Bathroom Fan Drain Hole? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2022, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Bathroom Fan Drain Hole?

I had this question jumbled in with some other things in a different post but thought I might split it out so that more people would see it.

After receiving my new trailer I looked over all of the exterior caulking (yes, I know that is being anal!) and noticed this hole in the caulking around the exterior flange of the bathroom fan.
It kind of looks like it's supposed to be there, though I'm uncertain of its purpose and I'm reluctant to plug the hole, but also uneasy about leaving it without knowing for sure. Iowa Dave thought that it might be a drain hole.

I've sent a message off to ETI but have not received a response.

Anybody able to take a quick look on their roof and see if yours is the same?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1289.jpg  
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:43 PM   #2
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Yes, that is a drain hole that drains the annular ring of the exterior flange of the bathroom fan. If you remove the fan cap, the purpose of the drain hole will be very obvious.

One of the problems that we experienced with ETIs installation was the excessive use of caulk to seal the fan mounting screws. The excessive caulk created dams that held water (from a very heavy downpour) in the exterior flange so the water couldn't make it out the drain hole. The foam gasket that seals the fan soaked up the water, which then dripped inside the bathroom. The solution was to painstakingly remove some of the excess caulk so water could flow around the exterior annulus and out the drain hole.

Kathy
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 E19
Thanks Kathy. ETI responded and, as you've stated, say that this is indeed a drain hole intentionally left open.
I'm going to pop the cover off and take a look as you've suggested.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote