Furnace Diagnosing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2023, 09:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Furnace Diagnosing

I’ve just spent the weekend learning about my RV Furnace. Mine is a 2014 Atwood AFSAD 12121 but I think they all have a lot in common. Mine has a sail switch and an over limit switch and a flame sensor as part of the safety system. I’ve read that a lot of people replace the sail switch without doing any diagnostic work. If you have an electrical meter or even a 12 volt test light it is easy to check the sail switch before replacing it or even inspecting it. If the fan is running there should be 12 volts on both terminals on the switch. If there is, the switch is on and working. If you think it is intermittent then turn the fan off and on while checking both terminals for voltage. If you intermittently see no voltage on one of the terminals while the fan is on, then the switch is bad or dirty. Some people believe that the part is inexpensive so it’s an easy place to start. But if it’s cold outside and you need the furnace to work, it’s better to diagnose it if you can. There are some good videos on YouTube explaining how these furnaces work and how to diagnose and repair them. Some are presented as training videos for RV repair technicians.

If it’s not the sail switch it could be the over limit switch or the flame sensor in the burner. With a little YouTube you can probably figure it out based on what the symptoms are. A video I watched had a real problem furnace. In and out of the shop until they discovered the owner was putting carpet over the heater vents causing it to overheat at home and work fine at the shop. The electricity follows a step by step process thru the system as it activates. If you are handy enough to try to do this yourself you are probably handy enough to figure out where things are going wrong. Good Luck
Traildad is offline   Reply With Quote