E5.0 Where should I install the cable hatch for Starlink? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2024, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: N/A
E5.0 Where should I install the cable hatch for Starlink?

Hello Escapees

My 5.0 is in production, completion next month. I am looking at installing a plastic cable hatch through which I would run the Starlink cable. I am wondering where to locate the hatch. I guess this relates to where the router would be located, which could be on the shelf at the right of the entrance? What about under the dinette bench, would that be possible?

Any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated. Many thanks!
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
StarLink posts their operating temp specs. It might get too hot or cold in a cabinet, but I don’t know how you camp. Ideally higher in a more open centered space will give greater range, but in a space as small as an Escape, it probably doesn’t matter. I don’t have a 5.0, so can’t tell you where you can safely install a port. I do know my StarLink at home works well. We don’t travel with it. I work only when I want to now, so gladly leave it behind on the road.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
As an alternate to a hatch installed by ETI, you might try to find an appropriate 'weather tight bulkhead fitting' similar this (the link is to an Australian vendor)

https://spacetek.com.au/products/car...t-for-starlink

Starlink forums might be a source for info on such bulkhead fittings.

IME it is quite easy to drill clean holesaw through the shell and seal such fittings with Pro-flex, providing an all-weather leak-free and weather-tight connection. Krylon Fusion aerosol paint can be used to turn black plastic fittings white if desired.

That way you can determine the best location for the interior equipment and the cable 'pass-through' after you have your 5.0 in hand and can evaluate the possibilities for best solutions.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 02-23-2024, 03:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2023 ESCAPE 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude6543 View Post
Hello Escapees

My 5.0 is in production, completion next month. I am looking at installing a plastic cable hatch through which I would run the Starlink cable. I am wondering where to locate the hatch. I guess this relates to where the router would be located, which could be on the shelf at the right of the entrance? What about under the dinette bench, would that be possible?

I have a 2023 5.0; I had ETI add a second additional cable hatch (cost was $40) on the lower rear of the 5th wheel accessible to the under-seat area of the dinette. This was for a DISH Satellite Hopper receiver. I think ETI will likely add additional cable hatches per your location instructions.
leecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecallahan View Post
I have a 2023 5.0; I had ETI add a second additional cable hatch (cost was $40) on the lower rear of the 5th wheel accessible to the under-seat area of the dinette. This was for a DISH Satellite Hopper receiver. I think ETI will likely add additional cable hatches per your location instructions.
That sounds like a solution. Does the hatch look something like this:

Name:  2Q==.jpeg
Views: 280
Size:  3.7 KB
Old 02-23-2024, 04:26 PM   #6

Thank you Centex. I envy your intestinal fortitude! I have read several posts about mods requiring drilling through the shell. I am all thumbs and wouldn’t trust myself with that.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
If it were me I would get a port like the one that Centex posted it is totally weatherproof and insect tight. The port that you posted is what Escape uses for their non removable power cord. That would work but they aren't very tight and are famous for providing ingress for an insect infestation as well as mice. Also you have to fish the wire every time you set up instead of just plugging in your satellite dish. You could find out but I think any RJ45 waterproof connector would work I don't see why it would need to be Starlink specific. Here's a simple one on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Anmbest-Mount...8732667&sr=8-3 Smaller hole as well.

If you bought the port and aren't comfortable installing it yourself you could send it to Escape and they should install it for some price. I think they were charging $50 to install an owner provided Zamp solar port back in 2018. Or any RV repair place could install it for you.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
StarLink is functionally standard CAT cable, but uses proprietary connectors rather than RJ45. If you want to tie into a network, there is a StarLink to ethernet adapter.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Take a look here https://www.wiredwatts.com/ennetpass...ugh-gland#pic2 this might be a workable item and a lot cheaper. I use these in other application around my home and they are weatherproof.

Wirewatts.com

Just a thought.

