5.0TA Tire Pressure and TV tire Pressure Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2022, 04:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
5.0TA Tire Pressure and TV tire Pressure Question

Hello group! We have a 2020 5.0TA with the factory Ranier tires still on it. The sidewall says 65 PSI cold, is the general consensus here to run these at 50 PSI cold still?

My TV is a 2010 Silverado Z71 pickup using an Andersen rail mount hitch in the bed, my tires are Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude and they say 51 PSI max. The sticker inside my door says Cold Tire Pressure 35 PSI.

So…..

1. Trailer tires at 50 PSI the way to go?

2. What would you all recommend I run the front and rear truck tires at when towing with the 5.0 TA?

I just purchased a new TST TPMS so I’m setting the parameters.

Thanks all in advance!
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 21NE
There should be a sticker on the front driver's side of the trailer indicating 50 PSI for the trailer tires. Our truck has a similar sticker that indicates 35 PSI so that is what we use. Hope this helps!
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
My suggestion would be to start out as recommended by the factory that made the trailer and TV. After a few hundred miles you may want to go a few more PSI on the TV, but keep an eye on them and then see how they are performing.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Sounds good…..I just figured the recommended 35 PSI was for an unloaded truck, not having any trailer weight on it but I can try that! Thanks!
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21NE
It may be, but so far it works for us on short weekend trips without a full load. We are getting ready to make an extended multi-week trip with a bigger load. It will be interesting to see if we need to make any adjustments.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
Sounds good…..I just figured the recommended 35 PSI was for an unloaded truck, not having any trailer weight on it but I can try that! Thanks!
No - the truck's recommended tire pressures are at least adequate for the maximum axle loads for which the truck is rated. You might get better handling or fuel economy with higher pressure (but might not), but the pressures on the placard are not just for the truck in an unloaded state.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Hello group! We have a 2020 5.0TA with the factory Ranier tires still on it. The sidewall says 65 PSI cold, is the general consensus here to run these at 50 PSI cold still?
The sidewall gives the maximum inflation pressure, which is likely required to reach the full rated load capacity of the tires. Much less pressure is required to handle the actual load on the tires when used on an Escape.

Quote:
My TV is a 2010 Silverado Z71 pickup using an Andersen rail mount hitch in the bed, my tires are Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude and they say 51 PSI max. The sticker inside my door says Cold Tire Pressure 35 PSI.
The sidewall gives the maximum inflation pressure; which may be required to reach the full rated load capacity of the tires. Much less pressure is required to handle the actual load on the tires when used on an Silverado. The sticker gives a recommendation which provides at least adequate load capacity, and considers other factors such as ride, handling, and fuel consumption.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote