Disconnecting gas spring from door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2022, 10:23 AM   #1

Trailer: Owner of a 17A since April 2019
Disconnecting gas spring from door

Can anyone confirm that the plastic fitting for the gas spring can be disconnected by applying upward pressure? I can't get mine to disconnect, and hate trying to force a plastic piece.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220912_213144588.jpg  
endorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Since my friction hinges are due to arrive on my doorstep in the next couple of hours that's a timely question.

I went and looked at mine. The end is very similar to the struts that hold up my box cover but they don't have a small part that you move to release.

It looks like the top part might be able to be pried up but my over enthusiasm has broken a part or two .

So that makes two us asking. The alternative seems to be to unscrew the two screws holding the bracket on.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Owner of a 17A since April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
So that makes two us asking. The alternative seems to be to unscrew the two screws holding the bracket on.
Ron
I had the same thought, but one of my two screws is blocked by the rod from the gas spring
endorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I just removed the strut so I could install the friction hinges yesterday. I used an Allen key to remove the bracket screws. I didn't even think the strut might be removable
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorice View Post
I had the same thought, but one of my two screws is blocked by the rod from the gas spring
Remove the inboard bracket first, swing arm out for access to the screw.

Unless someone confirms that the arm just pops off the bracket that's what I'll do. Then I'll just re-insert the screws to plug the holes and so I'll know where they are if I want to re-install the arm.

Going to wait until I have the friction hinges in my hand before I do it.

Ron
Old 09-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Remove it from threshold first then swing arm to allow excess.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Put one friction hinge on ,let wife check it out. She wanted both on.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... I went and looked at mine. The end is very similar to the struts that hold up my box cover but they don't have a small part that you move to release.

It looks like the top part might be able to be pried up but my over enthusiasm has broken a part or two .

I appreciate the wisdom of caution in this sort of thing, but I'm also certain that this rod end pops off of the ball. You can see the steel retaining spring around the socket. While there are variations in these gas struts and their hardware, the ball size is pretty much universal and and they all seem to pop together. It is always a good idea to check for something that needs to be released first, such as the latching part or a spring to be removed.

I really don't like taking screws like those holding the bracket out, because they are probably just self-tapping jun that won't be secure if just put back in the same hole.

My motorhome has about a dozen compartment doors with these gas struts, plus the main door has one, and my car and van are hatchbacks with more of these gas struts, so they get pretty familiar after a few years.

But I still don't offer any guarantees that nothing will break.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

but I'm also certain that this rod end pops off of the ball.

But I still don't offer any guarantees that nothing will break.
Ever thought about going into politics?

I took a real good look at it again. Removing the screws isn't as easy as I thought.

Watched all sorts of stuff where the person just inserts a thin screwdriver into a narrow slot, lifts the clip and pops the end off. Despite watching several videos showing the small access slot etc. the Escape strut doesn't have that slot. It sort of looks like a screwdriver might be able to be used but until I hear someone say, yah, just pull hard on it, it'll stay in place.

The strut is made by Newport Engineering Assoc. and they have a phone # on the strut. I'll give them a call on Mon. Having broken a few clips over the years makes me a little cautious. If I don't like the friction hinges I'd like to keep the option of putting the strut back on.

Ron
Old 09-24-2022, 06:08 PM   #10

OK, full disclosure. When a package arrives I have it opened and am starting to put things together before the delivery guy has gone very far. My wife takes the instructions or manual and sits down to read it.

So the delivery guy arrives while I have the trailer door open kind of looking for ways to get rid of the strut. OK, now I have the hinges in my hot little hand, they never made it to the house. So, what the heck, go for it.

Took a large flat blade screwdriver and pried the inboard end this way and that and it pops off. I can see that the clip holding it on is an upside down "U". No sliding sideways like in the videos.

I used more force than I wanted to on the outboard end. Couldn't get it to pop off but I noticed that the rod going to it rotated. Bing, bang, unthread the rod etc. The ball end can stay where it is until I get up enough nerve to try prying it off again.

Easy installation. Don't know why they have buyers having to drill the extra holes. Easy to do, especially with drill press. They seem to suggesting that you could just use the self tapping screws but that's not the way I'd like to go.

Going to take a bit of getting used to. I liked the strut but there were a few times when the door open at 90* was inconvenient.

Boy, by the time you've added two additional hinges the edge of the door almost looks like it has a piano hinge. Not much danger of unexpected forces tearing the door off the trailer.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2225_resize.jpg  
Old 09-24-2022, 06:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
OK, full disclosure. When a package arrives I have it opened and am starting to put things together before the delivery guy has gone very far. My wife takes the instructions or manual and sits down to read it.

So the delivery guy arrives while I have the trailer door open kind of looking for ways to get rid of the strut. OK, now I have the hinges in my hot little hand, they never made it to the house. So, what the heck, go for it.

Took a large flat blade screwdriver and pried the inboard end this way and that and it pops off. I can see that the clip holding it on is an upside down "U". No sliding sideways like in the videos.

I used more force than I wanted to on the outboard end. Couldn't get it to pop off but I noticed that the rod going to it rotated. Bing, bang, unthread the rod etc. The ball end can stay where it is until I get up enough nerve to try prying it off again.

Easy installation. Don't know why they have buyers having to drill the extra holes. Easy to do, especially with drill press. They seem to suggesting that you could just use the self tapping screws but that's not the way I'd like to go.

Going to take a bit of getting used to. I liked the strut but there were a few times when the door open at 90* was inconvenient.

Boy, by the time you've added two additional hinges the edge of the door almost looks like it has a piano hinge. Not much danger of unexpected forces tearing the door off the trailer.

Ron
I also questioned why I had to drill holes in the hinge thinking maybe hinge is made for different door thicknesses. Oh and yes it would take hurricane force to have this door disconnect from the trailer now
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Replaced ours a week ago. I tried pulling on the strut to remove and was just going to bend or break something. After unscrewing the strut from the ends, I got out an old steak knife, slipped it underneath the spring clip, twisted it sideways and off it popped. The other was as easy to remove. The new strut popped on in a second.

In my case the old steak knife made the job easy-peazy.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
I just used a very small flat screwdriver and stuck it under that band / keeper thing. Came right off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220925_075255831_HDR.jpg  
Old 09-25-2022, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post

In my case the old steak knife made the job easy-peazy.

Enjoy,

Perry
I'm wondering if the newer ones don't have a slightly deeper recess that allows for the use of a small screwdriver. Mine's about the same age as yours and, yes, a steak knife works. But it's still a bit of effort to get it under the clip, impossible with a small screwdriver.

But, collectively, I guess we've answered the OPs original question.

Well, old habits die hard. Went out and unlocked the door and expected the door to pop open to 90*. Gasp, I had to pull it open.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0003_resize.jpg  
Old 06-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Years ago my father-in-law was shocked when I used a kitchen knife to remove a small screw instead of going to the garage for a screw driver. I thought using a knife was a “girl thing”. Glad I’m not a weirdo after all.