Cross country adventure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2024, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Cross country adventure

We’re planning a trip from California to North Carolina on I-40 in either March or April. We’d be very grateful for any tips on places to see, places to stay (preferably free or cheap) and possible weather issues at that time of year. Planning to return on I-70 mid or late April. Same questions on that part of the trip. Many thanks in advance.
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Nest View Post
We’re planning a trip from California to North Carolina on I-40 in either March or April. We’d be very grateful for any tips on places to see, places to stay (preferably free or cheap) and possible weather issues at that time of year. Planning to return on I-70 mid or late April. Same questions on that part of the trip. Many thanks in advance.
My first advice would be to not use the Interstates if you can avoid it.

You don't want to go over 65 mph anyway, and there is so much more to see if you get off the Interstates.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:28 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
My first advice would be to not use the Interstates if you can avoid it.

You don't want to go over 65 mph anyway, and there is so much more to see if you get off the Interstates.

We only use Interstates if we're in a hurry and willing to miss seeing how others live. Our F-150 runs best at 62 mph, in 8th in hills and 9th on flats with our 10 speed tranny. We're retired, so time is on our side.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-10-2024, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape
https://maps.roadtrippers.com/trips/14685149
If this copied correctly it gives you a start to traveling the "mother road".
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post

We only use Interstates if we're in a hurry and willing to miss seeing how others live. Our F-150 runs best at 62 mph, in 8th in hills and 9th on flats with our 10 speed tranny. We're retired, so time is on our side.

Enjoy,

Perry
Same here.
Old 01-10-2024, 10:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
I agree with the others, avoid the interstates unless you are in a big hurry. I highly recommend US-50 instead of I-70. There is an incredible amount of scenery along US-50, especially in Colorado, Utah, and Nevada. I generally use this highway when I drive east, even though it is well out of my way (I live in Washington state).
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Assuming that you won't pick up I-70 until St Louis on your return trip?

You might look into Babler Memorial State Park in Wildwood MO (west of St Louis) & Montgomery Bell State Park in Burns TN (west of Nashville). I've stayed in both of them & found them a good deal for the price; both have water & electric. They were both chosen due to being close to my relatives in the suburbs, so might not be the most convenient if you're going downtown.

If you like Harvest Hosts, Alpaca Auxvasse in Auxvasse MO (northwest of St Louis) is a lovely place to stay - been there twice.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Here's another plug to avoid interstates, particularly I-40 through Arizona and New Mexico (and probably points east). I had to drive from my home in Idaho to Midland, TX a few years ago, in April. I have never in my long life experienced truck traffic such as I did on that section of I-40, and that includes multiple trips on I-80 across the country. It was literally bumper to bumper in both lanes. On one evening, there was some sort of situation many, many miles ahead of me (probably 40+ miles, at least) that caused a complete stoppage of traffic. No one moved even an inch for many hours. I had a reservation for a motel in Albuquerque that evening but didn't make it until almost 4 AM.

The cause of the backup?? A semi which had caught fire.

Fortunately, I wasn't towing. But I promised myself, never again. Ever. There are so many alternatives to interstates, most of which are far more interesting and have less truck traffic, heck less traffic of any kind. And it might even save you some time!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I second the i-50 recommendation. In Nevada near Austin is Bob Scott campground, right on 50. I think it's been redone this year. Inexpensive especially if you have the geezer pass. Road noise that diminishes after dark.

Also highly recommend Great Basin National Park on the edge of Nevada/Utah. An underused jewel. It's high elevation so in March may still have snow. Lower Lehman #10 is the best site.

Green River State Park in Utah. Nearby is the John Wesley Powell River History Museum. Small and worth a stop. A lot of rafting history documented there. (Powell was the first descent of the Colorado in the Grand Canyon)

These are notes from my 2018 cross country trip.

Mama Gerties in Nashville, NC. Tons of excellent food in Asheville....wish I could have stayed longer. The Biltmore estate is there...I thought "meh" and wish I'd skipped it, but a lot of folks like it. They have a lot of Chiluly Glass there in an outdoor fountain.

Cherokee Campground in Cherokee, NC. Narrow sites, restroom substandard, BUT interesting and informative tour of recreated Cherokee village.

Atlanta-Stone Mountain, pricey, very snippy people but near to Martin Luther King National Historic Site, the Center for Civil and Human Rights, also a small gem, the Michael Carlos Museum at Emory University.

