You may be as well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
The rule of thumb I read was about 3:1 panel wattage required, winter versus summer That sound right Mike?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
The rule of thumb I read was about 3:1 panel wattage required, winter versus summer That sound right Mike?
Well, I dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised. I currently have three panels totaling 355 watts of solar panels on my trailer's roof. I cannot count on the panels completely charging my batteries during the day if it's before April or after September.

And that's in latitudes much lower than Alberta's, which from my experience in Jasper has about 27 hours of sunlight per day in May, and I'm guessing 27 minutes of sunlight in December.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Jim, what kind of charging amps are you typically seeing? 10amps, 12amps?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #51

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
Great install Jim!

One thing you may want to consider. Cable covers on the cables on the roof for uv protection. On our 19 we have 2x160 watt panels and a long cable run. After one year the positive red cable was pink and fading fast. A replaceable cable cover, suitably anchored was our solution.

John
Old 08-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
Great install Jim!

One thing you may want to consider. Cable covers on the cables on the roof for uv protection. On our 19 we have 2x160 watt panels and a long cable run. After one year the positive red cable was pink and fading fast. A replaceable cable cover, suitably anchored was our solution.

John
Thanks. These cables are supposedly able to handle UV well, but I will be monitoring them. Having to cover them could be done, but certainly would be a pain.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #53

Quote:
Thanks. These cables are supposedly able to handle UV well, but I will be monitoring them. Having to cover them could be done, but certainly would be a pain.
Actually it was pretty easy. Took about 30 minutes for 15 feet of run.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
Actually it was pretty easy. Took about 30 minutes for 15 feet of run.
What product did you use?
Old 08-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #55

Typical cable cover spiral split, ribbed exterior, available at any auto parts store and many hardware stores. I know home Depot and crappy tire stock it. I got mine at Napa parts in the states. Four us bucks for ten feet. Three quarter inch diameter hides 4 wires. Use half inch for two wires. Just twist as you run it along the cables. Electrical tape at leading ends and upstream of junctions ensure it'll stay there. Various colours, we got blue to match "Escapade's" stripes.

John
Attached Thumbnails
20170807_103932.jpg  
Old 08-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #56

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Never seen a red solar cable, was that an ETI install?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #57

Yup, in 2016. You can see a bit of the faded red/pink cable in my pic. Just to the rear of the fridge stack cowl.

John D
Old 04-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #58

Quote:
Finally did my solar install with the patience and guidance of David Walters .I could not have done this without his help. I know very little about electrical. Thank you again David . I also used Lensun semi- flexible fiberglass panels . First pictures , Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0007 3.jpg   DSC_0008 4.jpg   DSC_0009 4.jpg   DSC_0010 3.jpg  
Old 04-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sweet! Are there three panels? How much wattage?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Finally did my solar install with the patience and guidance of David Walters .I could not have done this without his help. I know very little about electrical. Thank you again David . I also used Lensun semi- flexible fiberglass panels . First pictures , Pat
More pictures . I put 3 60 watt panels on roof . We have a Victron battery monitor . I purchased a Victron MPPT controller . My shunt is in the battery box in the grey box I installed . What is very cool is I can sit in house and get my readings on my I-pad . Do not need wifi , it works off Victron's dongle using Bluetooth . So far very happy . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0328.jpg   IMG_0329.jpg   IMG_0330.jpg   IMG_0331.jpg