Cheers to ya..... and Happy Trails...... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Attachment 72796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post

That would work but they aren't very tight and are famous for providing ingress for an insect infestation as well as mice. Also you have to fish the wire every time you set up instead of just plugging in your satellite dish.
I added one of those to the rear of my 21C. I consider it a multi-use port. I use it for my portable solar panel, my wi-fi antenna, my TV antenna and anything else that I want to run in or out.

No mice, no insects yet. That might differ depending on location but a non-issue for me after several years.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2023 ESCAPE 5.0 TA
Quote:

Attachment 72796
The photo you show looks like a power cord hatch. The cable connector hatch ETI installed is for standard cable/satellite (it is water proof and no chance of insect or mouse infestation). If your satellite internet has a proprietary connection, then this will not work for you. I attached photos of the standard cable hatch located on the driver's side of the Escape 5.0 and the additional cable hatch located in the rear.

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	2023 Escape 5.0 TA cable hatch drivers side.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	72833[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Escape 5.0 TA cable hatch rear.jpg  
leecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:38 AM   #12

Hello leecallahan. Indeed, Starlink uses a proprietary connection, so the standard cable hatch unfortunately would not work. These pics are very useful, many thanks for posting.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Hello Escapees

We do have Starlink and use the rear access hatch to get the wire out of the camper. We have the U-shaped dinette and our router sits on it. The coiled up wire sits in the storage area underneath the dinette. It works well enough for us.
kavm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:43 PM   #14

Thanks kavm. That is indeed the setup I will proceed with. Plastic cable hatch located at back, on passenger side, connecting to below the dinette bench. Router will be in dinette area, cable coil under bench. ETI will install the hatch for $50. I will find way to prevent bug and varmint intruders.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 [August]
Quote:
Hello Escapees

I faced this same dilemma when I installed my Starlink system in my 2021 5.0. I wanted a clean install that didn't require leaving a hatch open. Photos below show how I handled this. It did require drilling a round hole in the side into the lift jack compartment and cutting the Starlink cable so I could attach the RJ-45 ethernet connectors to the ends. This allows it to be plugged in to the inside fixed connector on the SmartPlug port and then use a waterproof connector on the outside. If interested I can provide a parts list and more details.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8211.jpg   IMG_8215.jpg   IMG_8221.jpg   IMG_8228.jpg  
gjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsheldon View Post
I faced this same dilemma when I installed my Starlink system in my 2021 5.0. I wanted a clean install that didn't require leaving a hatch open. Photos below show how I handled this. It did require drilling a round hole in the side into the lift jack compartment and cutting the Starlink cable so I could attach the RJ-45 ethernet connectors to the ends. This allows it to be plugged in to the inside fixed connector on the SmartPlug port and then use a waterproof connector on the outside. If interested I can provide a parts list and more details.
Please do share the details if you can.
kavm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
If you don't need the waterproof on the outside the Smart Plug is also available with two square openings that allow standard snap in pass thrus for antenna cable or RJ45 to be installed

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Power-In...ug/SM28VR.html

Charles
Old 03-06-2024, 11:50 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We do have Starlink and use the rear access hatch to get the wire out of the camper. We have the U-shaped dinette and our router sits on it. The coiled up wire sits in the storage area underneath the dinette. It works well enough for us.
This what we do as well. We plug the modem directly into the inverter and leave it in the storage area. We also use the rear hatch to access the pigtail for our portable solar panel.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 1997 Scamp 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
This what we do as well. We plug the modem directly into the inverter and leave it in the storage area. We also use the rear hatch to access the pigtail for our portable solar panel.
We are thinking of doing the same. Do you have pictures of how it looks on the outside and inside? Would greatly appreciate it!
TranquiLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:09 AM   #20

Just to wrap up: I opted for a basic plastic cable hatch, located on the rear passenger side adjacent to the battery vent. ETI installed for $50. In an ideal world I would have installed a Starlink-dedicated port as jgsheldon suggests. I asked but ETI would not do it. So, I decided to give the cheaper option a go. If I change my mind, I can always make it a mod project in future and repurpose the hole.