dometic refrigerator maintenance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2023, 05:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21c
dometic refrigerator maintenance

We own a 2016 21C and the last time camping we had trouble getting the propane to light. It did finally catch after maybe 5-10 minutes. I am now a bit paranoid that it will fail to light on our next trip coming up in early August. I want to check the burner and igniter to be sure they are clean and the gap between the igniter and burner is what it should be. I watched a YouTube video that was very helpful except when I went to attempt the disassembly, there seems to be a rectangular, white plastic "cup" for lack of a better word, that is directly above the screw I need to remove to access the aforementioned parts. Does anyone have experience in how this "cup" can be removed so I can access the burner? A quick look did not show how this is held in place, and there isn't enough room to put a driver bit on top of the screw and turn it with a small wrench.Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	69625
Sailor now Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You just pull it outward; lift is from the bottom. It is not fastened- just wedged in.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I will ask the “dumb” question, specifically, did you have the propane cylinder valved off for a period of time before attempting to start the refrigerator? If so, did you “bleed” the system by igniting the range top first? Propane has a propensity to dissipate at times, and it may take several seconds after opening a range top valve before it lights. The amount of propane used by the refrigerator is minuscule compared to the range top, and lighting the range top will allow the propane to flow toward the refrigerator. If you valve of the cylinder and after 2 or 3 days the indicator on the regulator goes from green to red “bleeding” the propane thru the range may cure your starting problem.
Also, the small tube from the refrigerator’s gas valve to the burner can get restricted by particulate matter in the propane, which can be “dirty.” You can remove it and blow it out with compressed air.
If you find burner/orifice cleaning does not correct the situation, I would consider the two measures above.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
on a 21C, the furnace and fridge are pretty close, I'd just light the furnace to bleed off any air that got into the system. once the furnace is blowing hot air, shut it off, and try the fridge again.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote