Grease Gun Recomendation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2024, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE F2
Grease Gun Recomendation

I discovered our 2023 21NE seems to have too much bearing play on the 2 rear tires, so I'm going to attempt to snug them up. Figure I may as well perform it's first bearing grease while I'm at it. We have approx 5K miles on it so far, but have a 5 week tripped planned later this summer to the explore the Canadien Rockies and visit Escape for some minor warranty work.

This will be my first time doing bearing maintenance on a trailer. I've watched several videos and read many threads on the process but there is 1 piece of info I haven't found any info on. What is the best grease gun for the backyard mechanic for this job? I've never owned one before so hope to buy the correct gun on the first try!
John From MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I can't recommend a brand since I have had mine so long, I can't remember what brand it was. I can tell you I bought it at NAPA over 20 years ago. I can also say I prefer a hose type rather than fixed nozzle. Just works better for me.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Almost any grease gun will work, even the mini ones. I do recommend using a bearing packer (Amazon has several). The one I use is $7.99 and is essentially two cones on a shaft with a grease fitting on the top. I find using a packer is less messy than hand packing, and will completely fill the voids within the bearing. Others packers do not require a grease gun.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Almost any grease gun will work, even the mini ones. I do recommend using a bearing packer (Amazon has several). The one I use is $7.99 and is essentially two cones on a shaft with a grease fitting on the top. I find using a packer is less messy than hand packing, and will completely fill the voids within the bearing. Others packers do not require a grease gun.
Ditto on the bearing packer. As much as I find packing bearings by hand zen-like, a basic packer will serve you well.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From MN View Post

What is the best grease gun for the backyard mechanic for this job?
I'd say the one that puts out the least possible grease. I'd only use one if I had a boat trailer that was constantly being immersed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Ditto on the bearing packer. As much as I find packing bearings by hand zen-like, a basic packer will serve you well.
Zen-like indeed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 05:09 PM   #6

Thanks all for the tips! To clarify, this year I'm not planning on pulling the bearings and packing them, I'm just gonna use the EZ lube feature of squirting in new grease until the old grease gets forced out. Next year I'll be re-packing them. So this year, I'll need a grease gun.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a good grease gun, have had it for quite some time. When first doing my new bearings I ended up having to get a slightly smaller in diameter coupler for it or it wouldn't push in the opening around the nipple.

With only 5,000 miles on it so far, I would wait at least until the end of your next trip. I do around 30,000 km (18,000 mi) between greasings and have done so with my past 20 or so trailers. I will check the king nut between and adjust if needed, but that rarely has happened.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

I'm just gonna use the EZ lube feature of squirting in new grease until the old grease gets forced out.
The problem with grease being forced out is that it can also get past the grease seal and onto the brake linings. Lot's of grease coming out isn't necessarily a good thing. In this case less is good.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Thanks all for the tips! To clarify, this year I'm not planning on pulling the bearings and packing them, I'm just gonna use the EZ lube feature of squirting in new grease until the old grease gets forced out. Next year I'll be re-packing them. So this year, I'll need a grease gun.
Hi, John. We had an RV tech repack our bearings earlier this year for the start of our camping season. I didn’t trust myself to do it this first time because I haven’t a clue what to look for to spot any trouble. It’s a good thing we brought in an expert.

We had about 10,000 miles on our 21C, and the RV tech said the condition of the bearing grease was very puzzling. He said on the driver’s side of the trailer, the grease in both wheels had a layer of dark grease with a layer of fresher, newer looking grease. He thought someone had pumped in new grease. On the passenger side, one wheel had grease that appeared to be in good condition but it was very sparse. The other passenger wheel’s bearing grease stunned him. In his opinion, it was not the proper high temperature grease. He said it looked and smelled “burnt.” Yikes!

He said he inspected all the bearings and their tracks, and we were fortunate that all are still in excellent condition. He said it was a good thing we had this work done before we went out on a long trip again. He hand packed all the bearings and said we’re ready to roll now.

Just a word of caution not to wait too long for that first good look at the bearings in your trailer.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Whether you do it yourself or get a competent mechanic I like to know for sure that there’s.
“Baseline” that I can trust and base my future service on. So I think you did the prudent thing with your trailer . Not that my opinion is worth much but I’m in total agreement with clean grease, all the same brand and the correct grade made for the application at hand.
I pack the bearings by hand but I’m willing to bet I have the oldest bearing backing device most folks have ever seen. I’ve had it since I was 16, 60 years ago and it was old when I got
It. I’ll post a photo when I find it. Or if .
Iowa Dave
Old 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Thanks, Dave, and your opinion means a lot to us relative newbies. Always enjoy reading your posts.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The problem with grease being forced out is that it can also get past the grease seal and onto the brake linings. Lot's of grease coming out isn't necessarily a good thing. In this case less is good.

Ron
I definitely agree with you Ron. For the reason you state, I NEVER use the EZ-Lube feature, nor have I ever found any existing problem with grease when I serviced the bearings. Years ago I settled on Lucas Red ‘N Tacky and use it for almost all of my greasing needs. Even in Florid’s summer heat, I don’t find any red “drips” around the hubs from the grease’s oil separating from the carrier component.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 2024 Escape 19 F1 (ordered)
Quote:
This will be my first time doing bearing maintenance on a trailer. I've watched several videos and read many threads on the process but there is 1 piece of info I haven't found any info on. What is the best grease gun for the backyard mechanic for this job? I've never owned one before so hope to buy the correct gun on the first try!

As others have said, its better to repack the bearings then to use the grease zirk fittings on the wheel hub. See below for an effective bearing packer:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-H...3535531&sr=8-5

And, your question was about a grease gun recommendation... Here is the one I use and its absolutely excellent:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-19-2024, 09:30 AM   #14

Thanks all form the advice! Food for thought for sure!
Old 04-19-2024, 10:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Here’s a little walk down memory lane for me. It’s my Dad’s Graco wheel bearing packer. Made in Minneapolis it’s more than 60 years old, Probably closer to 80. Silver disc is threaded in the center and screws off, bearing inserted on the base. Disc is screwed back down tight. Grease is applied with grease gun through Zerk fitting and forced through bearing. As I’ve stated before, my dad was very serious about grease and oil. As a member of the Third Armored Division in the Western offensive in World War Two, The Spearheads had to be ready to roll at all times. The collar insignia said it all “Victory or Death”. It’s all Zen like for me.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6536.jpg  
Old 04-24-2024, 01:52 PM   #16

Trailer: Leaning towards a new 21’
I recently did my first bearing repack/check and used the following UTOOL items: https://a.co/d/g4L7X0k quick release coupler and https://a.co/d/fBkvaLY. Grease gun.

They worked like a charm. I used the EZ lube fittings and found that it took less than1.5 tubes to do all four wheels. The old grease was slightly discolored and I used Lucas red and tacky.

Since this was my first time I also pulled the hubs to check the grease dispersion and seals as well as the Nev-R-Adjust brakes.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post
I recently did my first bearing repack/check and used the following UTOOL items: https://a.co/d/g4L7X0k quick release coupler and https://a.co/d/fBkvaLY. Grease gun.

They worked like a charm. I used the EZ lube fittings and found that it took less than1.5 tubes to do all four wheels. The old grease was slightly discolored and I used Lucas red and tacky.

Since this was my first time I also pulled the hubs to check the grease dispersion and seals as well as the Nev-R-Adjust brakes.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2024, 08:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by peleuba View Post
As others have said, its better to repack the bearings then to use the grease zirk fittings on the wheel hub. See below for an effective bearing packer:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-H...3535531&sr=8-5

And, your question was about a grease gun recommendation... Here is the one I use and its absolutely excellent:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I agree! This is the grease gun I have and it's fabulous!!
chuckwhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Good Lord!

The Almighty gave us all a superb, effective, and fully functional wheel bearing grease device, all in the palm of your hand. What more can one ask for? Git your gadget, gizmo or other contraption to do the deed, but a palm, with a healthy dollop of proper grease, can fill a bearing just swell. I'd had & tried a grease contraption once, and I don't recall what happened to it, but it did not impress me one iota.

I assume, this manual method of greasing a bearing is also why the Great Spirit gave us paper towels.

Say Hallelujah, fellow grease monkeys!
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
I would like to hear from anyone that has had a seal failure that allowed grease into the brake lining. A lot of postings on theory, not many on actual experience.

I have used the EZ-Lube system on several trailer for several years and have never had grease go into the brake lining.

Also, if you do use the EZ-Lube system the best grease gun I've ever used and owned is the Dewalt 20V MAX Lithium Ion Grease Gun DCGG571M1
SkipperClyde is offline   Reply With Quote