Solar System with Flexible panels in Escape 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Mark, will you be installing the battery temperature sensor?
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Mark, will you be installing the battery temperature sensor?
My controller comes with a temperature sensor that senses right at the controller. As an option you can purchase a remote temperature sensor witch plugs in in place of the supplied local sensor and you extend it (by wire) out to the batteries. You don't need really need the sensor right at the battery for lead acid batteries, which I have (or AGM batteries I believe). If you have lithium batteries temperature is a bigger issue and I would get a remote sensor. Note that for my my MPPT solar controller, if the sensor short circuits or fails the controller automatically sets a default temperature of 25C.

Hope that helps.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
backing?

Hi Mark,

Your installations looks great. I am considering adding a panel or two to my 19. Some of the concerns I've read about with flexible panels is reliability and heat buildup. Some people suggest using a corrugated plastic board as a backer to help keep the heat away from the roof. Did you do that? Also are your panels removable in case they fail?
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5reeds View Post
Hi Mark,

Your installations looks great. I am considering adding a panel or two to my 19. Some of the concerns I've read about with flexible panels is reliability and heat buildup. Some people suggest using a corrugated plastic board as a backer to help keep the heat away from the roof. Did you do that? Also are your panels removable in case they fail?
Thanks,

I don't know how hot the panels get, but we measured mine at about 125 F in direct sun after installation. I could put my hand on them but it became uncomfortable quickly. I have put my hand on free standing panels on a hot day and it was not much different. Jim Bennetts have been on for over 3 years which included some months in the southern US and the Baha, Mexico and he has had no issues. Note that he installed with Eternabond tape, not VHB. To me the benefits of the low profile semi-flexible panels that I detailed in my original post are worth it.

I think that eventually the panels could/will lose efficiency or possibly fail. Everything does. A part of my choosing VHB tape, other than not wanting to drill holes, is that 3M gives instructions for removal of the tape. You use a garrote (thin wire like the high E string on a guitar) and cut through the tape core to remove the panel. 3M also sells a rotary tape remover to use in your drill (looks a bit like a rotary eraser) that takes the remaining adhesive off. I watched a video on line showing use of this tool to remove the VHB tape of of a car without damaging the paint.

I wanted my panels sealed so I did not get moisture under them. I did not want to put something under the panels to raise them, other than a few spaced out pieces of the VHB tape, as I felt it complicated the installation and made it harder to seal. The panels do have to curve to fit the roof, especially at the rear position. Corrugated plastic board would effect this. You maybe could do something like this with the Eternabond tape which is wide enough to go over the panels and a thien secondary layer, but to use the VHB you would be stacking bonded layers to attach the panels.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more it you need anything.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote