Gen 2 top hinge window leak - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe it is 2 pieces glass glued to one another, with the inside piece smaller than the outside to fit inside the opening while the outside piece is flush against the exterior.
Interesting, then that is not really a thermal window if that is the case.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #62

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Interesting, then that is not really a thermal window if that is the case.
Except, that is probably not the case, if it is a thermal window, which is what is specified. It is likely two pieces of glass with an inert gas between, like thermal windows.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Except, that is probably not the case, if it is a thermal window, which is what is specified. It is likely two pieces of glass with an inert gas between, like thermal windows.
Jim is indicating it is just two pieces of glass glued together, with no vacuum/gas space between. Something's goofy if that is the case, cause all that would yield would be a thicker piece of glass. Maybe our resident researcher, Brian can find info.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I got this from Hehr windows-1/2" insulated glass (1/8" exterior glass - 1/4" dead air - 1/8" interior glass) offers air/water leakage protection.
You can interpret either way,......
Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I got this from Hehr windows-1/2" insulated glass (1/8" exterior glass - 1/4" dead air - 1/8" interior glass) offers air/water leakage protection.
You can interpret either way,......
There we go. Dead air space is what we're looking for. I couldn't find any info on the frameless thermals on Hehr's site, good digging.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #66

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Escape knows what a thermal window is and that is what they have had. And still have apparently.

There are some rare instances where owners have had a problem precisely due to that little air space getting condensation.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #67
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to chime in on the leaky window situation...

Yes, we have some faulty windows out there and we will be looking after them with Hehr's help. The California division of Hehr is new to building these windows and has gone through a bit of a learning curve in dialing these windows in. They are tricky to seal...as I have learned. Prior to using these windows, we never water tested windows as the old style windows never leaked. Now everything leaving the factory receives a thorough water test.

As for installing the EZ gutter, I looked at installing that as a preventative measure, but once in place, it was obvious it would not help at all on the frameless window.

If water is running inside the window pane, the water is getting past the perimeter seal between the glass and the window frame. Really, the only fix is to remove the glass and replace the seal or replace the entire window. For anyone close to Escape Trailer Industries, we will repair the window. For those not, Hehr will replace the window. Now that we are water testing the windows before they leave, we are catching any problems before they get away from us.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks for the update, and as usual, great customer service, Reace.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello everyone!

Yes, we have some faulty windows out there and we will be looking after them with Hehr's help. The California division of Hehr is new to building these windows and has gone through a bit of a learning curve in dialing these windows in. They are tricky to seal...as I have learned. Prior to using these windows, we never water tested windows as the old style windows never leaked. Now everything leaving the factory receives a thorough water test.

As for installing the EZ gutter, I looked at installing that as a preventative measure, but once in place, it was obvious it would not help at all on the frameless window.

If water is running inside the window pane, the water is getting past the perimeter seal between the glass and the window frame. Really, the only fix is to remove the glass and replace the seal or replace the entire window. For anyone close to Escape Trailer Industries, we will repair the window. For those not, Hehr will replace the window. Now that we are water testing the windows before they leave, we are catching any problems before they get away from us.

Reace
Reace,

Thanks so much for this. As one who will be there next month to pick up our new 21', this is great to know. So far, the whole experience with Escape trailers has been excellent!
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #70
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Stellar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #71

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 "Pied Beauty"
Thanks so much Reace. I knew ETI would come through resolvngi this issue. . Susan
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello everyone!

Reace
Reace

Just wondering when you started the water testing and what production dates should be Ok.

Thanks for the information!!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Reace, you kinda put a quick end to all the doom and gloom talk, and quickly found solution to a problem. Way to go.

I water tested my own trailer, and can confirm to date it has passed with flying colours.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #74

Glad yours aren't leaking, Jim, but the OP's are and since Hehr has acknowledged they sent defective windows that were installed on ?? trailers it will be a PITA for those that are affected. Didn't see any doom n gloom here as the OP discovered a mfgr defect early in the process that will prevent the problem from continuing, getting worse and affecting more people. That's why in the 2nd post I recommended the OP go right to ETI on this one, new windows shouldn't be leaking.
Of course, ETI and Hehr will fix this, but it doesn't change what the folks will have to deal with that do have the defective windows and I for one feel their pain.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Glad yours aren't leaking, Jim, but the OP's are and since Hehr has acknowledged they sent defective windows that were installed on ?? trailers it will be a PITA for those that are affected. Didn't see any doom n gloom here as the OP discovered a mfgr defect early in the process that will prevent the problem from continuing, getting worse and affecting more people. That's why in the 2nd post I recommended the OP go right to ETI on this one, new windows shouldn't be leaking.
Of course, ETI and Hehr will fix this, but it doesn't change what the folks will have to deal with that do have the defective windows and I for one feel their pain.
Greg, not sure what you are reading into my post, but I think it is a great thing that Reace and Escape have partnered up with Hehr to deal with it.

By doom an gloom I was just referring to all the negativity posted before, members wondering if there was a better alternative, maybe we should go back to the sliders, and so on. That is all. I never mentioned anything about those affected. I am just all for keeping a positive attitude when dealing with a negative situation. Works for me.

It will be a bother to for anyone affected, and who knows, mine might develop a leak too, but I AM glad it is being addressed, and rest well assured it will be taken care of.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #76

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just re-read the entire thread and I didn't notice any negativity, just people trying to figure out how to resolve the leaking- often by themselves!

I did see that post #12 & 23 indicated the problem was with installation not the window.

Leaking trailers are of course a concern and the Gen 2 trailers have two different problems going on at present that the Gen1 trailers did not have. It shouldn't be viewed as negative or anything else to state the facts.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #77

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I agree. So far, knock on fiberglass, nothing has gone wrong with our trailer, but living 3500 miles away from Escape if something were to go wrong, I would be looking at a make-do fix, rather than having Escape properly fix it. Folks that live near the factory may look at problems as less bothersome. Of course, we were near the end Classic 5.0TA models built, so I'm not expecting much to go wrong.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #78

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Reace, you kinda put a quick end to all the doom and gloom talk. Way to go.
I water tested my own trailer, and can confirm to date it has passed with flying colours.
Yes, as a buyer glad to hear ETI and HEHR is addressing the issue ..also glad to hear your trailer passed a water test, obviously some buyers were not as lucky as their trailers never were water tested before delivery...
opinions may vary, but never thought of the previous thread discussion as a "doom and gloom talk" discussion...buyers who bravely posted their concerns and issues.... and others who commented in trying to help illuminate a window and/or seal issue with perhaps finding an alternative solution other than applying "elephant snot" or silicone to the windows.
ETI comment :
" Prior to using these windows, we never water tested windows as the old style windows never leaked. "
that may be somewhat reassuring for those buyers who when given the choice selected slider type windows and may also be a bit hesitant in adopting the latest and greatest (unproven) equipment on a trailer ...at least until it's tested.

sometimes this decision is appropriate ..if it ain't broke ...you don't need to fix it...

and a heartfelt thanks to those early adopters of Gen2 trailers, who have bravely posted any issues they have experienced...... so the rest of us that want to , may learn...and perhaps improve ETI trailers
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #79

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Water tested all our windows yesterday. I had DW stand on a ladder and flood the top of the windows with a hose which is much more water than we would experience in a rain. On the rear window I could see some drops running down between the gaskets to the bottom of the window and than water exiting between the 2 half's in the center. It appears this window may channel the water this way by looking at the design of the gaskets. Never got any water inside. This could be an issue if these drain tracks ever became plugged with debris. None of our other windows showed any sign of leaks.

Leaving on a trip this week so will keep a eye on them (if we go camping it will rain).

This picture was taken from inside of the PS of the rear window.

I cant figure out why some of my pictures need rotating now but if a Mod could rotate it for me I would appreciate it.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #80

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: KountryKamper... I've heard it's all in the way you "Hold the phone". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote