USB-C Charger Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
USB-C Charger Install

Has anyone installed a 12v USB high powered charger for USB-C devices?

I want to install a USB/USB-C charger in the upper dinette cabinet to the left of the refrigerator, and then, if satisfactory for charging my phone and computer(s), replace the others in the camper.

I found this USB-C charger on Amazon.

Also found this cigarette lighter version that would work with our existing plugs

Thanks,

Perry
Old 04-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

I want to install a USB/USB-C charger in the upper dinette cabinet to the left of the refrigerator, and then, if satisfactory for charging my phone and computer(s), replace the others in the camper.

Also found this cigarette lighter version that would work with our existing plugs

Thanks,

Perry
This one is maybe the one you need: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Water...9728427&sr=8-4

I did order the cigarette lighter version you posted, Ill let you know if it works well.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I have a cigarette lighter version. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works fine and charges pretty fast but it would be nice to have something that didn't stick out 3 inches.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:

Thanks,

Perry
Perry, the first link in your post goes to a charger that's not a USB-C charger. If you're wanting to charge a computer, not just a phone or a pad, you need to choose one with sufficient wattage. There are several that advertise 20-40 watts but even those say in the description that's total wattage for all the ports; none of which supply full wattage. That's not enough to keep a laptop battery charged while you're using the laptop.

One source I rely on is <www.thewirecutter.com>. Go there and search for "USB-C". It has reviews of USB-C car chargers for laptops, phones and tablets; wall outlets with USB-C charging ports; and USB-C cables (which are not all alike; some will not carry full charging current).

My favorite that plugs into a 12-volt cigar-type outlet is the Nekteck PD 45W Type-C Car Charger. This model can charge phones, tablets, and computers on its USB-C port, and it has a second port for charging USB-A devices. It adheres to USB-C fast-charging standards and includes a quality cable. I use it for my Apple laptop and it's 45 watts is enough to keep the battery at full charge when I'm using the laptop (although it won't charge the battery anywhere near as fast as the laptop's own 95 watt charger.

The technology on these charges is getting better all the time so I suggest not spending money on an in-wall outlet. For now, us a 12-volt plug in version or one that plugs into a 120V wall outlet when you're hooked to shore power.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I purchased a 2 part solution to keeping my MacBookPro charged through a 12V to USB C charger. The basic part is the 12V module. And this converter to go from the module to a USB C connection.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
It works fine and charges pretty fast but it would be nice to have something that didn't stick out 3 inches.
Isn’t at least half of it recessed into the 12V outlet?
Old 04-29-2021, 07:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
I installed one similar to that. Just use a cable that is USB-A on one end and USB-C on the other.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Isn’t at least half of it recessed into the 12V outlet?
I didn't measure but it sticks out a lot more than a plain USB connection (which you still have at the end of the plug.) Only a problem when I plug it in next to the bed.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote