Solar Installation on 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2024, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Solar Installation on 19

After considerable research and reviewing installations by others on the forum I have finally decided to install a solar system. Without a rooftop A/C and fridge vent on the roof it is easier to coordinate the fitment of several large panels. If I'm going to do this I want to maximize my wattage within reason and have long term durability. My current concept includes three 200W 24V panels by Rich Solar. These will be wired in parallel to an AM Solar combiner box which will then have a feed into the trailer to a 50A Victron 100/50 solar controller. The panels will be mounted with AM Solar Rocker Foot mounts utilizing VHB which they do routinely. The feet will need varying heights due the changes in height of the "tunnel" down the middle of the trailer. Since this is an early Gen1 trailer I'm also contending with the rooftop A/C reinforcement "cap" that was used before the molds were changed to make the roof stronger. The panels are dimensioned such that my mounts are wide enough so that I can bolt through the shell into the upper cabinets if I want to now or in the future. The rocker mounts allow for tilting towards the front or rear of the trailer with the use of tilting kits that I will likely modify for multiple angles. The installation will be very similar to the picture attached of a trailer done by AM Solar but with an additional panel in the middle. I will be tilting the front panel down in the front as much as possible to reduce wind load. I'm also considering adding a fairing to deflect the wind utilizing fairing mounts by Redarc that will be adhered to the shell and sit along the front edge of the panel. I will also include a sidewall port to allow a portable to be plugged in to supplement the rooftop panels in variable conditions. Since I will have all of the panels paralleled on one solar controller I must match the 37.6 Vmpp of the rooftop panels as close as possible so I found a 24V portable made by Lion Energy with a Vmpp of 35V.

There will also be a shut off switch on the positive wire between the combiner box and solar controller and a 60A circuit breaker between the controller and the battery.
https://amsolar.com/wp-content/uploa...110_RS2001.pdf

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I start the install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Escape 19 solar.jpg (332.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg AM Solar Escape 19 - 360W.jpg (215.7 KB, 40 views)