Dexter Axles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Dexter Axles

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to replace one of my axles. I have the 2019 21 and one of my tires (driver side rear) is wearing something fierce on the inside. Got to be a bent axle or maybe a bearing.

My Question. What is the weight rating for my axle. I can't find my Dexter manual in my manual package. I remember seeing it but Don't know what I did with it.

I could ask on the ETI forum but I think folks here are more responsive. Truth is, I just don't like that forum.

Edit: I had the inspiration to check the ETI website and check the features of the 21. 3500lb. My guess is they are the same on my 21.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
You’ll need to get the serial number from the axle for warranty service anyway which will entail crawling under.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #3

Would there be any sort of advantage to replacing the axles with a higher weight rated axle. My trailer weighs about 4300 when on the hitch. I'm thinking maybe the higher rated ones don't damage as easily as the 3500 but I have no experience with these things ( or maybe , I just forgot) .

Would it affect the towing parameters? Is it even possible with our Escapes to move up to a higher rating?

If I have to replace one, I might as well look at options.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A higher rating may cause more disarray inside.......
Old 07-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A higher rating may cause more disarray inside.......
Now that, I have experience with!
Old 07-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
New axle

If you are going to replace just one, it should match the one you are keeping. If you are replacing both consider getting 3000 lb rated ones that have 10 inch brakes.
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Would there be any sort of advantage to replacing the axles with a higher weight rated axle. My trailer weighs about 4300 when on the hitch. I'm thinking maybe the higher rated ones don't damage as easily as the 3500 but I have no experience with these things ( or maybe , I just forgot) .

Would it affect the towing parameters? Is it even possible with our Escapes to move up to a higher rating?
Escape uses the Dexter Torflex #10. The next step up in capacity is the #10F (maximum 4,000 pounds), but it is dimensionally identical and has the same bearings, suggesting that the only difference is the amount of rubber (which acts as the springs and bushings), so it would bolt in but provide no strength or durability benefit, only excessively harsh ride.

The next step up is the #11. It looks like it has the same arm length and bracket dimensions, so it could probably be bolted in. It has more substantial components, suitable for up to 6,000 pounds per axle; however, it can only be ordered with rubber trimmed for 4,100 pounds capacity or higher, so the strength would come at the expense of unnecessarily harsh ride. It looks like it only comes with "655" hubs, which means six bolts on a 5.5" circle so new wheels would be necessary. The hubs appear to use the same inner bearing as the #10, so I don't know if the spindle would be any stronger or more resistant to getting bent.

Excessive spring stiffness doesn't just rattle the trailer's components and contents to destruction - it also reduces tire traction (and thus braking performance and stability) as the tires skitter over road surface imperfections instead of following them.

Any tandem-axle Escape already has more than enough axle capacity and probably too much spring stiffness for the loaded weight of the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
If you are going to replace just one, it should match the one you are keeping. If you are replacing both consider getting 3000 lb rated ones that have 10 inch brakes.
Why should I do that? I'm going down in axle rating.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Escape uses the Dexter Torflex #10. The next step up in capacity is the #10F (maximum 4,000 pounds), but it is dimensionally identical and has the same bearings, suggesting that the only difference is the amount of rubber (which acts as the springs and bushings), so it would bolt in but provide no strength or durability benefit, only excessively harsh ride.

The next step up is the #11. It looks like it has the same arm length and bracket dimensions, so it could probably be bolted in. It has more substantial components, suitable for up to 6,000 pounds per axle; however, it can only be ordered with rubber trimmed for 4,100 pounds capacity or higher, so the strength would come at the expense of unnecessarily harsh ride. It looks like it only comes with "655" hubs, which means six bolts on a 5.5" circle so new wheels would be necessary. The hubs appear to use the same inner bearing as the #10, so I don't know if the spindle would be any stronger or more resistant to getting bent.

Excessive spring stiffness doesn't just rattle the trailer's components and contents to destruction - it also reduces tire traction (and thus braking performance and stability) as the tires skitter over road surface imperfections instead of following them.

Any tandem-axle Escape already has more than enough axle capacity and probably too much spring stiffness for the loaded weight of the trailer.
I knew all this Brian, I just wanted to make sure you did.😊
Old 07-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
I agree - it would be worth considering.

Quote:
Why should I do that? I'm going down in axle rating.
For better ride and handling with just as much strength in the components.

Quote:
I knew all this Brian, I just wanted to make sure you did.😊
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
As Brian stated the Dexter #10 AKA 3500 lb. axel can be rated from 2.5K to 4K. On my 2014 E-21 each axel was rated at 2.5K for a total of 5K capacity. I think the trailer hitch was rated for 5K and the gross weight of the trailer was rated was rated for 5K. I had a bit of odd tire wear which was caused by the bearings being just a little loose but there no issues after repacking. If you get 3.5K (7K total) or 4K (8K total) that may be a bit stiff for the trailer. My trailer EW was 4.1K. The tag on the axel will tell you what weight the axel was built to.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #12

Took my trailer in for the tire wear problem and my axle was ok. Turned out to be bearing.

I had no idea how checking to see if an axle is bent was done The folks at the trailer place took 10 measurements from specific spots and provided me with a printed graph of them. All measurements were within tolerances. Reminded me a bit of toe-in and camber stuff.

They took pictures 0f the process as they progressed and showed me. Neat!

They kept all the replaced parts and showed me the scored and pitted bearings and related parts. Pictures of them also. They replaced all bearings and stuff that goes with them.

I was told the grease was not the correct kind. When he turned the 'spindle'? upside down, the grease just fell out like jello. He said it should have to be physically removed. No clue here.

Should be in good shape now.

He suggested that 120lb torque on my alum wheels was better then 95lb. I decided to stick with 95.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:35 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I was told the grease was not the correct kind. When he turned the 'spindle'? upside down, the grease just fell out like jello. He said it should have to be physically removed. No clue here.
Dexter recommends a NLGI No. 2 Red Lithium Complex grease.

I use Lucas Red N Tacky.

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease