3” frame recall - still honored - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2023, 11:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
3” frame recall - still honored

Hi All,

I just found that my frame is cracked right through on the passenger side, right by the stabilizer Jack. Upon reviewing the forum, I see that there was a second recall on the 3” escape 19 frames because of this very issue in 2018. I was unaware of this till now. I have contacted escape, but they haven’t gotten back to me yet. Has anyone tried to get this recall done recently? Is the new management still honouring it?

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
78A64683-81D6-4445-8C99-9D5E867CF95D.jpg  
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 01:18 PM   #2

Doug: Ouch. Was this frame modified? It appears that below the crack there is some type of plate welded on. Our 2010 19 does not have this. Actually the closer I look at this it looks like there might also be a vertical weld in the location of the crack.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Doug: Ouch. Was this frame modified? It appears that below the crack there is some type of plate welded on. Our 2010 19 does not have this. Actually the closer I look at this it looks like there might also be a vertical weld in the location of the crack.
I bought the trailer used, so I cant say for sure, but it looks to me like the frame had cracked there previously, and was welded back together. That mending plate appears to have been added under it to try and reinforce it. They also added that same plate to the drivers side of the trailer frame, I assume as a preventative measure after the passenger side failed. The frame rail looks good over on that side.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The forum, in their collective wisdom, can often answer questions specifically and expertly. This isn't one of them. The only way to get an accurate answer is to contact ETI.

It's been awhile but if I remember correctly there's been a couple of bouts of frame repairs. The first perhaps only involved the mending plate but I think that the second kick at the can addressed the root cause of the cracks. The original trailers had a vertical bolt holding the shell onto the frame. It went vertically through the frame. and that's the propagation point for a lot of previous damage.

I believe the second iteration of a repair involved welding a 90* flange onto the frame with the body attachment bolt going through the flange, not the frame. Many have had this second repair mod done. Perhaps someone will post a photo of it.

But call ETI and see what their response is and post it. You're undoubtedly not the last person to need this repair done.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:39 PM   #5

UPDATE: Escape got back to me. They do still honor the recall, and are going to take care of it yay!
Old 10-31-2023, 04:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Glad to see they are stepping up..
Old 10-31-2023, 05:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's been awhile but if I remember correctly there's been a couple of bouts of frame repairs. The first perhaps only involved the mending plate but I think that the second kick at the can addressed the root cause of the cracks. The original trailers had a vertical bolt holding the shell onto the frame. It went vertically through the frame. and that's the propagation point for a lot of previous damage.

I believe the second iteration of a repair involved welding a 90* flange onto the frame with the body attachment bolt going through the flange, not the frame. Many have had this second repair mod done. Perhaps someone will post a photo of it.
Here’s the thread on the second recall. The main part is a full member welded along the bottom of the frame. Much stronger.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post246147
Old 10-31-2023, 05:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for posting that thread. I didn't doubt that you'd find it.

Good news that ETI is still stepping up to the plate. This did affect 19s right up to 2014 when they switched to a 4" frame. Hopefully current owners of units that haven't had the repair done will find out about the situation and get the repair done before it develops into a nasty situation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
UPDATE: Escape got back to me. They do still honor the recall, and are going to take care of it yay!
Love to read good news like that
Old 10-31-2023, 11:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
We had the same thing happen two years ago in the same place on our 2013 15 B.

We did not contact Escape because of its age. Guess I should have.

Ours broke on both sides.

I had the repair shop weld a plate both sides of frame at least 6 inches each side of break , than had a support bar from the cross frame member to behind the breaks, Than cover the whole area with 1/8 inch Steel plate to take all movement out of the area.

So far so good. We have about 5k on 5he repair now.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:21 PM   #11

UPDATE: where once there was a crack, now there is a whole lot more steel, and shinny new paint. As promised, Escape took care of everything. All I had to do is drop the trailer off at my local welding shop.
Attached Thumbnails
49ADDDFC-1684-406F-96EE-B73C7ADC9920.jpg   5362872C-41DD-454F-A994-74A30733F501.jpg  
Old 11-26-2023, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
UPDATE: where once there was a crack, now there is a whole lot more steel, and shinny new paint. As promised, Escape took care of everything. All I had to do is drop the trailer off at my local welding shop.
Looks like they did a nice job. Glad you are back on the road.