Meridian MI Bonita Lakes

Jackson, MI Lefleurs Bluff State Park, right IN the city. International Museum of Muslim Culture, Mississippi Civil Rights Museum, and Eudora Welty's home and adjacent small museum and garden (I'm a fan)

Grand Prairie, TX Lloyd Park.

Abilene, TX KOA. Fine for a night.

Las Cruces, NM Hacienda RV and White Sands National Monument

Dragoon Az Amerind Foundation Museum...a gem of a museum, small. Didn't stay there, just a stop. Stayed in Tucson at KOA, it's GIGANTIC.

The Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix is amazing. Worth a stop.

Yuma, AZ Las Quintas Oasis...mostly park models, lots of snowbirds, the office folks are lovely, excellent facilities. I've stayed here more than once.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Where does US 50 start? We’re coming from Southern California
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Nest View Post
Where does US 50 start? We’re coming from Southern California
US-50 starts in Sacramento and runs all the way to Washington, DC.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 12:27 AM   #12
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
My apologies as I do not have exact places to stay, however we have had luck using Harvest Host (plus Boondockers plus the Golf Courses), and in cities where they allow it, Cracker Barrel and Wal-Mart have always been fine. However for either Cracker Barrel or Wall-Mart we usually recon the area to ensure it seems safe. I can only recall one time when we moved on.

I believe Amarillo is the city that has the 72oz steak that is free if you can eat it all (including the salad and baked potato). I think a few people a month are able to do it but I suspect it is mostly a way to get you into the door to try. I can't think of anything else that may be of interest as it's been a few decades since I've travelled extensively on those routes.

A lot of the old "fun" stuff you ran across when stopping for gas seems to be gone and replaced with an endless replica of the last stop with McDonalds, Carls Jr., Subway, etc. On our drive from LA to Phoenix I expected to see some of the old "Stucky's" type stops - nope. No Date Shakes, no dinosaurs, no biggest collection of shoes, worlds deepest hole, etc. Just McDonalds, etc.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:48 PM   #13

CE Vogel is correct. At the intersection of the beginning of hwy 50 at hwy 80 in Sacramento, there's a sign that says, "Ocean City, Maryland, 3018 miles".
Old 01-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
CE Vogel is correct. At the intersection of the beginning of hwy 50 at hwy 80 in Sacramento, there's a sign that says, "Ocean City, Maryland, 3018 miles".
Hmm, is that sign promoting the journey or the destination? Or simply a reality checkpoint?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 04:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Hi, Crows Nest. If you stick with the I-40 plan through North Carolina, we highly recommend a stay in Asheville. The city has an interesting downtown to visit, vibrant arts scene, an incredible collection of craft breweries (if you’re into that like we are), and the Biltmore Estate (the 1890s castle built for American royalty) if you want to see how the Vanderbilts lived. Biltmore has a nice winery as well. There’s good hiking in the area too, and plenty of other places to explore the outdoors.

We camped in the area at Lake Powhatan campground and thought it was awesome. We had a site with a lot of room and privacy (site 46, full hookups). Those full hookup sites might be pricey at $88 per night if you’re looking for cheap rates, but sites with no hookups are only $32 per night.

Hope that helps, and have a great trip!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:47 PM   #16

Viajante, I think the sign merely points out the beginning and the end of Hwy 50 (or vice versa, depending on where you start). 50 is also known as the loneliest highway in America.
(edited to insert correct map)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/us-rou...5352442421795/

The article says it goes coast to coast which is NOT accurate. If one decides to travel it, there is great wisdom in paying attention to the gas gauge, particularly through Nevada and Utah.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
You might check this out. I have followed Keep Your Daydream for years and they have great RV travel information. This is a map with points of interest submitted by followers. https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/roadtripfun/

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 E19
In Oklahoma, I-40 exit 101 and south 5 miles is Red Rock Canyon State Park. An interesting place to camp with canyon walls all around you. If you like museums and such, the Myriad Gardens of Crystal Bridge Conservatory in OKC is said to be quite nice (I haven't been there yet, though) and the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum has a good selection of artwork (I have been there). If you happen to travel off the beaten path and want to go through Pawhuska OK, the Pioneer Woman Mercantile is an interesting place to visit there and the nearby Woolaroc Museum (I've gone here 3-4 times) contains some nice native American stuff, historical pieces, and native grassland where you might see buffalo & other wildlife.

SE of Russellville Arkansas, I recommend a day at Petit Jean State Park. It has high overlooks, a cave, a decent waterfall, interesting rock formations, nice trails, and camping under the pine trees.