Do cabinet doors need to be secured while in route - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Do cabinet doors need to be secured while in route

We received our 5.0 on Monday and are already loving it even though it has yet to leave our driveway. We are prepping for our first outing the week of labor day in Northern Wisconsin. My question is regarding the kitchen cabinets and drawers. The latches/hinges seem very durable and seem to provide a "tight shut". Has anyone had issues with the doors and/or drawers opening while in transit? And if so, any good solutions? Thanks!
LuGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I'm expecting to travel washboard, I run bungee cords through the handles. I also secure the fridge door with bungee.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge bungee.jpg   Can cupboard bungee.jpg  
Old 08-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGreen View Post
We received our 5.0 on Monday and are already loving it even though it has yet to leave our driveway. We are prepping for our first outing the week of labor day in Northern Wisconsin. My question is regarding the kitchen cabinets and drawers. The latches/hinges seem very durable and seem to provide a "tight shut". Has anyone had issues with the doors and/or drawers opening while in transit? And if so, any good solutions? Thanks!
Hi Lu Anne, Congratulations, we love our 5.0

Have you considered going to the "get together" at Thomson IL next month? It's only about 2 1/2 hours south of Madison. I think there are at least 11 of us still planning to attend.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I changed the catches to these, they have an adjustable tension.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had originally changed to the double roller style which work fine keeping everything closed but have a sharp edge that cut me a few times when accessing cabinets.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #5

Once you fill those drawers with utensils etc. they are very unlikely to open by themselves as you lift and pull. Gravity and the weight of contents keep them closed.
Cupboards are a different matter.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I put a screw-in handle (looks like a drawer handle but is screwed in from the front, not from behind) on the entry wall (which is reinforced) and on the dinette side of the refrigerator (found a place that had wood behind it) and put a strap through to secure refrigerator when I am traveling.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have not had a problem with the overhead cabinets - well, early on there was the incident with a bottle of olive oil ending up on the floor - took 1 1/2 rolls of paper towels...

As to the closets (I have 2 since I added a cabinet over the drawer stack), both have popped open even with soft clothes inside. Escape used the same spring latch on the drawers, and I had a silverware drawer pop out, breaking the drawer. While I am still using the original latches on the drawers, I improved those for the cabinets.

At the suggestion of a post by Regards Al C I added a brass barrel latch (also available at Amazon). Makes it a bit harder to close the cabinet, but when closed, it doesn't open on its own.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
We use Baby Safety Latches, cheap, easy to install and use, out of sight, and nothing to forget when you're leaving.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Seems like we all have our own preference for holding those cabinets & drawers closed. The under-sink method I copied from another Forum user. The stick drawer stop also holds the lower cabinet too. I countersunk a rare earth magnet on both the stick and the door edge to store the stick when not in use. The hook & loop strap holds both the fridge door and the wardrobe closed. The last pic is the below-the-fridge cabinet which too has opened. We've had each of those cabinets or drawers open at onetime or another.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1524.jpg   IMG_1525.jpg   IMG_1526.jpg   IMG_1527.jpg  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #10

BTW, I have tried those spring-loaded rods with no success. I even cut an X in the ends and installed screws in the cupboard to go into the X. Still found everything ( canned goods ) on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
barred - 1.jpg  
Old 08-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Guess we have been lucky all these years ! We do have a strap on the bath door just in case . Always put heavy items in low cabinets . Once after we stopped and opened the refrigerator items fell out , like blueberries rolling out .
The cabinets have never opened though so we are lucky ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We tend to travel with our pantry very full, lots of heavy items, and have an Elfa drawer that it turns out can put pressure on the door latch and open it on a turn...and then a speed bump can send everything out onto the floor. We were pretty luck nothing broke and we got an easy lesson, as soon as we got home I added a little latch that keeps the pantry door secure when we're driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantry 1.jpg   Pantry latch 1.jpg   Pantry Latch 2.jpg  
Old 08-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Hi Lu Anne, Congratulations, we love our 5.0

Have you considered going to the "get together" at Thomson IL next month? It's only about 2 1/2 hours south of Madison. I think there are at least 11 of us still planning to attend.
Thank you Ronn and Colleen! I didn't know about the Mississippi shindig. I'm going to check that out!

Lu Anne
Old 08-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #14

Thank you for the great suggestions everyone!
Old 08-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
BTW, I have tried those spring-loaded rods with no success. I even cut an X in the ends and installed screws in the cupboard to go into the X. Still found everything ( canned goods ) on the floor.
Glenn,

I just noticed in your avatar that you now have a 2020 Highlander XLE.
I remember not too long ago that you were considering a new tow.
I intended to encourage you to get it, but I don't remember if I just thought it, or whether I wrote it.

Anyway, tell all about it. I know it probably has most of the goodies, but we'd like to know.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Glenn,

I just noticed in your avatar that you now have a 2020 Highlander XLE.
I remember not too long ago that you were considering a new tow.
I intended to encourage you to get it, but I don't remember if I just thought it, or whether I wrote it.

Anyway, tell all about it. I know it probably has most of the goodies, but we'd like to know.

Bill

I've been reading the owner's manuals since bringing it home day before yesterday. I get an 'F' in comprehension.

Keep seeing the phrase 'if equipped' and I don't know if it is or not, which means a lot of unnecessary reading.

Back up camera disturbs my brain. I'm still looking at mirrors and surrounds. Haven't got comfortable with it yet.
Has to go into aftermarket hitch shop for Prodigy P3 and 7-pin wiring before I can try towing, but colour seems to match the trailer, pretty well.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thank you Ronn and Colleen! I didn't know about the Mississippi shindig. I'm going to check that out!

Lu Anne
We hope to see you there.