Anyone own an E19 with a power jack and front storage locker? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Anyone own an E19 with a power jack and front storage locker?

I was measuring my E19 for installing a power tongue jack. Almost all of the power jacks require 2" to 2 1/2" from the jack post to the back of the power head (or the side of the power head if mounted sidewise). The problem I have encountered is that if I use the existing OEM propane tank cover, there is not enough clearance. From the picture attachments, there is about 1/2" from the tank cover to the locker and 1 1/4" from the jack post to the propane tank cover. Hence, only 1 3/4" of clearance, even if I move the propane tanks back slightly. Couple of questions:
- Does anyone have an second generation E19 with a storage locker and a power tongue jack? If so, can you fit the OEM hard propane tank cover?
- An alternate cover that is flexible (like https://www.amazon.com/Propane-Trail...dp/B07T6SH2Q3/) would be thinner than the OEM hard tank cover. Comments on using such a cover?
Attached Thumbnails
Propane Cover to Jack Post.jpg  
Attached Images

MVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Yes, we have 2017 E19 with storage box and power jack. Propane tank cover is indeed the thin flexible one. This just barely fits when sliding it up and down behind the power head, but works fine and I find that it’s close enough I don’t need to secure the cover with a bungee.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Sorry, no it is not a soft cover like the one shown on Amazon page, it is a thin rigid plastic 2 piece cover with a hinged opening lid on top to reach the valves.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
MVA

Thanks - I assume you have the standard OEM Lippert jack?
Old 10-30-2021, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21C
I have owned 3 travel trailers including the current 21C. All three have had dual propane tanks. After loosing the first cover while traveling down the road I have left the propane cover off of all three. I actually prefer the look over the cover.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:39 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I secure the front propane cover with a small bungee strap....worked so far on 4 Escapes....
Old 10-31-2021, 10:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We turned the power Jack head sideways to aid in opening the tailgate. It increased the Jack to tank cover distance a bit. We rarely go thru 2 tanks of propane a year, if we did I would probably get rid of the tank cover altogether as others have done.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
My Tank Cover Fix

When we first got our 2019 Escape 19 the propane tank cover was so tight between the jack and the cargo box that it jammed into the lid on the box making the box lid very difficult to open without removing the tank cover. I was also concerned about wear to the gel coat on the lid of the cargo box. I contacted Escape and after some back and forth I was assured that they would be coming up with a solution and would get it to me eventually (that never happened). Note that I looked at a 2017 E19 trailer and it had a different jack with a smaller head and although it was close, the cover fit without interference. It also had a different Cargo Box Lid that was slightly smaller.

As I did not want to leave the cover off and I did not want to leave the interference causing other damage I decided to do my own fix. With the newer jack installed in 2019, turning the jack does not create more clearance on the back side and in fact makes it worse as it would be wider in that direction. As the tank cover is thermoplastic I decided to heat it and reshape it around the jack head as follows.

1. Remove the tank cover and tanks.
2. Remove the top access cover off of the tank cover.
3. Clamp something stiff along access cover hinge line so it does not distort when reforming the front of the cover. I used a piece of aluminum extrusion I had handy but a piece of wood would work as long as it does not block the opening and the reforming of the front around the jack head.
4. Wrap the jack head with a cloth to insulate it from the heat of the cover as it is being heated and to provide the shape you want the cover to take.
5. Put the tank cover in place without reinstalling the tanks.
6. Using a heat gun heat the tank cover from the inside in the area of the jack head. It is best to have a helper doing this as you want to reform the cover with the heat on. My wife ran the heat gun.
7. Once the plastic in the area of the jack head is hot enough to start plastically deforming apply forward pressure on the tank cover in the area of the jack head to mold it around the jack head. Note that it is necessary to wear thick gloves as the plastic needs to get quite hot to permanently deform. I checked the plastic on the black jack head shroud and it did not get too hot to touch with bare fingers.
8. Check clearance on jack head and cargo box lid to ensure the cover allows clearance to open the cargo box and not press hard on the jack.
9. If there is still interference, repeat heating and molding steps as required to get clearance. We did it three or four times.

In the end the cover was reformed (i.e.: pushed in) at least 3/4 inches to provide acceptable clearance tolerances). The entire process took about an hour including gathering tools and reinstalling the tanks and clean up. The final look is not noticeable unless you are aware what was done. I went out and took pictures this morning to show what it is like now. Note that it is Canada so I had to clean a bit of snow off the area but you will still see some snow and ice in the pictures. I would not do this job in the cold as it would be difficult to get the plastic hot enough. Overall it was a fairly simple fix if you are a bit handy and have access to a heat gun. I spent more time figuring out what I was going to do than doing it.

The first picture shows clearance with the jack head. The tank cover reshaping extends down to the point where it cleared the jack head without reforming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050782.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	59323

The second picture shows clearance with the Cargo Box Lid.

Name:	P1050783.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	59324

The third picture shows where the cover edge also rubbed hard against the wiring harness down at the frame so I heated the area locally and formed the plastic so it no longer rubs with the sharp corner of the lower edge hard against the wire insulation.

Name:	P1050784.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	59325
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
MVA

Thanks Mark for the detailed approach and instructions. Good approach to gain additional clearance.